User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 Solitude 380 FL adding Furrion Observation System (PROBLEM)

So today in the middle of a snow storm I decided to install the Furrion Observation system that the 380 FL was prewired for. So I installed the marker light cameras first (LED) not bad pretty self explanatory.Attachment 31873 Attachment 31876
    I then proceeded to install the rear camera in existing shark fin mounted by factory. Boy, did my day go down hill from this point. I could not get it to pair or receive power. I went ahead and removed the actual factor installed housing to see the wires in the hole. I inspected the wires and found this. Not even hooked up and no wires to attach too. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image1.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	31877 . So if any one who has a Solitude that knows where I can find a 12 Volt source without running new wire to basement let me know.
    Thanks in advance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image2.jpeg   image0.jpeg  
    Last edited by Life of Luxury; 02-02-2021 at 04:28 PM.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Life of Luxury View Post
    So today in the middle of a snow storm I decided to install the Furrion Observation system that the 380 FL was prewired for. So I installed the marker light cameras first (LED) not bad pretty self explanatory.Attachment 31873 Attachment 31876
    I then proceeded to install the rear camera in existing shark fin mounted by factory. Boy, did my day go down hill from this point. I could not get it to pair or receive power. I went ahead and removed the actual factor installed housing to see the wires in the hole. I inspected the wires and found this. Not even hooked up and no wires to attach too. Click image for larger version. 

ID:	31877 . So if any one who has a Solitude that knows where I can find a 12 Volt source without running new wire to basement let me know.
    Thanks in advance.
    You should be able to fish those wires down to the marker light just below the shark fin and splice them in to the running light circuit.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    You should be able to fish those wires down to the marker light just below the shark fin and splice them in to the running light circuit.
    I was thinking that as well, but I was thinking of a constant 12V power source maybe I can add a toggle switch so I can use as a security cam as well even when rig is unhooked. The side marker light cameras stay on constant from factory wiring not switched.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm going to assume you had the marker lights turned on when you tried the camera?
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went ahead and removed the actual factor installed housing to see the wires in the hole. I inspected the wires and found this. Not even hooked up and no wires to attach too. Click image for larger version. 

ID:	31877
    The camera mount on our trailer was "installed" by the factory exactly the same way - power connection had been broken when the factory tech pushed it back into the wall.

I've read your assertion that you want to power the camera full time and use it for security. The handful of wires you've already seen in the hole behind your camera mount may include the always-hot circuit that you're looking for because other owners have complained about the factory installing theirs that way.

However a majority of owners don't want what you want and some have to re-wire their camera mount to take power from the marker lights. To us, the convenience of being able to turn on the camera by just flicking on the truck lights, and turn it off just as easily, is the way to go.

As has already been suggested to you, if you can't find a marker light circuit in the handful of wires in the wall behind your camera mount, it's quite easy to poke a wire from a marker light down through the styrofoam sandwich of the wall to the mount and use that.

If you're determined to instead go with full-time power then you can likely find an always-hot wire there. You'll certainly want to put a switch in it - I can't advise about that on your trailer. There's another consideration though. To use the camera for "security" you'll have to bring the monitor in from the truck and you'll have to power that in the trailer too. There are no existing easy ways to do that - you'll have to install another new fused circuit with a cigarette-lighter socket termination. You'll want it located somewhere convenient in order to power the Furrion monitor in the trailer near where you're going to look at it.

There are a few people who have considered the "security" of doing this worth the trouble, but frankly not many. YMMV.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    The camera mount on our trailer was "installed" by the factory exactly the same way - power connection had been broken when the factory tech pushed it back into the wall.

I've read your assertion that you want to power the camera full time and use it for security. The handful of wires you've already seen in the hole behind your camera mount may include the always-hot circuit that you're looking for because other owners have complained about the factory installing theirs that way.

However a majority of owners don't want what you want and some have to re-wire their camera mount to take power from the marker lights. To us, the convenience of being able to turn on the camera by just flicking on the truck lights, and turn it off just as easily, is the way to go.

As has already been suggested to you, if you can't find a marker light circuit in the handful of wires in the wall behind your camera mount, it's quite easy to poke a wire from a marker light down through the styrofoam sandwich of the wall to the mount and use that.

If you're determined to instead go with full-time power then you can likely find an always-hot wire there. You'll certainly want to put a switch in it - I can't advise about that on your trailer. There's another consideration though. To use the camera for "security" you'll have to bring the monitor in from the truck and you'll have to power that in the trailer too. There are no existing easy ways to do that - you'll have to install another new fused circuit with a cigarette-lighter socket termination. You'll want it located somewhere convenient in order to power the Furrion monitor in the trailer near where you're going to look at it.

There are a few people who have considered the "security" of doing this worth the trouble, but frankly not many. YMMV.
    I actually found the wires that where suppose to be hooked to camera after fishing around a bit through a 1 inch hole. I re-attached the wires to white (negative) and brown/white (positive). And and tried again and dead. I tried to at least hookup standard way. Pulled a current test to wires dead. So on the opposite end its disconnected as well. I do not have a wiring schematic for trailer or this would be a breeze. I checked a few spots where I thought the wires would tie in, Nope not there. Ill research some more unless someone knows which are tie -in is.
    Thanks

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually found the wires that where suppose to be hooked to camera after fishing around a bit through a 1 inch hole. I re-attached the wires to white (negative) and brown/white (positive). And and tried again and dead. I tried to at least hookup standard way. Pulled a current test to wires dead. So on the opposite end its disconnected as well. I do not have a wiring schematic for trailer or this would be a breeze. I checked a few spots where I thought the wires would tie in, Nope not there. Ill research some more unless someone knows which are tie -in is.
    Thanks
    As asked before did you have the trailer marker lights on when you checked for power?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually found the wires that where suppose to be hooked to camera after fishing around a bit through a 1 inch hole. I re-attached the wires to white (negative) and brown/white (positive). And and tried again and dead. I tried to at least hookup standard way. Pulled a current test to wires dead. So on the opposite end its disconnected as well. I do not have a wiring schematic for trailer or this would be a breeze. I checked a few spots where I thought the wires would tie in, Nope not there. Ill research some more unless someone knows which are tie -in is. Thanks
    See @Bungy's post above. Your truck must be connected to the trailer and its lights turned on to power the marker lights of the trailer - the truck is the source of power and location of fuse for the marker lights. Only then can you test for the circuit you want.

When you've identified live circuits in the wires through that hole (the wires can be pulled out through the hole, gently) then turn off the truck/marker lights and ensure that the live circuit you found has gone cold. That'll be one you'd want to use.

If you have already done this, you won't be the first to be unable to find a marker light circuit through that camera-mount hole. In that case see advice above about running your own circuit by bringing wire down from a marker light through the back wall's styrofoam sandwich to the camera mount hole. This is what I had to do on our trailer.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    See @Bungy's post above. Your truck must be connected to the trailer and its lights turned on to power the marker lights of the trailer - the truck is the source of power and location of fuse for the marker lights. Only then can you test for the circuit you want.

When you've identified live circuits in the wires through that hole (the wires can be pulled out through the hole, gently) then turn off the truck/marker lights and ensure that the live circuit you found has gone cold. That'll be one you'd want to use.

If you have already done this, you won't be the first to be unable to find a marker light circuit through that camera-mount hole. In that case see advice above about running your own circuit by bringing wire down from a marker light through the back wall's styrofoam sandwich to the camera mount hole. This is what I had to do on our trailer.

Good luck.
    Yes, Trailer and truck connected and light are on. I ran Ohm load test and also voltage test both dead. I am thinking of purchasing a circuit tracer to send signal through wire so I can find line lower on coach, but If totally disconnected it will fail trace. I was thinking of running to light above as stated, as I did remove light housing wires where pushed back beyond styro foam and crimped behind wall cannot pull wire out without drill larger hole adjacent to existing so crimp caps would come out.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, Trailer and truck connected and light are on. I ran Ohm load test and also voltage test both dead. I am thinking of purchasing a circuit tracer to send signal through wire so I can find line lower on coach, but If totally disconnected it will fail trace. I was thinking of running to light above as stated, as I did remove light housing wires where pushed back beyond styro foam and crimped behind wall cannot pull wire out without drill larger hole adjacent to existing so crimp caps would come out.
    Not sure I understand what you're saying.

If you unscrew a marker light you can surely pull it away from the wall a few inches, and that's all you need to splice new wire onto its wires, poke a channel through the styrofoam from its hole down to the camera mount hole, run the new wire down through the channel, and connect the other end to your camera's power supply.

I've had to fiddle with this camera power problem on two 2018 trailers and on both I could wriggle part of the wires behind the camera mount out the hole to make them easier to work on. If you're telling me you can't do that, sorry, maybe that's why the factory tech didn't bother hooking up your camera mount properly. It might be easier to just move directly to the stealing-power-from-a-marker-light plan.

What do you mean "totally disconnected"? if your truck is not connected then yes, marker light circuits are incomplete circuits with opens at the front of the trailer. If the truck is connected you should have a circuit, and if its lights are on you should have a powered circuit (unless the truck's fuse for trailer lights is blown).

I don't know why you'd have to go looking for power underneath the trailer. Both marker light power and (probably) always-on power should be available near the camera mount.
    Last edited by boyscout; 02-03-2021 at 05:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast