User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WW –

I think your thought process - regarding loads, durations, power sources, etc. - is spot-on. My wife and I full-time in a 2018 Reflection 337RLS. We can boondock comfortably for a week, including loads needed to support full-time remote work, with a fairly basic setup – and rarely requiring running a similar Yamaha generator. Here’s our configuration, if it helps:

Battery Monitor – When getting started, I put in a Victron battery monitor to get an accurate read on our loads, charge/discharge rate, and % capacity. That information is great for monitoring usage and helping with decisions on upgrade needs.

Battery Upgrade – As suggested by others above, we replaced the single factory installed Group 27 lead-acid battery up in our front bay with a pair of 6 volt flooded golf cart batteries (wired in series), increasing us from around 85 Ah up to 215 Ah. We added another 65 lbs, but it didn’t cost us much in storage space. Cost of the flooded batteries is very reasonable, as well, and they’re rugged and dependable.

Solar – To reduce dependency on the generator, we added 700W of solar to our roof. Many full-timers doing a lot of boondocking might consider this underkill, but we were trying to keep costs down. As it turns out, if we’ve got good sun, we can generally recharge from 60% to 90% capacity by noon – and it’s rare that we won’t be fully recharged by the end of the day. In those cases, running our generator 2-3 hours gives us back the energy we need.

We also put in a 2kW Go Power inverter/charger, which lets us run the microwave, TV, etc. off the battery.

I would echo the previous statement about the furnace blowers being a BIG consumer. Our energy usage, especially overnight, increases significantly when camping in colder areas. As far as the air conditioner goes, our strategy is to avoid needing it. We tend to move with the seasons a bit, use shades and fans at strategic times, etc., and it works for us.

As they say, your mileage may vary; but, hopefully, this will give you some things to consider.

- uj
    2018 GD Reflection 337RLS
    2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Duramax - aka "Doug"
    Full-timing since Nov 2018
    https://thegreatmoldescape.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator / Battery use

Quote Originally Posted by weekend warrior View Post
    Hey Everyone. I would like some input on what energy requirements I would need to dry camp in the Blue Ridge Mtns this summer for a few nights. I understand basic concepts of 12v vs AC power and how that relates to my rig, but I'm not very technical when it comes to amp hour requirements or other technical aspects.

We have a new Reflection 31MB we bought last fall with the single stock battery, nothing else.

I would plan to bring my generator (Honda EU2200i) but only use it limited and as needed, being mindful of the noise (even an inverter is not "quiet").

Here is how I would plan to manage our dry camping system:
    - No A/C (plan to camp in the mountains 2,000ft+ elevation where its shaded). Maybe use A/C from genny in middle of the afternoon if its really hot and we happen to be in the rig, but otherwise I wouldn't plan on needing A/C
    - Run ceiling exhaust fans on battery a few hours a day - when taking a hockey, and maybe at the end of the day to help cool the rig down before we go to bed.
    - Run water pump on battery the entire trip
    - Run lights only 3-4 hours a day, either early in morning or at night before bed
    - Run fridge on propane, however I know it still draws SOME battery power
    - Charge small electronics through USB charging ports
    - Run hot water heater on propane, only when we need hot water
    - If we need the microwave for something quick, we could use the generator for a quick cycle.

I am considering adding 2 deep cycle batteries in the rig for extra capacity (replacing the stock one), and charging those batteries 1-2x per day with the generator. I wouldn't be opposed to getting 1-2 solar panels for this task, but the campground I am looking at is very shaded...

Do y'all think that based on my needs stated above, having two batteries power our needs and charging daily with a generator is reasonable?
    We mostly boondock, we bought a Honda eu3000 in 2006. It stays in the back of pickup. I run it with canopy lid open...never a problem. It quiets it down somewhat also. I installed 2 Trojan T-105 batteries. We can go 3 nights using the furnace, water heater (on full-time), water pump, 3 or 4 hours of lights, fridge...We usually run the generator during breakfast for about an hour to charge the batteries and use the coffeemaker, but forgot to load it one trip and in 17 degree fahrenheit temperature the furnace quit at 4:00 am on the 4th night. I had to start the pickup up and wait 10/20 minutes for the batteries get charged up a bit before the furnace would work. The furnace ran for 15 minutes, shut off for 15 minutes and turned back on. It was a bit cold outside though. Waiting for solar to get a LOT cheaper before I want to put any money that direction. Two. 6-volt batteries and I think you are good to go.
    2007 Ram 5.9 CTD 4x4 LB
    2019 Imagine 2500RL

Fireside Member Jefferson Beifuss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by weekend warrior View Post
    Hey Everyone. I would like some input on what energy requirements I would need to dry camp in the Blue Ridge Mtns this summer for a few nights. I understand basic concepts of 12v vs AC power and how that relates to my rig, but I'm not very technical when it comes to amp hour requirements or other technical aspects.

We have a new Reflection 31MB we bought last fall with the single stock battery, nothing else.

I would plan to bring my generator (Honda EU2200i) but only use it limited and as needed, being mindful of the noise (even an inverter is not "quiet").

Here is how I would plan to manage our dry camping system:
    - No A/C (plan to camp in the mountains 2,000ft+ elevation where its shaded). Maybe use A/C from genny in middle of the afternoon if its really hot and we happen to be in the rig, but otherwise I wouldn't plan on needing A/C
    - Run ceiling exhaust fans on battery a few hours a day - when taking a hockey, and maybe at the end of the day to help cool the rig down before we go to bed.
    - Run water pump on battery the entire trip
    - Run lights only 3-4 hours a day, either early in morning or at night before bed
    - Run fridge on propane, however I know it still draws SOME battery power
    - Charge small electronics through USB charging ports
    - Run hot water heater on propane, only when we need hot water
    - If we need the microwave for something quick, we could use the generator for a quick cycle.

I am considering adding 2 deep cycle batteries in the rig for extra capacity (replacing the stock one), and charging those batteries 1-2x per day with the generator. I wouldn't be opposed to getting 1-2 solar panels for this task, but the campground I am looking at is very shaded...

Do y'all think that based on my needs stated above, having two batteries power our needs and charging daily with a generator is reasonable?
    I would second what avf100 cautioned about a 2200w generator running your ac. Your generator recharges your batteries, first of all. It is your battery bank that will provide the basis for a little bit of power to your ac (read; not much). I run 2 2000 w inverter chargers in parallel to provide 30 amps of power. I have a Soft Start on my main ac and 2 (mostly dead) agms to power my system. I will be converting to lithium, once I collect the parts needed. But, that's me. My suggestion to you is do some more research on the issue of a 2200w generator powering your ac. That seems to be a weak spot. Good luck and have fun!
    Jeff & Jean
    2015 GD Reflection 337RLS, Goodyear Endurance tires, JT Strongarm stabilizers
    2015 Ford F-350 SRW Lariat, w/ Sulastic spring shackles, Rancho shocks, airbag, 80 gal supplemental fuel tank, Curt Q20 hitch, Access rollup cover

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you install a fast start on you AC (13K BTU), you can run it with a 2000 watt gen. I have the same battery set up and I put a “Easystart 364 from Hutchins and It runs AC fine and charges the battery at the same time. We camp at Smokemomt
    , Cades Cove and other Smokey Mtns campgrounds for a Week at a time and never had issues with power.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or just buy a Westinghouse/ Cummins 4500 or Champion 3500 from jump street and never worry about spending extra money on soft start.

Now if your running the AC with a 2200 god forbid you want to make coffee, charge the batteries. Why jury rig / live on the upper edge when you can get a generator which handles the loads no sweat.

BTW the afore mentioned inverter generators are cheaper than the 2200 and have electrical and remote starts. Some are dual fuel. All are very very quiet.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those that might be using their generator to top off the batteries, think about getting a better converter.

A 4 stage converter like the Progressive Dynamics PD9160AV 9100 Converter/Charger - 60 Amp with the Charge Wizard. The Charge Wizard selects one of three charging voltages: 14.4, 13.6, or 13.2; and one of four operating modes (Boost, Normal, Storage or Desulfation) to properly re-charge or maintain the battery. If you manually select "boost" the converter will pack in 14.4 v DC into the batteries. It will not over charge either, if 14.4 is not the proper current as the batteries get charged.
    This and other converters like this will extend your battery life. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    For those that might be using their generator to top off the batteries, think about getting a better converter.

A 4 stage converter like the Progressive Dynamics PD9160AV 9100 Converter/Charger - 60 Amp with the Charge Wizard. The Charge Wizard selects one of three charging voltages: 14.4, 13.6, or 13.2; and one of four operating modes (Boost, Normal, Storage or Desulfation) to properly re-charge or maintain the battery. If you manually select "boost" the converter will pack in 14.4 v DC into the batteries. It will not over charge either, if 14.4 is not the proper current as the batteries get charged.
    This and other converters like this will extend your battery life. KEN
    Good advice, I had a 4 stage Progressive Dynamics Converter on my last rig and I was very happy.

If you do decide to take this advice, I would suggest you make certain the Converter is capable of charging Lithium batteries as well. You never know when you find that great deal on a pair of Lithium batteries and you will want to upgrade. Best to have a Converter that is Lithium capable .
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Cpaps can draw plenty depends on model and humidity feature . My dream station draws 100volts X 7 hours = 700 dived by 12 volts = 58 amps per night. 35 without humidity feature on.
    My wife went with a CPAP with a battery. Will run 2 nights before needing a charge and can charge from battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin & Deb. 2021 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 Diesel SRW Platinum
    Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum Edition

[/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Good advice, I had a 4 stage Progressive Dynamics Converter on my last rig and I was very happy.

If you do decide to take this advice, I would suggest you make certain the Converter is capable of charging Lithium batteries as well. You never know when you find that great deal on a pair of Lithium batteries and you will want to upgrade. Best to have a Converter that is Lithium capable .
    I have a 4 stage Progressive Dynamics Converter 60w in my garage, because I installed a lithium system in the Solitude. I would love to sell it. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Fireside Member Jefferson Beifuss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    I have a 4 stage Progressive Dynamics Converter 60w in my garage, because I installed a lithium system in the Solitude. I would love to sell it. KEN
    Ken,
    Can we discuss your 60 amp charger? Is it still available? Which model is it? Is it lithium capable? Thanks.
    Jeff & Jean
    2015 GD Reflection 337RLS, Goodyear Endurance tires, JT Strongarm stabilizers
    2015 Ford F-350 SRW Lariat, w/ Sulastic spring shackles, Rancho shocks, airbag, 80 gal supplemental fuel tank, Curt Q20 hitch, Access rollup cover

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast