Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Strain relief / knockout fittings

Good morning everyone.

I am gathering parts for my solar/inverter upgrade. My transfer switch is housed in a very sturdy plastic box with knockouts all around ranging from 1/2", 3/4" , 1"and 1.5 inch. I cant use the 1.5 ones as there is not enough clearance inside to clear the switch. The back of the Go Power 3000w inverter that I plan to use has the typical clamp type connection. It is not dust or moisture resistant. At this point I am not planning on running flexible conduit to contain the wires. If I do I can use the water tight connections made for conduit installs and problem is solved, but that is a whole lot of extra work and cover only one of the 4 connections to the switch needed

I would like something that is dust proof and hopefully water resistant. I have found cable gland clamps, water tight fittings for flexible plastic conduit (I would silicone any void) but they don't offer any strain relief. I can just use the old school clamps like is on the back of the inverter https://gpelectric.com/products/3000...wave-inverter/ and fill in any void. I really don't like the clamp type as they can damage the cable/wire sheathing , especially with vibration.

So what have you folks used that works?
    Thanks for any thoughts or ideas.
    Last edited by powerscol; 02-05-2021 at 10:22 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you clarify what you are concerned about:
    Is it a roof connection (where waterproof connections are REQUIRED)?

You mention water tight connections and transfer switch - since you have a 5th wheel all of the transfer switch and inverter wiring and connections are in the basement - there should be no water there.

Your inverter does not have to be dust proof - it has large fans that draw in air to keep it cool - as you already stated.

Your transfer switch (if like mine) is housed in a box with knockouts and uses standard clamps. Again not waterproof or dustproof - I have 6/3 wiring going to and from it with standard clamps.

Back to the roof - are you running cables to a junction box or using a roof-mounted box with MC4 connections?

The typical strain reliefs seem to work fine in the campers I have owned. There is no need to worry about water or dust, and they have yet to damage the sheathing and wiring over time. Maybe I am overthinking your question?

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The waterproof, flexible conduit that is made of plastic is commonly called "Sealtight". It comes in sizes up to 6" (I've actually used the 6" stuff before). If you have enough room you can buy sealtight and fittings large enough to put all the conductors in one run of it, if you are worried about keeping it dry.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by openrangeowners View Post
    Could you clarify what you are concerned about:
    Is it a roof connection (where waterproof connections are REQUIRED)?

You mention water tight connections and transfer switch - since you have a 5th wheel all of the transfer switch and inverter wiring and connections are in the basement - there should be no water there.

Your inverter does not have to be dust proof - it has large fans that draw in air to keep it cool - as you already stated.

Your transfer switch (if like mine) is housed in a box with knockouts and uses standard clamps. Again not waterproof or dustproof - I have 6/3 wiring going to and from it with standard clamps.

Back to the roof - are you running cables to a junction box or using a roof-mounted box with MC4 connections?

The typical strain reliefs seem to work fine in the campers I have owned. There is no need to worry about water or dust, and they have yet to damage the sheathing and wiring over time. Maybe I am overthinking your question?
    All the connections are inside either in the front bay or beside the distribution panel. Dust and water vaper (condensation) are my primary concerns. From what your saying the std clamps will work. Did you seal the openings with anything?

All of my roof penetrations will be using a Go Power entry plate https://gpelectric.com/products/cable-entry-plate/ I plan to seal after installation with lap sealant.

Thanks everyone
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar