Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Generator

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator

Evening to all, wife and I are new to RV'ing, one of the things I would like to get at some point is a generator.....after looking at sooooo many, how does one know the watts to get? I know that it's a stupid "101" question, but, aren't new people allowed a few?
    I have looked at the Onan P2500i, P4500i, Champion 2500, 3400, Honda's EU2200i.....so many (and I'm not sold on any certain brand yet). Wife and I are mainly going to be at camp sites WITH electricity, but might venture off the grid a few times.....how do you convert watts into "what you need" power?

Thanks
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You will get someone many different responses to that question. Lol
    It all depends on what you want to run while one geny, how much you want to spend and how you want to run it.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really boils down to how you plan to use it.

If you plan to just keep the batteries tipped off, and maybe run micro or watch TV, 2000 watt 8s probably fine. Nice and light, quiet. If you want to run air, and maybe a bit more, you would need maybe a couple of paralleled 2200 Hondas or equivalent, orange something bigger like a 3k or 3500 watt.

Let us know how you plan to use it and we can better help.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    ... how does one know the watts to get?
    It depends on what you want to run and how many of those things will run concurrently. For example, you may get a generator that will power an A/C unit but if you turn on the microwave, electric fireplace, water heater or hair dryer at the same time, you will likely overload it. A 2200 class generator will power most everything except heavy loads (A/C, hair dryer, fireplace, microwave, etc). If you add an easy start to a 15k A/C unit, most 2200 watt generators will run it but not much else. Then of course, you could get two 2200watt generators and connect them to run in parallel which doubles the output. A 4500watt model will let you run a single A/C unit and many (but not all) of the other things in your RV concurrently.

To get a semi-accurate idea of what you really need, you need to make a list of all the items you plan to run and add up the wattage.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    It really boils down to how you plan to use it.

If you plan to just keep the batteries tipped off, and maybe run micro or watch TV, 2000 watt 8s probably fine. Nice and light, quiet. If you want to run air, and maybe a bit more, you would need maybe a couple of paralleled 2200 Hondas or equivalent, orange something bigger like a 3k or 3500 watt.

Let us know how you plan to use it and we can better help.
    Thanks for all the replies, not even sure what I will run, but hate buying something twice. Being new at this game, I only assume we will be more located and comfortable at KOA's, RV parks, on military bases and such, which I am sure will have electric, off the grid is a ways out there for us at this moment until we get comfortable with the rv life.

Thanks
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgpracer View Post
    ...off the grid is a ways out there for us at this moment until we get comfortable with the rv life.
    You could start with a single 2200 model. That would allow you to run some items and charge batteries. If that's all you end up needing, you have a nice smaller and lightweight generator. If it doesn't quite have enough power, you can add a second one later once you have a better feel for what your needs are. Quite a few people prefer two smaller regenerators connected in parallel anyway (vs one larger generator) because they are easier to move around.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am using a Harbor Freight Predator 3500. I mainly stay on Military bases anyway. I only need to use it for a night or two while in the overflow spots. Once we trade up I may need more power. Currently we are in the 2600RB. We are about to switch to the 337RLS. I'm not sure if I'll be able to run both A/C's on the new rig.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Barfield, thats what we are going to try and do als, stay on military bases, not sure how we are going ti handle our firearms situation. Normally,,we have to check them, so will probably do same.
    Generator is not a high priority, just future optiin.
    Thanks for your service sir.....
    Thanks
    Ray

QUOTE=Barfield2013;364075]I am using a Harbor Freight Predator 3500. I mainly stay on Military bases anyway. I only need to use it for a night or two while in the overflow spots. Once we trade up I may need more power. Currently we are in the 2600RB. We are about to switch to the 337RLS. I'm not sure if I'll be able to run both A/C's on the new rig.[/QUOTE]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ray, I'm located in ICT and ended up with the Westinghouse duel fuel after purchasing the Predator. I um, have the Predator for sale if you're interested. Also have most of the parts to convert to remote start. DM if interested.
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barfield2013 View Post
    I am using a Harbor Freight Predator 3500. I mainly stay on Military bases anyway. I only need to use it for a night or two while in the overflow spots. Once we trade up I may need more power. Currently we are in the 2600RB. We are about to switch to the 337RLS. I'm not sure if I'll be able to run both A/C's on the new rig.
    We have a 337 and a harbor freight predator 3500: It will run the main A/C and not a lot else. If we want to use the microwave, we'll run the bedroom A/C and close the vents so the air circulates through the whole camper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast