User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Slide out toppers

We are anxiously awaiting our first GDRV, rolling off the line on March 15. Trying to get everything lined up. I would like to add slide out toppers (awnings) to my 337. I have heard that Carefree is the brand GD recommends. What are some of your opinions? I also hear that there might be issues working around the dinette slide patio awning, at least with other brands other than Carefree. Then lastly, has anyone installed these themselves?....thanks in advance, I’m sure I will be posting more questions later...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Advice, install as high as possible so that rain water will drain off fast. Also fabric needs to be tight and not sagging for rain water to run off. Seen lots of toppers that sag at campgrounds on campers and you don't want that.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HazeIsGood View Post
    We are anxiously awaiting our first GDRV, rolling off the line on March 15. Trying to get everything lined up. I would like to add slide out toppers (awnings) to my 337. I have heard that Carefree is the brand GD recommends. What are some of your opinions? I also hear that there might be issues working around the dinette slide patio awning, at least with other brands other than Carefree. Then lastly, has anyone installed these themselves?....thanks in advance, I’m sure I will be posting more questions later...
    I installed Lippert Solera on out 297RSTS but I also don't have the awning on any of my slideouts.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the dealer install toppers on our Imagine 2970RL before we took delivery. I am a DIY person so I was intending on doing it myself until my DW slapped me upside the head and said, "No the dealer will install them." Mostly because she ends up having to help me on MY DIY projects. I am VERY GLAD I had the dealer install them. There was way more thought, planning, and experience required than I would have had. As you mentioned and as shown in my picture there is a lot of congestion on the door side slide awning, other awning, and topper. There is maybe 1/4" clearance between the topper and the over door awning arm. They also used two different type brackets between the door side topper and street side topper. I guarantee you, having never done slide toppers before I would not have properly planned for the clearance issues with this install.

The dealer installed Lippert Solera to match the awnings. I do get some sag and rain water pooling in the topper on the door side. Not a big deal for me. The street side topper doesn't come out as far since it is the kitchen Schwintek slide and it has a much steeper slope than the door side.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-10-26_11-44-33.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	31872
    Mike & Lisa
    Central Florida
    2021 Imagine 2970RL
    1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OurNewEra View Post
    I had the dealer install toppers on our Imagine 2970RL before we took delivery. I am a DIY person so I was intending on doing it myself until my DW slapped me upside the head and said, "No the dealer will install them." Mostly because she ends up having to help me on MY DIY projects. I am VERY GLAD I had the dealer install them. There was way more thought, planning, and experience required than I would have had. As you mentioned and as shown in my picture there is a lot of congestion on the door side slide awning, other awning, and topper. There is maybe 1/4" clearance between the topper and the over door awning arm. They also used two different type brackets between the door side topper and street side topper. I guarantee you, having never done slide toppers before I would not have properly planned for the clearance issues with this install.

The dealer installed Lippert Solera to match the awnings. I do get some sag and rain water pooling in the topper on the door side. Not a big deal for me. The street side topper doesn't come out as far since it is the kitchen Schwintek slide and it has a much steeper slope than the door side.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-10-26_11-44-33.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	31872
    I think your DW and my DW are related. Lol or ghey got the same slapping lessons.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed Solera slide toppers on my 367BHS myself. Wasn't difficult. I installed on dining room slide over the awning, and works just fine, no interference.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    I installed Solera slide toppers on my 367BHS myself. Wasn't difficult. I installed on dining room slide over the awning, and works just fine, no interference.

Mike
    Thanks Mike. This is good to know. At some point I think DW and I may have a 367BHS or the 377/378MBS in our future. Maybe even move to a Paradigm 390MP. Some things like all pex plumbing and Azdel and no pleather furniture to peal that is appealing in the Alliance RVs but this is all still several years away.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't but this is a good video to watch. We have our main awning over the kitchen slide. The dealer said that a slide awning couldn't be installed over it, that there wasn't room. BTW, this video didn't change my DW's mind about having the dealer do it, either. Good luck.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF05R2ruSRw
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just installed 3 Solera slide toppers on my 2018 337, so easy I couldn't believe it. My wife was able to help with both of the long ones with no problem. The curb slide isn't as hard as it seems, just keep the bracket as low as possible on the T-Flange and you should be fine. I ordered the 12' topper for the curb slide so I can cheat it to the rear to clear the main awning. I bought all 3 at etrailer.com.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am looking to do this on my 295rl before I head to the fort in Orlando this January.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast