User Tag List

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which gooseneck ball to purchase?

I see lots of discussion on hitches and gooseneck ball style vs traditional 5th wheel, but nothing on the ball itself.

I'm going to use the Reese Goosebox on my 311, but am not sure which ball to buy. The B+W looks good, but is it really worth the extra $130 compared to the Curt version? Curt version is about $170.

I'm 99% sure I'll be towing with a 2018 F350 that has the factory puck system, but I need to get a ball. I put a deposit down on a truck, but am out of town until the end of the month and cant test drive it/finalize the deal until then.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    I see lots of discussion on hitches and gooseneck ball style vs traditional 5th wheel, but nothing on the ball itself.

I'm going to use the Reese Goosebox on my 311, but am not sure which ball to buy. The B+W looks good, but is it really worth the extra $130 compared to the Curt version? Curt version is about $170.

I'm 99% sure I'll be towing with a 2018 F350 that has the factory puck system, but I need to get a ball. I put a deposit down on a truck, but am out of town until the end of the month and cant test drive it/finalize the deal until then.

Both will work. Some really like the B&W because it raises the overall profile of the hitch and if you are frequently removing the ball for bed space it's easier with the handle. If you're a set it and forget type and don't care about the height, you really won't notice much difference. There are slight tolerance differences in the manufacturing between the brands so one may have more slop than the other but that is rather subjective.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Curt for my Pullrite Superlite and haven't had a problem with it. I've heard of people leaving them in and the ball gets stuck. If this is you, then the B&W would probably be best. But again, I take mine out all the time and haven't had any problem at all.

Good luck
    2021 Reflection 28BH
    Pullrite Superlite 2600
    2019 Ford F250 CC SB 6.7L
    2017 Jayco 27bhs (Sold)

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post

I really like the B&W Goose ball. The handle is awesome, you can pull the ball without getting any grease on your hands.

Additionally, the chain loops included with the kit are very well machined. I like using the chain loop to attach the Breakaway cord for the electric brakes.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went with B&W on my setup on ours, came across this video when doing the research which shows a decent comparison in size/heights.
    2020 GMC 3500 Denali SRW SB Duramax 4x4
    2021 Reflection 31MB Goosebox 16k

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. I went with the B+W. It came with a nice carrying case and seems pretty stout. It will certainly be better taking this in and out of the truck compared to a standard 5th wheel hitch. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210227_133903.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	32387

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH