User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zinman View Post
    "...I expect my Solitude to last 20 years or until my wife wants a new one. "

Now that is funny while also being true for a lot of couples.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_mytkb8xFTq1s0my1wo1_250.gif 
Views:	113 
Size:	991.5 KB 
ID:	31991
    Last edited by Drolaw; 02-08-2021 at 08:59 PM.
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They last as long as you want them to last. Keep the exterior seals solid as well as the roof membrane and they can last as long as you will.

The bigger issue is people get the itch for new and better floor plans / tech or they just don't take care of them.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on maintenance, storage(outside or under cover) and usage. If u full time in most tt they will not last real long. They are not made for full time use because they are not built for it. Not like a house. Materials, trim, way they are put together with staples or small brads doesnt last like similar items in a house lasts. Most of the older trailers on the market that are in great shape were not used that much even though they were well maintained. Normal wear and tear is just more in a tt than like in a house.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have had our 2016 Solitude 379FL since February 2017. We use it for summer vacations in Michigan and winters in Florida. Just this month I have noticed squeaks and movements that were not there before. As has happened to everyone else, the vinyl is coming off our recliners and couches, all at once like it was time to start molting! The wood(?) trim has started pulling the nails through as it warps from the temperature changes, Had to replace a window latch, stop-drilled a couple of cracks in plastic trim, insurance claim for Westlake blowout damage, new circuit board for the furnace, and re-caulked the roof more times than I can remember. The carpets need stretched (again). But, we feel fortunate that we have had very few (tongue-in-cheek) of the problems others have had with later models. We are planning on keeping our Solitude for a long time.

We bought a 1987 Layton travel trailer (39 feet) new in 1988. We pulled that thing all over Michigan for vacations for 25 years!
    The furnace never broke. We replaced the hot water tank at about 20 years. I had to clean the AC condenser at about 18 years. I NEVER had to do anything to the aluminum roof and it NEVER leaked. After I rolled my truck under the trailer due to sway that got away from me (I was about to lose a tire and didn't know it) we used it another 8 years.

Ultimately, I really like the conveniences ad creature comforts that our Solitude has, but I'd say..."They really don't make 'em like they used to".
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    We have had our 2016 Solitude 379FL since February 2017. We use it for summer vacations in Michigan and winters in Florida. Just this month I have noticed squeaks and movements that were not there before. As has happened to everyone else, the vinyl is coming off our recliners and couches, all at once like it was time to start molting! The wood(?) trim has started pulling the nails through as it warps from the temperature changes, Had to replace a window latch, stop-drilled a couple of cracks in plastic trim, insurance claim for Westlake blowout damage, new circuit board for the furnace, and re-caulked the roof more times than I can remember. The carpets need stretched (again). But, we feel fortunate that we have had very few (tongue-in-cheek) of the problems others have had with later models. We are planning on keeping our Solitude for a long time.

We bought a 1987 Layton travel trailer (39 feet) new in 1988. We pulled that thing all over Michigan for vacations for 25 years!
    The furnace never broke. We replaced the hot water tank at about 20 years. I had to clean the AC condenser at about 18 years. I NEVER had to do anything to the aluminum roof and it NEVER leaked. After I rolled my truck under the trailer due to sway that got away from me (I was about to lose a tire and didn't know it) we used it another 8 years.

Ultimately, I really like the conveniences ad creature comforts that our Solitude has, but I'd say..."They really don't make 'em like they used to".

We have a 2015 Reflection 303RLS that the "pleather" couch and recliners starting molting as you stated! We ended up getting them recovered in naugahyde for about the same price as buying new. I figured the new ones would be made of the same material and have the same result in a few years. The naugahyde is much more durable/supple and there was nothing else wrong with our furniture pieces.

We also have a few more creaks and squeaks but we have pulled our trailer from Arkansas to both coasts (Oregon and New Jersey) and many points in between, so it has experienced a lot of bumpy roads along the way. I plan to keep mine until the "wheels fall off" as you stated since it is well maintained, and I don't have any of the other issues I have seen on here concerning trim falling off, missing components, etc. In my opinion, GD made a better product before Winnebago bought them out. It seems quality is not quite the priority it was when my was built in 2015.
    2012 F-250 6.7L Diesel, SRW
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRider84 View Post
    Just curious to hear your opinion.

How long does a maintained Solitude last?
    Five years?
    Ten years?

How long would you keep it before going to a newer one due to age of RV?
    If retiring in 10 years, would you buy new again prior to retiring or just tow it till the wheels fall off?

Vasilios
    The quality of today's RV's is much better than in the past; a GD will potentially serve you much longer than your ownership needs of a particular model. In other words, longevity isn't the issue so much as our need for novelty.
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12