User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Anyone Using The Uni Pass Toll Transponder?

I recently watched Changing Lanes video featuring the Uni Pass Transponder for multi state toll roads. This appears to cover Florida, up the east coast, and across to Illinois. On my windshield now is the I-Pass and the Sun Pass. With the Uni Pass I can consolidate to just one transponder. Has anyone signed up for the Uni Pass? Any plusses or minuses to consider?
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've not heard of Uni Pass. My wife used E-ZPass when she lived in Virginia. It covers a lot of states and toll points:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-ZPass

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an EZ-Pass and they are rolling out several more states in Spring '21. I travel for business in a territory that ranges from Ohio to New York to Indiana and down into West Virginia and the EZ-Pass is accepted in those states plus Michigan, Georgia, Florida and several others. Don't know if the Uni Pass would be complementary or redundant though.

Bob
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    Progressive Industries Hardwired EMS, RV Airflow, MicroAir EasyStart, MaxxAir Fan
    2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn EcoDiesel CC short bed
    Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too use an EZ-Pass Extra (or is it a Plus?). Either way, it replaced my Sunpass and an EZ Pass (I got through New Hampshire). I saw that Changing Lanes video and came away satisfied with what I have. It seems half the hype was what was to come and maybe some speculation about the future of that pass. And when I cross a toll road that my pass doesn't cover I just wait for the bill in the mail.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From their website it would be redundant. One transponder on your windshield only. Transferable to multiple vehicles, includes your trailer or even put it into a rental if necessary. Sometimes when something seems too good or too right, then it isn't. That's why I've asked if anyone is now using the Uni and what's been their experience.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sound like the Uni will allow you to eliminate one transponder, by adding GA and parts of FLA to what the EZ-Pass already covers. Many states give discounts to those who purchased a transponder in that state, and those using "foreign" transponders pay higher tolls. So depending on where your originals came from, and where you use them, you may increase your toll costs by going to the Uni. Calls for more investigation.

Forget Texas, CA, or all other states west of the Mississippi - Uni doesn't cover those.

There is a Federal mandate that all states must bring their systems into a common "one transponder". But that may take years to implement. And it still likely won't do away with the "resident preferred" pricing of tolls.

My I-Pass, which is accepted in all EZ-Pass states, works just fine in our Prius, or in my truck pulling the RV. The systems just "know" which vehicle it is currently in, and charge tolls accordingly. Probably just counts the axles as I roll through a toll area, So no issue transferring to any vehicle I happen to be driving.
    Last edited by sande005; 02-04-2021 at 08:34 AM.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)