User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

337rls & Ram 2500?

Like to move up from a 303rls to the 337rls. Have a 2016 Ram 2500 with 6.7 Cummings. Pulls the 303 with no problem. Wondering if I added Sum Springs if it could safely pull a 337. I’m no mechanic and all these pin went, GVW, total weight numbers just confuse me.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, you are probably over weight now. Stopping is more important than pulling.
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A loaded 337 will put 3,000 or more on the pin. 3/4-ton diesel trucks typically do not have that kind of payload. Modern diesel trucks will pull a brick house off its foundation... you just can't put the weight of the house on the rear axle. Use 23% of the trailer's stickered GVWR to estimate a loaded pin weight and enter all the numbers here:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-fw.shtml

We were full-time in a Reflection 337 for 4-1/2 years. We had an unusual Sierra 2500HD in that it was rear wheel drive (lighter than 4WD and increases payload). With 3,060 lbs. payload capacity on the truck (per the CAT scales), we were always at or just over the payload for the truck with the 337. I would stick with the 303 - it's a perfect match for the truck you have. All you would gain with the 337 is the bed slide and the larger front closet, anyway.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastinAmerica View Post
    ... Stopping is more important than pulling.
    That's what I used to say until an old-timer in the Escapees RV Club pointed out that that's what the trailer brakes are for - and you'll wear out the truck brakes if you're trying to stop the trailer with them. It's more about stability when underway.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback. I had a feeling that’s the case.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Good points made.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Like to move up from a 303rls to the 337rls. Have a 2016 Ram 2500 with 6.7 Cummings. Pulls the 303 with no problem. Wondering if I added Sum Springs if it could safely pull a 337. I’m no mechanic and all these pin went, GVW, total weight numbers just confuse me.
    I've been pulling a 337 with a 2012, for a hair under 5k miles now.

The GCVWR is 20,000lbs. On our first trip out, I stopped by the CAT scale (5 miles away) to get my fully loaded weight ticket......20,479lb
    • Truck: Myself, my wife, our dog, a full tank of fuel, truck box with tools, 3,000W generator, 5 gal gas can & some firewood.
    • Trailer: Our typical loadout of clothes, food, supplies, & a full tank of fresh water (80 gallons).

We're over the manufacturers weight rating, but that's our worse case scenario. We very rarely tow with a full tank of fresh water (usually fill the tanks when nearing our destination). In fact, that was the only time so far, and it was just to get a worse case weight ticket.

Our payload/pin weight would be the biggest concern for people. Payload is the curb weight of the truck, subtracted from the 9,600lb GVWR. At this weighing, that allowed for 1,690lbs of pin weight. Our pin weight was 2,721lbs (22% of our trailer weight).
    We're still within the weight rating of our rear axle (6,010lb rated with an actual of 5,901lbs).
    We now carry the generator/gas can/firewood on a small cargo rack on the back of the 337. That may have reduced my payload 200lbs, but I'm still over.

With the miles we've towed with this trailer so far, I no longer have concerns about the payload being over. The truck handles well and brakes well. IMO, how you drive is the biggest factor. I don't speed, I don't tailgate, I pay attention to road signs/conditions, scan my mirrors, monitor my tire pressures, and always I review my route before towing anywhere (bridges, road construction, twist/turns, construction if any, etc).

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Last edited by Mediocrity; 06-29-2021 at 08:47 AM.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS | TireMinder i10 TPMS | Progressive Dynamics 60A Converter | Progressive Industries EMS | MORyde X Factors | Renogy Solar & MPPT Controller
    2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7L Diesel | Tuned w/ DPF Stolen | Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller | Airlift Bags w/ Wireless Compressor | B&W Turnover Ball | Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreakfastinAmerica View Post
    No, you are probably over weight now. Stopping is more important than pulling.
    With his truck, brakes are not an issue.....his truck is equipped with the same brakes as on the 3500 and if it is a diesel and he has the engine exhaust brake equipped, he has more braking power than he will ever need for anything he can legally tow.....it comes down to rated payload capacity and if he is willing to push the limits on the published numbers or not.
    Jeff and Debbie
    2021 Imagine 2250RK
    2015 Ram2500 Laramie CC 6.7 Cummins Diesel w/air-ride auto leveling
    USMC Veteran

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    ..... I’m no mechanic and all these pin went, GVW, total weight numbers just confuse me.
    I can help make it easy, by giving you the basics:

GVWR = Gross Vehicle Weight Rating. This is the maximum weight your truck is rated for.
    GCVWR = Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating. This is the maximum weight your truck and trailer are rated for.
    PAYLOAD = The amount of weight put in/on the back of the truck. To find this info, get your your trucks current weight, and subtract it from GVWR. (I'd suggest weighing it with how you plan to tow; i.e. you, any passengers, & 3/4 tank of fuel.

Pin weights can vary. Figure 23% until you can get an actual weight. CAT scales are great, as you'll get a front axle weight, rear axle weight, and total weight. This is where I'd recommend starting when trying to figure out what you can tow.
    Last edited by Mediocrity; 06-29-2021 at 07:23 AM.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS | TireMinder i10 TPMS | Progressive Dynamics 60A Converter | Progressive Industries EMS | MORyde X Factors | Renogy Solar & MPPT Controller
    2012 Ram 2500 CCSB 6.7L Diesel | Tuned w/ DPF Stolen | Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller | Airlift Bags w/ Wireless Compressor | B&W Turnover Ball | Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased 337RLS this past Spring. Had a 2017 Ram 2500 diesel Laramie Longhorn loaded which put the cargo payload at 1850 lbs. No go. Traded in truck for 2021 Ram 3500 Laramie diesel dually. Payload on this truck 5,461 lbs. Much safer now.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast