User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

30 AMP power -Will it run one A/C?

We head home in 7 weeks to Flathead Lake. Our home there has full hookups which we used with our previous 2000 Gulfstream 5th wheel for guests who visited.

With our new 310GK-R, I will have to use the 50 to 30 amp pig tail to plug in. My question is, will at least one AC run with the reduced amps while the residential fridge, lights, etc are on?
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should be fine. I've had 30A campers in the past with an AC. Just gotta make sure not to run a microwave or other high power consumption item the same time as the AC. Residential fridges shouldn't draw too much power.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might need to watch the electric hot water too. Also when first hooking up, the battery charger will consume 13 to 15 amps in bulk charge mode. You need to be able to monitor your amp draw when using 30 amp service with a 50 amp rig. The easiest way is with a Progressive surge protector. Most come with a volt/amp display.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our tt is only 30amp and we are able to run everything including ac and microwave. However, I know that a 50amp is different. If I'm not mistaken, its divided into 2 legs. Now is each leg 25amp? If you have a 50amp and you plug into a 30amp does that mean each leg becomes 15amp?

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Our tt is only 30amp and we are able to run everything including ac and microwave. However, I know that a 50amp is different. If I'm not mistaken, its divided into 2 legs. Now is each leg 25amp? If you have a 50amp and you plug into a 30amp does that mean each leg becomes 15amp?

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Each leg of the 50Amp service is 50 Amps for a total of 100 Amps possible. With the 30 Amp adapter is just means 30 amps total not split. Can do 30 on one leg of the 50 Amp if you need to.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    We head home in 7 weeks to Flathead Lake. Our home there has full hookups which we used with our previous 2000 Gulfstream 5th wheel for guests who visited. With our new 310GK-R, I will have to use the 50 to 30 amp pig tail to plug in. My question is, will at least one AC run with the reduced amps while the residential fridge, lights, etc are on?
    We've had our 310GK on 30-amp service sites quite a bit. It will definitely run one A/C. Our hot water heater is always on electric heat when we're plugged in and we've often used the microwave on these sites, but I cannot swear that those were loading on the system at the same moment that the A/C was starting up or running. We haven't tripped a breaker.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    We've had our 310GK on 30-amp service sites quite a bit. It will definitely run one A/C. Our hot water heater is always on electric heat when we're plugged in and we've often used the microwave on these sites, but I cannot swear that those were loading on the system at the same moment that the A/C was starting up or running. We haven't tripped a breaker.
    Our previous Rockwood was only 30AMP. We ran the single AC, Hot water heater and microwave at the same time for 11 years. I am sure that at some point in that time they wear all on. I don't see it as an issue.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    Our previous Rockwood was only 30AMP. We ran the single AC, Hot water heater and microwave at the same time for 11 years. I am sure that at some point in that time they wear all on. I don't see it as an issue.

Rob
    It's not so much a question of can you do it ,as much as should you! It really depends on how good the Parks electrical is... Running the AC below 110 volts is not good for the compressor... Most parks now days have good power so it shouldn't be an issue.... just keep an eye on your voltage and adjust your power usage... The last 3 summers I've only run into 2 parks with bad power.... Years back we spent the summer in a older park with bad wiring... normal volts reading at 105v. during peak hours, lost the AC after 4 months....
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My 2670MK is wired for 50 amp, but we never put in the second AC. We always plug in to 30 amp sites, and run everything. I bought a locking ring 50 to 30 adaptor so I could use the old 30 amp cord extension cord from the prior RV. I bring the original 50 amper along, for times when we need extra cord length, but have never needed to get it out. It is so much easier than wrestling with that monster heavy cord....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
    It's not so much a question of can you do it ,as much as should you! It really depends on how good the Parks electrical is... Running the AC below 110 volts is not good for the compressor... Most parks now days have good power so it shouldn't be an issue.... just keep an eye on your voltage and adjust your power usage... The last 3 summers I've only run into 2 parks with bad power.... Years back we spent the summer in a older park with bad wiring... normal volts reading at 105v. during peak hours, lost the AC after 4 months....
    @Sportsdad60 the above is a consideration if you don't have a good power management device installed. We have this:

https://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems-hw50c

... which ensures that if power voltage or quality varies much from the conditions that air conditioners and other appliances need then it disconnects the power and watches for it to improve. It has protected us a few times. However as @Big Blue says campsite power is usually OK and our air conditioner and other appliances are just fine.

Loading a park's 30-amp circuit with one of your trailer's A/C units isn't inherently a problem unless there's already a problem with the park's supply, which an EMS like the one above will protect you from.
    Last edited by boyscout; 02-09-2021 at 09:39 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast