User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CPAP connection question

My 2020 240RL does not come with a 12V power outlet in the bedroom. I use a CPAP machine and we Boondock 95% of the time. My question is can I attach a 12V power outlet to the hot side of the light by my side of the bed? My CPAP is a Resmed and according to the spec’s it runs off 24V DC. I am curious to know what is the best way to resolve this and how others have gotten by on this matter.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you sure about the 24v dc? I am on my second Resmed CPAP and both are 12v dc. I replaced the 2 usb outlets on my side of the bed with a usb/power outlet and it works fine. (2019 22RBE).

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are correct. My bad. They are 12V.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 381 came with a USB port (powered by 12v) at the night stand, I removed it and installed a dual USB & 12v socket in it place.
    The Res Med is powered by 24v, the standard power converter is 120v to 24v, I use the accessory 12v to 24v converter when in the camper.
    2020 381M with Goosebox
    2006 F-450 16k GVWR

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Check your Resmed carefully - both of ours are 24v. I added a small inverter (600w), and plug the main RV cord into that. Then just plug the normal cpap and it's box into an outlet. The things to be very careful of with that jury rig solution:
    1, You must always remember to turn off the converter breaker in the RV. Otherwise your batteries will be trying to charge themselves, and that is not good, and they will go dead very quickly.
    2. You will get power for the TV, which is nice. But every other outlet and appliance that runs on 120v. will also get power. So hot water and fridge have to be on gas. And don't plug in anything else in an outlet, try to run the AC, or basically anything else except lights and maybe charge a cell phone...or you will kill the inverter and/or drain the batteries super fast....
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Talk with you CPAP upplier and get the 12V power cord (mine came with it). I have the Resmed too. It converts the 12V to 24V (brick in cord). I too was going to use the 12v light source by the side table until I discovered it did not have the capacity for the CPAP, so I ran 2 dedicated 12 volt lines from the battery and terminated with 12V power point plugs either side of the bed near the floor. Works perfect with the CPAP on the night stand an power could down to the floor. I did a write up here and over at the other place, I ran 2 separate circuits as my waif has one too. If you have the heated water tank it can draw some serious power.

Here is a link to what I did
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...highlight=CPAP
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sliptn View Post
    My 2020 240RL does not come with a 12V power outlet in the bedroom. I use a CPAP machine and we Boondock 95% of the time. My question is can I attach a 12V power outlet to the hot side of the light by my side of the bed? My CPAP is a Resmed and according to the spec’s it runs off 24V DC. I am curious to know what is the best way to resolve this and how others have gotten by on this matter.
    I like @powerscol's advice in msg #6 , because I did the same thing!

Adding a new 12V circuit or two into the bedroom is not likely a huge job since GD is already running 12V circuits into the bedroom. Just figure out how they've done it and you can likely piggyback on their work to get your circuit(s) installed via the same path. In your trailer, it also looks like a really simple task to run a circuit from the battery up under the bed.

The 12V circuits you already have are for low-current LED lighting - I'm guessing you don't even have the USB chargers that some here have written about.

The documentation for the Resmed Airsense 10 says that it can require at peak as much as 104 watts of power. While it probably hardly ever draws that much, if it did that would be more than the wiring for your existing 12V circuits should be handling. You should prepare for the specified power requirement, and the calculated requirement for that draw over ten feet is 13AWG wiring. So put in 10AWG or 12AWG with a proper fuse and never have to think about it again.

Finally, to confirm discussions about voltage required your CPAP machine probably DOES require 24 volts as you originally believed. The 120V-240V power supply that you usually use, and the 12V one that you'll buy for use in the trailer, both convert and supply 24V to the CPAP machine.

Good luck.
    Last edited by boyscout; 07-17-2020 at 08:31 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all. I just checked both my CPAP machines. Mine are Philips Resperonics (sp?) from the power brick: 120v input, 12v 6.65a output. Your machines may be different. I have used the older machine for camping for the last 7 years running directly from a 12v AGM with a power outlet. It is now in my 22RBE and runs from the power outlet I installed by the bed or from 120 if I have shore power.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mwfett View Post
    Hi all. I just checked both my CPAP machines. Mine are Philips Resperonics (sp?) from the power brick: 120v input, 12v 6.65a output. Your machines may be different. I have used the older machine for camping for the last 7 years running directly from a 12v AGM with a power outlet. It is now in my 22RBE and runs from the power outlet I installed by the bed or from 120 if I have shore power.
    Yup, you're using a completely different machine, everyone else who has mentioned a brand name in this thread has mentioned Resmed. Resmed's most recent top models are definitely 24-volt machines. They come with a 120/240V power supply that supplies 24V to the machine, and there's an optional 12V power supply that also supplies 24V to the machine.

Thanks for reminding that other CPAP manufacturers may do it differently. Connecting directly to 12V would be nice; Resmed owners have to buy the following over-priced power supply to do that.

https://www.amazon.com/ResMed-AirSen...s%2C179&sr=8-5

(There are less-expensive third-party alternatives but I can't advise about them. I bit down and bought the brand-name article; it's nicely over-built and draws less power than expected.)
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same CPAP problem. I was wondering if I could run my Z2 CPAP off of the 12V socket on my booster battery pack with 1500 peak amps, using an approved 12v cigar-lighter plug cord. Any thoughts on this simple solution?
    John Wood and Pat Shackelford
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    2016 F250 KR FX4
    Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 3000QB
    2 Australian Shepherds and looking forward to retirement...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast