User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The difference between a 19-20 Ram 2500 and 3500 CTD?

So the age old question is what is the difference between the two models between a 2500 and 3500. If you get same transmission and motor what changes. I hear a lot of people say the braking and stopping power (false). Both come with the same brakes and same calipers. Exhaust brake? (False) the same. We can go from point to point and find that all our the same, except springs. 2500 coil 3500 leaf. What makes the 3500 have a higher weight rating is it the springs itself? I believe not, the attachment of springs on 3500 has 8 pressure points (axle, front of axle at frame, rear of axle at frame, and tires) this disperses weight. Now, a 2500 uses 6 pressure points (1 at axle and 1 directly above axle at frame and tires). Obviously the weight would be dispersed more evenly with a 3500.
    So the next question is how about axles, are they the same from a 2500 to a 3500 DRW OR SRW? In my research yes if you have a 3.73 gear. What changes "spacers", yes spacers are put on the axle to give you DRW (axle is the same). You can call your Ram Dealer and order the spacers. Have you looked at a DRW to SRW what happens to weight capacity? That's right it increases. Why? Is it the brakes? Nope the same again, Springs are the same from a 3500 across the board. So the conclusion is more tires add another pressure point. This would be 2500 from 6 single pressure points if spacers are added for DRW you would increase to 8 pressure points. As the 3500 would go from 8 pressure points to 10 pressure points.
    Now, the next question is, Why do I have sag when hooked up to my trailer and how do I correct it? We'll sag occurs when springs start absorbing weight and compress them. I hear a lot of people on here and other sites state you need airbags to level (even the weight police). So what happens when you add airbags? You guest it more pressure points are added. 4 more or 8 if you go with a quad bag system.
    The next question I hear from a lot of people is what does your B Pillar by the seat belt say? "That is your weight capacity." My question is wonder if my B pillar tag is missing. Then what? DOT will go off your door tag which is in some cases are different from B pillar tag. Why is there a difference from door tag to B pillar tag? Not, sure on my end, but I know DOT uses door tag (Not B Pillar tag "experienced it directly").

Let's look at a hypothetical. "I add more pressure points equals more weight capacity for my vehicle, Right?" No! A 400lb man can lay on 1 nail and get severely hurt, but 500 nails might only leave a mark. "Why is this? more pressure points Right?" Yes! Your door sticker is the only thing you can go by even if you exceed the door sticker that states your GAWR. You are in the wrong as per manufacture of your vehicle is rated for this much weight at factory and no more. Can I get a new sticker? Possibly by a truck up-fitter, not sure never looked into it. The manufacturer dictates your weight capacity even after purchase even if you add all these options that could or possibly might change weight rating, as shown above. These changes do not change weight capacity from door sticker which is "The current law" and should not be exceeded even after modifications.

Now, at the conclusion of this article always obey the law and be safe out there.
    (Definitely not weight Police "Just food for thought")

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having owned both the 2500 and 3500 Ram trucks in question here I would say the difference is in the rear springs. The rear springs on the 2500 are set up to first provide a smooth ride, and second carry cargo. The rear springs on the 3500 are set up to first carry cargo, and second provide a smooth ride. You could change to a higher rate coil on a 2500 to allow more cargo carrying with less sag, but you would lose ride quality. You could change to a lower rate leaf on a 3500 to provide a better ride, but you would lose cargo carrying capacity. I'm not sure what any of that has to do with a bed of nails though.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pressure points are what dictates the actual weight capacity not stronger or weaker spring. The bed of nails reference is the dispersion of weight that is transferred in an explanation of this. You cannot have weight capacity increased at a single pressure point without jeopardizing handling from sway, tire failure ect. If you disperse or add multiple pressure points you could actually consider more weight, but then again you have to follow your door tag issued by manufacturer. So these upgrades mean nothing even after you do.