Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exterior reseal

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exterior reseal

I have a 2017 Reflection 29RS in the shop for some routine maintenance. Their 12 point inspection found that they need to do an exterior reseal for $500. I'm reaching out to this forum see if this is truly needed or is a DRE (dealer revenue enhancement).
    The previous owner and I have kept the rig in covered storage and use it about 3-4 days per month. And it has a spray on roof (RV Roof), so that should be good. Their statement of work: "Remove all sealant on the sides of the unit and replace it with fresh sealant".

I have two concerns:
    1) Does it really need it after ~5 years of occasional use?
    2) How good a job will the shop tech do? Obviously dependent on the tech, but just wondering if they can be successful.

I will be full-timing in the rig beginning in June, so I don't mind paying for something that's truly needed, just not sure it is.
    If you've had this done, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks in advance.
    2017 Reflection 29RS
    2016 Ford F-250 CC SRW 6.2L gas

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DCRYOR View Post
    I have a 2017 Reflection 29RS in the shop for some routine maintenance. Their 12 point inspection found that they need to do an exterior reseal for $500. I'm reaching out to this forum see if this is truly needed or is a DRE (dealer revenue enhancement).
    The previous owner and I have kept the rig in covered storage and use it about 3-4 days per month. And it has a spray on roof (RV Roof), so that should be good. Their statement of work: "Remove all sealant on the sides of the unit and replace it with fresh sealant".

I have two concerns:
    1) Does it really need it after ~5 years of occasional use?
    2) How good a job will the shop tech do? Obviously dependent on the tech, but just wondering if they can be successful.

I will be full-timing in the rig beginning in June, so I don't mind paying for something that's truly needed, just not sure it is.
    If you've had this done, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks in advance.
    I have had to redo wall sealant on my 2018 297RSTS in a number of areas so if yours has not been done it is likely due. I also know that GD uses silicone to do the factory sealing on the sides so unless they clean off any residue very well new sealant will not stick. I have had this problem in a couple of areas. I am also not a professional but took me about 3 hours to do one slam door but then I removed the door completely so that I could clean off all of the old silicone easier.

Water is the death knell for RVs so if it needs it and they can show you where and why it is best to either do it yourself or have the dealer do it.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had to do this to my 2019, but mine is parked outside. It was obvious that the sealant was compromised in quite a few locations. There are multiple sealants out there (GD customer service recommended a particular brand silicon), but I used Lexel since you can re-apply and it will stick to itself.

It’s an absolute bear of a job and if they do good work, I would happily pay $500 to not do it myself again. If you are going to full-time, I would recommend it even if your sealant wasn’t 5yrs old. As it is, IMO you are due. I wonder if they would let you select the sealant used (a few are recommended consistently on this and other boards).
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recommend looking into using this .... https://www.geocelusa.com/product/pr...xible-sealant/

See cautions about TPO, EPDM and polystyrene materials though ....

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth13777 View Post
    I just had to do this to my 2019, but mine is parked outside. It was obvious that the sealant was compromised in quite a few locations. There are multiple sealants out there (GD customer service recommended a particular brand silicon), but I used Lexel since you can re-apply and it will stick to itself.

It’s an absolute bear of a job and if they do good work, I would happily pay $500 to not do it myself again. If you are going to full-time, I would recommend it even if your sealant wasn’t 5yrs old. As it is, IMO you are due. I wonder if they would let you select the sealant used (a few are recommended consistently on this and other boards).
    I also used Lexel on anything I resealed. The only trouble I had was if there was still some silicone residue the Lexel like most other sealants did not stick until I cleaned it better.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by openrangeowners View Post
    Recommend looking into using this .... https://www.geocelusa.com/product/pr...xible-sealant/

See cautions about TPO, EPDM and polystyrene materials though ....
    I don't understand most people's facination with Pro-flex. I used it a number of years ago on my Rockwood and it got hard and started to split and crack. I was not happy with it.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exterior reseal

Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    I don't understand most people's facination with Pro-flex.
    Totally agree. I don’t know of a better alternative though. One of my friends uses lap sealant by dicor because it works so well. But it does not come in clear. Also whatever alternative to pro flex must not be silicon-based.

The best part about ProFlex is that it’s easy to tool and it’s easy to remove and replace.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exterior reseal

My experiences indicate the highest risk areas for a wallside caulking are any trim along the floor line and slide out floor trim on all three sides.

My recommendation is if you are full timing soon then you should get very proficient at caulking/sealing or routinely Have it done by a trusted professional. But as the other posters indicated water is the worst enemy of an RV and it’s expensive to repair.
    Last edited by bjlakatos; 01-31-2021 at 04:05 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand most people's facination with Pro-flex. I used it a number of years ago on my Rockwood and it got hard and started to split and crack. I was not happy with it.

Rob
    I had the same issue on my old Flagstaff. I was not happy with the resluts
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also used Lexel on anything I resealed. The only trouble I had was if there was still some silicone residue the Lexel like most other sealants did not stick until I cleaned it better.

Rob
    Rob
    Do you have any tips and tricks for the removal and cleanup before resealing?

Thanks, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast