User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude Lifespan

Just curious to hear your opinion.

How long does a maintained Solitude last?
    Five years?
    Ten years?

How long would you keep it before going to a newer one due to age of RV?
    If retiring in 10 years, would you buy new again prior to retiring or just tow it till the wheels fall off?

Vasilios

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last 5th wheel was a 2010 Open Range 399BHS. I maintained it well - sold it in 2018 (bought in 2009). I sold it because our daughters no longer camp with us, so we bought in S-Class 2930RL. I think that if you maintain it it will be fine. The wheels will fall off if you don't repack the bearing (manual process) ... also keep up with the lap sealant on the roof and caulked areas.

My 2010 sold for 28K (paid 42K) - the exterior looked great, and we were very easy on the interior so it still looked very good. You will have to make many repairs over a 10 year period (guarantee things will break and wear out) - better to use it than let it sit. If you are handy you will improve upon each item that fails or breaks.

If the floorplan continues to suit your needs, keep it into retirement if it is not giving you to many problems to deal with.

So a maintained Solitude will last 15-20 years easily - maybe more (may need a roof repair after 15 years - my 2010 never had a roof issue and looked great when I sold it).

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it has more to do with how long it meets your needs.

I can't speak to the longevity of a Solitude but my Momentum at 6+ years old is doing just fine. We haven't found a trailer/floorplan that we like any better so as long as we are hauling toys around the Momentum will work just fine. When our needs change then it will be time to look for something else.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadRider84 View Post
    ...How long does a maintained Solitude last? Five years? Ten years? How long would you keep it before going to a newer one due to age of RV? If retiring in 10 years, would you buy new again prior to retiring or just tow it till the wheels fall off?
    If kept under cover and out of the rain, it would probably last indefinitely. I think moisture is the biggest danger by far. We've had three Grand Design 5th wheels in five years so we are oddballs in that respect. I like bells and whistles and new so we switch up cars, trucks and RV's pretty often. I think the longest I've ever owned a vehicle was maybe five years.

To answer your last question - I would buy new right when I retired so I had the latest of everything rather than starting out with something outdated. That's actually what we did in 2016 but have since replaced that retirement RV (and truck) twice :-)
    Last edited by bertschb; 02-04-2021 at 10:32 AM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Great feedback.

Also asking the same thing on FB to see that feedback.

In a different lifestyle, for instance motorcycling - I’m the kind of guy that once I have it all setup and accessorized the way I want it, I don’t want to start over just bc it’s 5-6 years old. Yet I have had friends that every 12 months, like clockwork, they were buying new and starting the customization all over again bc tat was their lifestyle and preference.

Because I was in that industry and had my own business in it (motorcycling) I seen it all.
    Buying into a lifestyle, like boating, RVing, and/or motorcycling is only the beginning once the purchase of the toy is done.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And to add to what Jim shared, as with most things, the life span will depend on several factors. How much is it used, how used, where used, how well maintained, roughly used or cared for, etc. Our last TT was purchased new and used 10 years only during the summer towed to local sites between 10 and 150 miles one way. We are meticulous when it comes to care and maintenance. It was stored indoors in the winter and washed/cleaned after each use as well. It looked new when we sold it for top dollar and everything worked.

Our GDRV will be going on its 8th season used pretty much in the same way (a few longer trips) and meticulously cared for and maintained.

We have met folks over our 5 decades of camping whom do not understand the operations or maintenance of the RVs (do not read manuals) and experience all kinds of issues mainly user inflicted. Many of these folks also do not take car of their campers either and they are used roughly causing other issues to surface negatively affecting the pocket book, attitude and ultimately the life span.

Sure there will be units well taken care of in all respects and have challenges to deal with. These folks often trade the problem child. Our neighbor did this with his last two Jaycos.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I had my motorcycle repair business, I saw all forms of riders.

some knew it all about their bikes and did most of the work, some didn’t even know why tire pressure was important or where the engine oil dipstick was. I kid you not. I had one customer tell me that the only thing he will do is put gas in and go. The worst owners were the ones that bought bikes when gas prices were nuts a little over ten years ago. I expect it will happen again soon (message me if you want my opinion as to why). Those bike owners thought their bikes was a simple means to end to save money to get to work. Very much abused & neglected bikes.

An interesting point was made on FB that I overlooked, forgot, don’t think of much... RV parks are now refusing reservations to those with RVs older than 10 yrs old. Would not surprise me if manufacturers were originally behind it. Five to eight years from now it can easily be a standard across the board. Map to keep an older rig may be for the dry camper expert.

Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    And to add to what Jim shared, as with most things, the life span will depend on several factors. How much is it used, how used, where used, how well maintained, roughly used or cared for, etc. Our last TT was purchased new and used 10 years only during the summer towed to local sites between 10 and 150 miles one way. We are meticulous when it comes to care and maintenance. It was stored indoors in the winter and washed/cleaned after each use as well. It looked new when we sold it for top dollar and everything worked.

Our GDRV will be going on its 8th season used pretty much in the same way (a few longer trips) and meticulously cared for and maintained.

We have met folks over our 5 decades of camping whom do not understand the operations or maintenance of the RVs (do not read manuals) and experience all kinds of issues mainly user inflicted. Many of these folks also do not take car of their campers either and they are used roughly causing other issues to surface negatively affecting the pocket book, attitude and ultimately the life span.

Sure there will be units well taken care of in all respects and have challenges to deal with. These folks often trade the problem child. Our neighbor did this with his last two Jaycos.

Dan

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    If kept under cover and out of the rain, it would probably last indefinitely. I think moisture is the biggest danger by far. We've had three Grand Design 5th wheels in five years so we are oddballs in that respect. I like bells and whistles and new so we switch up cars, trucks and RV's pretty often. I think the longest I've ever owned a vehicle was maybe five years.

To answer your last question - I would buy new right when I retired so I had the latest of everything rather than starting out with something outdated. That's actually what we did in 2016 but have since replaced that retirement RV (and truck) twice :-)
    We bought ours a year and a half before retirement. That way we took it on several trip, one that was 4,000 miles. Worked out the kinks and then did all the mods before retirement.
    Dale & Penny Kennedy
    Central California

2016 Grand Design Solitude 321 RL #5754
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I had my motorcycle repair business, I saw all forms of riders.

some knew it all about their bikes and did most of the work, some didn’t even know why tire pressure was important or where the engine oil dipstick was. I kid you not. I had one customer tell me that the only thing he will do is put gas in and go. The worst owners were the ones that bought bikes when gas prices were nuts a little over ten years ago. I expect it will happen again soon (message me if you want my opinion as to why). Those bike owners thought their bikes was a simple means to end to save money to get to work. Very much abused & neglected bikes.

An interesting point was made on FB that I overlooked, forgot, don’t think of much... RV parks are now refusing reservations to those with RVs older than 10 yrs old. Would not surprise me if manufacturers were originally behind it. Five to eight years from now it can easily be a standard across the board. Map to keep an older rig may be for the dry camper expert.
    I understand what you are sharing about the bike business. I raced snowmobiles and a Yamaha YZ sponsored by a Yamaha dealer back in the day. I also worked at the shop setting up bikes, sleds, and doing other things while I was in college in my racing days. I saw all kinds of things that surprised me (as you shared) that caused owers problems and spending money needlessly.

I have noticed that the more top end RV parks/resorts have been limiting RVs to even less than 10 years.......and this has been going on for decades. I can appreciate the thinking and thus the policies to prevent all kinds of issues. This said, some of these parks/resorts will be flexible on this where the RV is well taken care of the owners/user are of good standing.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious to hear your opinion.

How long does a maintained Solitude last?
    Five years?
    Ten years?

How long would you keep it before going to a newer one due to age of RV?
    If retiring in 10 years, would you buy new again prior to retiring or just tow it till the wheels fall off?

Vasilios
    RoadRider84, my wife and I had our 2006 Alpenlite Voyager 34RL for 13 years and could have kept for another 5. Took meticulous care of it. Twice yearly waxing, put on upgraded USA made tires, USA made wheel bearings, seals etc. Yearly bearing maintenance, had a cover for 5 years then indoor temp controlled storage until we sold it. We then purchased a 2019 5th wheel that kept falling apart, we only had it for a year then traded up for our Grand Design. Whatever you do keep it out of the sun and foul weather. Regular maintenance and inspection is key. I was lucky, all but two of my graphics lasted the full duration and then I had the original company cut new ones for install. Trade in was top dollar. Here is a thought for consideration. Some RV parks will post they do not accept RV's that are 10 years or older and I am sure for some on this forum a hot conversation point. If you wish to RV at those establishments then you may wish to hold out for a newer RV closer to your retirement. As far as how long a Solitude will last all depends upon the effort you put in to maintaining it. Me, I expect my Solitude to last 20 years or until my wife wants a new one.
    2020 Solitude 372WB
    2017 F350 Superduty 4x4, Heavy Duty Tow Package
    2900 Superglide Hitch, MORryde Rubber Pinbox
    Zinny, Golden Retriever (rescue)
    Belle, Golden Retriever (rescue)

"Life With a Dog is a Gift"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast