User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rewire 110v Line in underbelly

27RL - 2015 w 30,000 + miles ....... Line from panel to Fireplace has shorted somewhere in underbelly. I'm guessing its rubbed against something for the past 5 years , 30,000 miles. My question ...... has anyone pulled new wire through underbelly? Or run new line in conduit along frame exterior? Im inclined to do along frame in metal conduit but am open to suggestions and others experience dealing with same.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you dropped the underbelly the actual pulling wire part would be easy. Dropping the belly can have its own challenges but is doable. Also I know GD had a run of bad connectors in the underbelly. I cannot remember the name of them or positive they are used on your trailer. Apparently they are poor connectors to begin with and also may get wet. I agree though, you probably rubbed a wire through as there is no protection for them.
    2013 Ram Cummins 3500
    2019 GD 303RLS-SOLD

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look for this connector (as suggested above) just inside frame where wire goes through frame in that slide. Possibly broken, wet or bad install.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Connector.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	31862
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First two replies are correct.
    There is also a second one on our 29RS it is under a platform in storage compartment where
    The outside tv is located.
    The microwave, fireplace and fridge all run through it.
    I had problems with microwave and fireplace and both traced back to them.
    Milt

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GDogRV View Post
    27RL - 2015 w 30,000 + miles ....... Line from panel to Fireplace has shorted somewhere in underbelly. I'm guessing its rubbed against something for the past 5 years , 30,000 miles. My question ...... has anyone pulled new wire through underbelly? Or run new line in conduit along frame exterior? Im inclined to do along frame in metal conduit but am open to suggestions and others experience dealing with same.
    There is a recall on some GD trailers for the Molex connectors not being fastened to the frame and then they get wet and short out. I had mine done by the dealer, 3 times. First time recall was not done correctly and caused mine to short out due to now sitting in water. Second time dealer could not find an issue as everything seemed to work. Third time after I opened up the underbelly and took pictures of the recall not done correctly, dealer sent out an excellent tech who did what the first two should have done and now it is all good. So check out the Molex connectors as this is likely the problem.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justa5th View Post
    If you dropped the underbelly the actual pulling wire part would be easy. Dropping the belly can have its own challenges but is doable. Also I know GD had a run of bad connectors in the underbelly. I cannot remember the name of them or positive they are used on your trailer. Apparently they are poor connectors to begin with and also may get wet. I agree though, you probably rubbed a wire through as there is no protection for them.
    I just did a battery upgrade with inverter/charger. Began by inspecting the underbody because I wanted to put the batts and all other components in the Bed storage compartment. After taking a very close look (using a crawler) I said no thanks. The underbelly skin looks like a serious pain to deal with. Also, there are pipes that come from the covered area through slits in the plastic...doesn't even seem feasible to drop the underbelly!
    GoodOz

2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2018 F250 6.7 w/2219 available payload

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the Pic. Now I know what to look for. I decided to wait until I gat back home to do the repair / replacement. I will post findings / outcome mid May. We are in Fort Myers Beach Florida till then .... so I don't need the fireplace.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't mess with replacing plug in connectors. I use Ancor butt connectors. Use a single edge razor blade to slit and remove the nylon sheath. Crimp with QUALITY crimpers and cover with adhesive lined heat shrink. When the adhesive oozes out the ends of the tubing you're good. Removing the nylon sheath before crimping makes a really nice connection.
    Avoid solder. While electrically sound, it creates a poor mechanical connection that can fracture under vibration. It you have a good crimp it just isn't needed. I've done thousands of them in the marine business and have never had a failure. Same applies for battery cables/lugs.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for info. I now know the connector must have gotten wet. After being parked here in Florida for a month I tried energizing the fireplace circuit ....... and all was good. It operated fine and did not trip breaker. So when I get home I will drop the underbelly and replace the plug in connector with butt connectors as you suggested. I will post final outcome to this page.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opened the underbelly and the 110v connector between slide and frame was bad. My guess is it got wet and shorted. The other connector for 110v to TV was ok but I replaced anyway. I just did a waterproof butt splice w heavy shrink wrap to water proof and protect from abrasion. No matter what you do stuff is always moving and shaking. Re-energized both circuits and all good. Also repositioned and attached the 110v lines and 12v lines w vinyl zip ties to frame cross pieces while I was at it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast