User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Use whichever EMS matches the camper. 50A camper, 50A EMS. 30A camper, 30A EMS. The adapters will provide what is needed to the camper without affecting EMS.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Exactly what @FT4NOW said

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Average Jane View Post
    That makes me wonder...

If you use a 50amp to 30amp adapter then you can't use the 30amp ems correct?
    Good question for which I do not know the answer. The 50 amp outlet has four connectors while the 30 amp outlet has three therefore I'm assuming JayRay's explanation is correct. The EMS system continued to function normally.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree.
    Logic would dictate your 30 amp trailer breaker system (sans EMS) would trip somewhere if you were to draw 45 amps (about what you can expect (80%) from one leg of a 50 amp line). Same with a 30 amp EMS.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Use whichever EMS matches the camper. 50A camper, 50A EMS. 30A camper, 30A EMS. The adapters will provide what is needed to the camper without affecting EMS.

So I'm a little confused here. I have a 50a trailer. If I'm at a park with only 30a service (which many are), would I not be able to use my 50a EMS? Tell me I don't need to buy 2 of these rather expensive units (30a and 50a). Or would I just put a 50a to 30a adapter on the EMS and plug it into the 30a outlet?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mexmahon View Post
    So I'm a little confused here. I have a 50a trailer. If I'm at a park with only 30a service (which many are), would I not be able to use my 50a EMS? Tell me I don't need to buy 2 of these rather expensive units (30a and 50a). Or would I just put a 50a to 30a adapter on the EMS and plug it into the 30a outlet?
    You just need to plug your 50a EMS into a 50a to 30a adapter.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As @Ynot4me2 said, just use a 50->30 A dog bone and the EMS will work on 30A, we do that very often and no issues.

2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    You just need to plug your 50a EMS into a 50a to 30a adapter.
    I apologize for the redundancy here, but I just want to make sure before I fork out $300+ for a 50a EMS unit that it will also work as it should on a 30a receptical, because that's what I seem to run into more than anything at campgrounds are 30a recepticals. Thanks for the replies. Also, I gotta ask, would a Prog. Ind. EMS PT50X be a good choice for what I'm looking to do?
    Last edited by mexmahon; 07-07-2021 at 10:10 AM.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologize for the redundancy here, but I just want to make sure before I fork out $300+ for a 50a EMS unit that it will also work as it should on a 30a receptical, because that's what I seem to run into more than anything at campgrounds are 30a recepticals. Thanks for the replies. Also, I gotta ask, would a Prog. Ind. EMS PT50X be a good choice for what I'm looking to do?
    Yes but you will only get 30amp worth of power. PI is a very reputable company with good CS. For less trouble, I'd get the hardwire version but it's more expensive. I have the portable version but I always lock it on the post. You easy for someone to help themselves.

Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    Yes but you will only get 30amp worth of power. PI is a very reputable company with good CS. For less trouble, I'd get the hardwire version but it's more expensive. I have the portable version but I always lock it on the post. You easy for someone to help themselves.

So I'm good with the PI PT50X EMS, but then I got thinkin(not sure if thats good or not), even my new generator is set up with a 30a outlet. So for me to use the 50a EMS with the generator or any campground with 30a only, I would need a 30a to 50a adaptor. If I prefer to use my smaller 30a cable am I good to get another adaptor on the outlet side of the EMS and go from 50a back to 30a and then to the trailer?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayRay View Post
    Apologies for a really basic question, I'm a newbie and not an electrician. Seems like forum members here and elsewhere speak to Progressive Industries protectors; awesome. I have a 30 amp TT, so when I'm out and should happen to be at camp site that is 50 amp, are there separate connections for 30 and 50 amps? Or do I get a 50 amp protector and then a 50-30 amp connector? Sorry for such a naïve question
    Most will be 30/50 meaning they have both in the pedestal. However, I do carry a 50A-30A dog bone adapter just in case. I have the same trailer and only have about 6 months of experience on you. I have a 30A progressive EMS- Honestly, I wish I would have bought the 50 you will find people reference the next trailer or TV tow vehicle. I have fallen into the rabbit hole.

I would recommend purchasing and reading No Shock Zone (NOSHOCKZONE.ORG) learn how to use a multimeter and learn to check the pedestal (or other stuff) yourself if needed. I recently camped at a KOA with 30A service it was in the low acceptable range but the Progressive EMS would not allow for hook up. This is not to knock the Progressive EMS- I love it and depend on the easy program. But sometimes life is just not easy.

Welcome, and enjoy! there is a lot to learn and tons of helpful people here.
    Last edited by ExNihilo; 07-09-2021 at 06:25 AM.
    Ex-Nihilo
    2022 2970RL (Fabricated 1/4 Inch Bumper w/ RV Generator Boxes)
    1200AH Lithium, 1000w Solar w/ Victron Multi-Plus II
    5.5K Axles- EOH Disc Brakes- Hensley Arrow
    Road Master Slipper Springs
    2021 RAM Longhorn 2500 Cummins 6.7
    Chattanooga TN

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast