User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just purchased a 25G Toyhauler. While I haven't gotten it yet, it has a 30 amp service and 2 A/c's.
    You're supposed to be able to run both. I would imagine you can't run anything else though.
    It also has something called "load shed" that is supposed to turn off the micro and/or water heater as needed.

Is your 30 amp plug at home split phase? If so, you should be able to run both. If single phase, one A/C either front or rear.
    It will depend on which side of your panel is energized I think.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by deeuubee View Post
    Is your 30 amp plug at home split phase? If so, you should be able to run both. If single phase, one A/C either front or rear.
    It will depend on which side of your panel is energized I think.
    Very few residences have anything other than a single phase service that is also split phase providing 240V line to line and 120V line to neutral. A 30A RV service is only one 120V supply with connections to line, neutral, and ground.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops!, brain fart on my end. Hit enter instead of exit and didn't read what I wrote before running out the door.

I was meaning to ask if his home outlet was 30 amp 240v or 30 amp RV (120v) before answering the question.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boyscout.... Wise words indeed..... However we decided we'd rather lose the AC, than the dog! if we are out and about on a hot day..
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes you can

Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    We head home in 7 weeks to Flathead Lake. Our home there has full hookups which we used with our previous 2000 Gulfstream 5th wheel for guests who visited.

With our new 310GK-R, I will have to use the 50 to 30 amp pig tail to plug in. My question is, will at least one AC run with the reduced amps while the residential fridge, lights, etc are on?

I have a 50 amp rig and living at a 30 amp site. I can run both AC units with no issues. Problems come up with running an addition big draw appliance like coffee maker in brew cycle, hair dryer, or microwave. But if you remember to turn off the AC when turning on something else it is all good. Also if I know I am going to be drawing power for big ticket items, I put my hot water tank on propane.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We head home in 7 weeks to Flathead Lake. Our home there has full hookups which we used with our previous 2000 Gulfstream 5th wheel for guests who visited.

With our new 310GK-R, I will have to use the 50 to 30 amp pig tail to plug in. My question is, will at least one AC run with the reduced amps while the residential fridge, lights, etc are on?
    Yes. one ac will run and there should not be any problems with your other electric appliances. I installed Microair EasyStart soft starters on both my ac units because we boondock using solar panels, lithium batteries and a 3000 watt inverter. The softstarters are easy to install. When I installed my solar panels, inverter and lithium batteries I installed the soft starters as well. It takes only a few minutes to install them and they allow the AC units to ramp up slowly using less power. Now I only connect using my 30 amp plug because we don't require 50 amps. Go to Microair's website and watch the videos. Best of luck. By the way we will be fishing Pende Oreille and Flathead for several weeks this spring and summer. My favorite lakes by far.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One consideration is how much current the hot water heater can pull. The only time I’ve overloaded and tripped the 30A breaker in my tiny little RV is with the water heater on, AC on, and something else running. I believe our water heater on electric pulls 11amps. With a residential fridge, I would just run the hot water on propane - it doesn’t use much at all.

In fact, that’s what we do now on a friend’s recommendation. Haven’t had an issue since even with seemingly every device in the trailer on, with the water heater on propane. And I can go weeks on one 20# propane tank if just running water heater / stove.
    2022 Transcend Xplor 240ML
    2019 Imagine XLS 17MKE (sold 8/22)
    2017 Ford F-150 XLT 5.0 Fx4
    Blue Ox WDH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As luck would have it, took our 50A 2018 2950RL to a campground and were forced based on availabliity to take a 30A spot. We ran everything in the trailer on the 30A service, but as was stated above, the only thing that caused the breaker to trip was when I used the microwave to cook a breakfast sandwich :-)

I use a PowerWatchdog which allows me to track Voltage, VA, watts, etc, and when AC is running and hot water heater, I am drawing about 2300 watts. Using some old school electrical engineering calcs, 2300watts single-phase at 120V, with a .8 power factor will be 23.9A.

You will be fine with 30A to run the AC, may just need to turn the AC off for a bit while using the microwave :-)
    David Pisano
    2018 Imagine 2950RL

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
    It's not so much a question of can you do it ,as much as should you!
    I agree wholeheartedly with your answer. We have a 2016 Solitude 379FL with two AC units. We spend at least 4 weeks per year at Michigan State parks with 30 amp service. I installed amp/volt meters on each incoming phase to monitor electrical loads. My 50-30 amp adapter connects both phases in parallel. Our AC units draw 10-12 amps each. The hot water tank also draws about 10 amps. Our RV Fridge draws about 9 amps. Our microwave draws 12 amps. Then there's the toaster, coffee maker, hair dryer, and many other things that all add up the amps. If we are trying to cool off a 42 foot trailer with only one AC we are surely also running a couple of powerful fans (like the summer of 2020).

That all being said, have you ever seen what happens to a 30 Amp RV plug when it melts? Depending on how many hundreds of times the 30 amp receptacle has had plugs inserted and removed and having been overloaded the connector prongs grow weak, meaning not the best conductivity. Bad connectivity = unwanted heat. A lot of current trying to pass through a less than optimal connection = A lot more heat...as in melted plug and discolored, softer plug prongs. Our problem is usually tripping a breaker at the pole. Therefore we have learned that if the AC is on we change the fridge and hot water over to gas if we want toast or leftovers in the Microwave.

30 amps is not to be be thought of as the speed limit on the freeway where sometimes we can get away with speeding without a ticket. 30 amps should be thought of as something to stay under. Like it was mentioned, we don't know how many amps are being used for things like the converter which is constantly changing so it is very easy to go over 30 amps. I'm just saying that we need to be aware of our electrical loads when it is possible to easily overload our electrical systems. Just because you can 'sometimes' get away with something doesn't mean you should...
    Last edited by fez111; 02-13-2021 at 07:02 PM.
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the replies!
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast