User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV Hauler bodies

I am replacing my truck this year, as we approach retirement age, and full-timing. I absolutely love the look and function of the Utiltywerks and Classy Chassis RV hauler beds, but the price point is just too high ($18-20k)

Work type beds:
    The Norstar SD would work fine other then it is steel, and I cannot give up so much payload.
    The CM AL SK needs a little more storage

There is very little in between the work beds, and the high end stuff. I did find Hughes Equipment in Ohio, which makes a nice product (photo attached), but still a touch higher then I would like to spend.

Anything out there that I'm not seeing?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hughes Equipment Pro-Hauler.jpg  

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I am replacing my truck this year, as we approach retirement age, and full-timing. I absolutely love the look and function of the Utiltywerks and Classy Chassis RV hauler beds, but the price point is just too high ($18-20k)

Work type beds:
    The Norstar SD would work fine other then it is steel, and I cannot give up so much payload.

There is very little in between the work beds, and the high end stuff. I did find Hughes Equipment in Ohio, which makes a nice product (photo attached), but still a touch higher then I would like to spend.

I'm not sure if they're a reason you're looking at RV specific haulers but there are tons of western hauler bed manufacturers well below the 18 grand price point. Being in horse country in Texas that's the most common bed replacement I see. It's something I may do one day myself.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    I'm not sure if they're a reason you're looking at RV specific haulers but there are tons of western hauler bed manufacturers well below the 18 grand price point. Being in horse country in Texas that's the most common bed replacement I see. It's something I may do one day myself.

A.T.Y- I do see the western hauler bodies online, but I have never seen one up in the northwest on an actual truck. They do have some storage, but I have never quite understood their function. perfectly fine for towing, little to no sides, and nothing to keep items from falling out the back. They are basically a nicer looking flatbed. Am I missing something here?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A.T.Y- I do see the western hauler bodies online, but I have never seen one up in the northwest on an actual truck. They do have some storage, but I have never quite understood their function. perfectly fine for towing, little to no sides, and nothing to keep items from falling out the back. They are basically a nicer looking flatbed. Am I missing something here?
    Hauler bodies typically mount the hitch lower than a flatbed (which has to clear the top of the wheels).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well yes... and no. It really depends on how far down the rabbit hole you really want to go. The idea of western style haulers is the low profile because it is desing for gooseneck and 5th wheels for farm and ranch. That low profile is great for not so level terrain. Some designs are bare minimal and offer no storage, others would add so much wieght over the axle I wouldn't be able to tow my upcoming trailer legally! A LOT of the western beds here are flat beds that the owners weld low profile tool boxes all over it and customize the storage to their needs. This is one I have been looking at:

https://www.utilitybodywerks.com/elite-84.html

Last edited by A.Texas.Yankee; 02-05-2021 at 10:24 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, that I did not realize. I see you al over these posts by the way, thank you for your insight. That must be why they always have the GN trough. I always thought it was so you can stack plywood right on top without removing the ball...lol. I'm ordering a new truck later this year, and still also deciding Ford or Ram. I really hope that the 22 Ram has a new transmission. My 17 year old Ram 2500 has treated me very well. Still deciding on the 3500 or 4500 DRW. At the moment the GD Solitude 390RK is the 5th wheel we are going to. if you are ever in the NW coast area, you have a parking spot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The utilitywerks are the top of the line, beautiful. I got a quote awhile back and with any options they are the $18-20k area. Hold on...I need to go buy a lottery ticket.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Work type beds:

Have you looked around for used? They pop up around here once in a while.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still deciding on the 3500 or 4500 DRW.
    I'm not sure if you know this and I only bring it up because I didn't. The RAM 4500 is "detuned" amd will not have as much torque/power as the 3500. It still has like 850 lbs/ft torque and IIRC, thr gearing is lower, but that's a considerable drop. One of the reasons I jumped over to Ford for the F-450 after being a RAM guy for 20 + years.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did know that. Thanks for the info. Seems like the main positives to a 450 are the payload increase and the better turning radius. About everything else are cons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast