User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLR650goldwing View Post
    Wonderful information, thank you. Based on what you all said, a couple questions popped up: Do we need reservations to get into the parks? We already have reservations at RV parks which are located very near the National Parks. We were thinking we could just drive the truck to see the parks during the day and return to the RV at the end of the day. We might also rent a motorcycle to tour the parks on, not sure on that idea yet.
    My advice would be to check each park you plan to visit to see if reservations are required. I understand Yosemite is going to require them, no doubt others will follow.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have time you may wish to make a side trip to Lake Powell and rent a boat for a day. Don't plan on seeing the whole lake though, it's got 2,000 of shoreline but is is a beautiful body of water to be on. Spending a week on Powell in a houseboat is a great experience.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    Just a side note on a couple of highways you will want to avoid.

Highway 9 through Zion, it has a couple of low tunnels you will not be able to go through.

Highway 12 from the junction to Bryce City has a tunnel on it, GPS and low clearance data bases list it at 13' 4", however that's the edges. The center is around 14', we took our 13' 8" 5th wheel through it fine.

Highway 12 past Bryce to Escalante gets really steep, but most of the steep parts are short. Highway 12 from Escalante to Highway 24 is really gnarly. Great motorcycle ride, I chose to drive around it pulling the 5th wheel.
    Are you referring to the "Red Canyon Arch"?....that is located on Rt. 12 between US 89 and Bryce, where Ruby's Inn and RV campground is located?
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Are you referring to the "Red Canyon Arch"?....that is located on Rt. 12 between US 89 and Bryce, where Ruby's Inn and RV campground is located?
    Yes. First time through I had a GPS that had low clearance information, it tried to route me around that section of road. I talked to the folks at Ruby's Inn, they told me people take big rv's through there all the time. I drove down the middle of the road and cleared it just fine with my 13' 8" 5th wheel. The sign on the road say's it's 13' 6" clearance.
    Last edited by D2Reid; 02-06-2021 at 09:00 AM.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. First time through I had a GPS that had low clearance information, it tried to route me around that section of road. I talked to the folks at Ruby's Inn, they told me people take big rv's through there all the time. I drove down the middle of the road and cleared it just fine with my 13' 8" 5th wheel.
    Thank you for the reply....good info to know. We will be out there in Sept as the third stop of our "Out West" tour and staying at Ruby's RV campground. I knew that arch was there on Rt. 12, and figured that there would be sufficient clearance, but then saw your post and it got me wondering. I'm right at 13' 6" and will make sure I time it traffic wise to be able to drive through there pretty much in the center of the road. Thanks again for the reply.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a great thread! Utah is on our must do list so I printed off all the recommendations listed here. Thanks for sharing your info.
    2020 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 Diesel
    Reflection 260 RD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TsnTexas View Post
    This is a great thread! Utah is on our must do list so I printed off all the recommendations listed here. Thanks for sharing your info.
    Jump down to the post "Help Route planning between Glacier and Arches National Park". There is some real good information about the Utah National Parks. We could not get reservations at Bryce Canyon so we stayed at Tropic Utah just off of route 12. Drove through the arch several times a day and we came in and went out through the arch.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. First time through I had a GPS that had low clearance information, it tried to route me around that section of road. I talked to the folks at Ruby's Inn, they told me people take big rv's through there all the time. I drove down the middle of the road and cleared it just fine with my 13' 8" 5th wheel. The sign on the road say's it's 13' 6" clearance.
    I dislike how ODOT tags some tunnels. Since the tunnel is marked with 11ft 6in. Garmin GPS thinks that is the height.

I have been thru this tunnel on US 101 on the Oregon Coast near Heceta Lighthouse many, many times. I know it's tall enough for large simi's, but traveling without the Solitude but using the GPS for practice it notified me of the low height. KEN

Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KLR650goldwing View Post
    Usually we winter on the Texas gulf coast, but due to Covid19, this winter, we are staying home in Minnesota. Which means we are currently cooped up and going crazy with cabin fever. Provided, we receive vaccinations by mid-April we will be heading out to Utah for about three weeks. We will tour each national park and most of the monuments. Just wondering if some of you, who have already been there, might have some suggestions : must see items etc. We'd love to read about whatever information you want to share. Every comment will help us deal with the cabin fever. Thank you.
    Also, try to get to Powell Lake through Page, AZ. Try to stay at Wahweap RV Park.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be traveling to Utah in April also.. thank you all for the valuable information..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast