Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pre-installed rear camera on a reflection 260rd

Anybody,

I have just purchased the 2021 reflection 260rd 5th wheel trailer, and I am pulling it with a GMC Sierra 2500 short bed with the camera system in the truck. How do I connect the pre-installed camera on the 5th wheel to my trucks camera system in the truck. I also bought the camera that does go with the truck. Installing that is not a problem, but if the RV already has a camera installed I would rather utilize that instead.

Thanks

Sean D. Arning

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are no pre-installed cameras on Grand Design RVs. The trailers come with a mount and pre-wired for power. The mount fits the Furrion and several other cameras. These systems are not compatible with your truck's system and have their own in-cab monitors. You would have to purchase a compatible camera from your truck manufacturer (I believe Ford has one - not sure about GM) to interface with the built-in display in your truck.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second chance,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have already purchased the GM camera that fits my truck and will have to wire it to my new Grand Design RV.

Thanks again

Sean

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seanmi96 View Post
    I have already purchased the GM camera that fits my truck and will have to wire it to my new Grand Design RV.
    Sean, welcome to the forum.

First, a tip on using it. When you reply to a post, always use the "Reply With Quote" link at the bottom right corner of every message. That not only copies the text of the message you're replying to into your reply - which improves context for people reading later on - but more importantly it alerts the author of that post that you have replied to it, so he/she is more likely to return to this thread and read your post.

Next, I have no experience with the GM camera and based on the few mentions of it here not many others do. However I can try to help with basic installation.

The black camera mount that is probably installed on the back wall of your trailer SHOULD have 12V power to it (sometimes the factory messes that up). You can easily remove several screws and that mount to find the power connection in the hole in the wall behind it. I'll GUESS that your GM camera doesn't fit in the mount, so you're likely going to use that power connection but not much else there. You may also have to do some filling of the large hole behind the mount.

A note about the power connection you'll find. The factory is notoriously haphazard about making that connection. Most owners seem to agree that the camera power should come from the marker light circuit, so that whenever you turn on your truck lights the trailer marker lights and the camera are powered up. If you're lucky, yours will be wired that way.

If not, you may find that the power wire is on some other circuit behind the back wall that's powered on all the time, or is powered on only when the bathroom fan is turned on (true story!) or is perhaps not connected to any circuit. You can change that. If you're unable to identify a marker light power circuit in the handful of wires in the hole behind the camera mount, then you can create your own new circuit.

The back wall is a sandwich of styrofoam and other materials. It's quite easy to remove one of the marker lights and using a thin screwdriver or clothes hanger wire poke a channel from the marker light down a few inches through the styrofoam to the camera mount hole below it. Then you can attach a wire to the marker light circuit, run it down through the little channel you created, and get your camera power that way.

Hope this is useful. I can't advise further about the GM camera, especially about best location for it, orientation of antenna, etc. You can likely find installation instructions for it online somewhere.

Good luck.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch