User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having been an owner of the Blue Ox Sway Pro on a previous trailer, I will offer this up for you. I really hated the pullups that come stock with the B.O. Sway pro, using the chains. I researched a bit and discovered the StrapTek system, which replaces the OEM pullups that come with the Sway Pro. To me, when you use the wrench that comes with the Sway Pro and you are disengaging the chains and releasing the tension, it can be somewhat dangerous because once the cam reaches the "breakover" point, it's almost uncontrollable and easy to get hurt.

Here is a link to the StrapTek winch system that many, many Sway Pro users have switched to, including me when I still had my tow behind trailer. If you need or want more info on them, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to talk to you about the system.

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-33585...ag=googhydr-20

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with the product (StrapTek) and have nothing to gain by suggesting it's use.....I was just a totally happy consumer that wants to pass along some good info. Also, the link above is from Amazon and it may or may not be the best pricing you can find on this product.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Having been an owner of the Blue Ox Sway Pro on a previous trailer, I will offer this up for you. I really hated the pullups that come stock with the B.O. Sway pro, using the chains. I researched a bit and discovered the StrapTek system, which replaces the OEM pullups that come with the Sway Pro. To me, when you use the wrench that comes with the Sway Pro and you are disengaging the chains and releasing the tension, it can be somewhat dangerous because once the cam reaches the "breakover" point, it's almost uncontrollable and easy to get hurt.

Here is a link to the StrapTek winch system that many, many Sway Pro users have switched to, including me when I still had my tow behind trailer. If you need or want more info on them, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to talk to you about the system.

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-33585...ag=googhydr-20

Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with the product (StrapTek) and have nothing to gain by suggesting it's use.....I was just a totally happy consumer that wants to pass along some good info. Also, the link above is from Amazon and it may or may not be the best pricing you can find on this product.
    Why bother buying it and spending another $167? Your Advice should be don’t buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreenblade View Post
    Why bother buying it and spending another $167? Your Advice should be don’t buy it.

A couple of reasons...1. The Blue Ox Sway Pro is a great WD hitch that works extremely well for sway control AND Weight Distribution. 2. When I bought mine, it was the first ever time in my life that I had needed a WD hitch and after all the reviews that I read, including the fact that you could leave it engaged while backing up the trailer, it was the one that I decided to go with. Only after buying and using it did I come to realize that I didn't care for the OEM pullups and instead of buying a harder to use hitch, I bought the StrapTek pullup system and greatly improved an already good product! And by adding the StrapTek system, you can still backup the trailer without disconnecting the WD hitch system.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thegreenblade View Post

Aside from the benefits "xrated" states,there's two workarounds for the Blue Ox pull up system. First is the use of a long lever, usually in the form of a 2' long, 1/2" drive breaker bar and socket in place of the supplied 'wrench". This gives you the needed leverage to both tighten and release the bars. Relatively inexpensive.

Second is the delayed cost that comes with using the power jack to relieve the tension on the bars by raising both the trailer and truck as one unit. Once high enough, release as well as tightening is very easy even with the "wrench". The down side is the undue stress placed on the jack over time.

Lastly, I know little about the OP Mike G. He could be built like a brick outhouse and the pull up and release may be of little concern to him but rather just how well the WDH works. My experience on my small trailer is that it works very well.
    Last edited by Capt Bob; 02-04-2021 at 10:49 AM.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bob View Post
    Well no experience with this exact model but you may find you need to reposition the propane bottom bracket/stand/tray forward to get the proper alignment between the brackets and the bars.

I did on my 22MLE with the Blue Ox WDH.
    I installed a Reese Steadi-Flex and the mounting brackets fit just fine...didn't have to move anything
    Roger & Debbie
    2020 XLE 22 MLE
    2021 Chevy 1500 LTZ 4x4
    Crew Cab with, 6.2L V8 With HD Tow Pkg

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are good questions. I have had two different BO systems for two trailers. I towed a 5500 lb trailer with 850lb tw with my Ram 1500 using 1000 lb bars and have been towing the current 9000 lb trailer with my Ram 2500 using 1500 lb bars. The Ram 1500 was good but with occasional wiggles going under a bridge in wind etc. We did about 12,000 miles with that setup and never felt like it was not in good control but I had to pay attention to passing vehicles. The 2500 is outstanding two finger driving in all condition over 13,000 miles or so. As others have said, I picked BO because you don’t need to remember to disconnect the bars to back and it doesn’t creak and groan all the time. If you get that system round up on bar weight, ie: if 800 tongue use 1000 lb bars and if over 1000 use 1500 lb bars. Don’t over do sizing up bar weight because that can damage the trailer. I had air bags in the rear of the 1500 to compensate for the extra load with just enough air to level the truck. You have to be sure to setup the hitch so the bars are correctly loaded when the truck is leveled or lifting the rear of the truck with the air springs will reduce weight distribution. My trailers tow well with the front of the trailer maybe an inch lower than the back when fully loaded. It takes some fooling around to get it exactly right but when done the system works excellent. I bought the entire system from Craigslist for $300 and when I changed up to the 1500 lb bars I sold the 1000 lb system for $300 so my costs are crazy low.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also forgot to say neither trailer required moving anything already mounted on the tongue.

Left The Driveway Buckethead305's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2020 21BHE but use Husky Centerline. If the brackets and bars are similar in size there wont be any need to adjust or move anything.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2021 22RBE and we installed the R6 recurve and have been very pleased with it

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the great replies. I went with the BO sway pro and took DenCristen’s advice and went with 1000# bars, which is what BO recommended as well. Trailer is still being built, will find out how it all works next month. Thanks all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast