User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fez111 View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly with your answer. We have a 2016 Solitude 379FL with two AC units. We spend at least 4 weeks per year at Michigan State parks with 30 amp service. I installed amp/volt meters on each incoming phase to monitor electrical loads. My 50-30 amp adapter connects both phases in parallel. Our AC units draw 10-12 amps each. The hot water tank also draws about 10 amps. Our RV Fridge draws about 9 amps. Our microwave draws 12 amps. Then there's the toaster, coffee maker, hair dryer, and many other things that all add up the amps. If we are trying to cool off a 42 foot trailer with only one AC we are surely also running a couple of powerful fans (like the summer of 2020).

That all being said, have you ever seen what happens to a 30 Amp RV plug when it melts? Depending on how many hundreds of times the 30 amp receptacle has had plugs inserted and removed and having been overloaded the connector prongs grow weak, meaning not the best conductivity. Bad connectivity = unwanted heat. A lot of current trying to pass through a less than optimal connection = A lot more heat...as in melted plug and discolored, softer plug prongs. Our problem is usually tripping a breaker at the pole. Therefore we have learned that if the AC is on we change the fridge and hot water over to gas if we want toast or leftovers in the Microwave.

30 amps is not to be be thought of as the speed limit on the freeway where sometimes we can get away with speeding without a ticket. 30 amps should be thought of as something to stay under. Like it was mentioned, we don't know how many amps are being used for things like the converter which is constantly changing so it is very easy to go over 30 amps. I'm just saying that we need to be aware of our electrical loads when it is possible to easily overload our electrical systems. Just because you can 'sometimes' get away with something doesn't mean you should...
    I see your point Frank, but what you are describing is more about properly maintaing the connector and conductors. What you said about the 30A adapter would essentially hold true for any plug, cord, or electrical connector. A bad connection will cause the resistance to rise, which will cause the current to rise (V = I X R). That said, its not about the current you are drawing, but making sure your plug or adapter is in good shape. Wouldn't that apply to any plug or electrical connections including your 50A?

As you say, assuming your connector conductors are damaged as you indicate, the restance will rise, causing heat to rise in the circuit. For example, if you are using 120V loads, you would have 4 Ohms of resistance at 30A max. If your connector was bad as you describe, your Ohms will rise accordingly and over time. if you are driving AC units, hot water heater, etc, and the connector is bad and your resistance rises to 8 Ohms, the current you could carry in the circuit will drop, while the heat will rise resulting the horror show you describe at the adapter over a PERIOD OF TIME, while the current may not rise enough to trip the 30A breaker.

It may be limited intelligence, but the way I see it, everyone should always be taking random measurements of the circuits and properly maintaining their cords, connectors, and adapters. I realize its because I am over-protective about things, but I always replace my plugs, adpaters, and cords every few years and Ohm out the circuits from a preventative maintenance standpoint to catch a rise in resistance over-time and before a problem occurs.

The way I see it, since the conductor over-use topic applies to all regularly disconnected and re-connected circuits, the question of "should you" drive your camper with a 30A adpater is not really the issue or root cause.

Am I off the reservation here? Thoughts?
    David Pisano
    2018 Imagine 2950RL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can install one of these in each AC unit and will run both https://www.microair.net/products/ea...nt=30176048267

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123