Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford Expedition Trailer Wiring Fault

On Sat 1/23 we picked up our brand new Imagine 2800BH. After the walk through the sales guy drove it off the lot to a lot behind the dealership and we were about to do a "test drive". When I got in I noticed a Trailer Wiring Fault on our 2020 Ford Expedition. The Expedition has the max trail package with integrated trailer brake controller and the pro backup assist. I asked the salesman if it was an issue and he said he wanted to ask the shop guys about it. After about 10 min he came back and said they looked it up and that its an issue with the Ford software. Said that everything is working and we just need to take the Expedition in to get the software updated. We had already planned to take the vehicle to the dealership this week anyway so everything was going to work out. The dealership said there is no issue with the Ford. I don't trust them though. So, now I've read through all the forum posts I can and just wanted to get folks opinion.

Here is what I am planning to do. I would love advice.
    1. Hook the Ford up to a buddy's travel trail and see if the fault appears. This should tell me if its the Ford or the trailer
    2. If its the Ford, push the dealership harder.
    3. If its the trailer, maybe hook it to my buddy's truck and see if he gets a similar fault. He has a Chevy.
    4. After reading the other threads on this I will have some troubleshooting to do.
    a. Inspect the connectors for water/corrosion
    b. Check the break away switch
    c. Check the connection box for loose wires
    d. Check the crimp connectors for the brake wiring at the wheels

This trailer is brand new and had probably only been on the lot for a month or two due to demand, is this more likely to be a trailer or tow vehicle issue?

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a Ford, the trailer wiring fault means there is a short on the trailer brake circuit or a failed break away switch per the Ford owners manual. Also, with the message active, the trailer brakes will not be engaged. It is easy for the RV dealer to blame your Expedition. I'm not saying it isnt your Expedition, but it is a good idea to try your vehicle on a buddy's trailer to help isolate the problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I hooked my Expedition up to my buddy's camper yesterday. Sure enough the Trailer Wiring Fault message came up. I think that confirms that its the vehicle and not the trailer.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sutherlandjl View Post
    Ok, I hooked my Expedition up to my buddy's camper yesterday. Sure enough the Trailer Wiring Fault message came up. I think that confirms that its the vehicle and not the trailer.
    Well at least you know where to start now. Check your plug for any water/condensation, sometimes dielectric grease helps. Hopefully it's something simple.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH