User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Surge Protector / Hookup

Apologies for a really basic question, I'm a newbie and not an electrician. Seems like forum members here and elsewhere speak to Progressive Industries protectors; awesome. I have a 30 amp TT, so when I'm out and should happen to be at camp site that is 50 amp, are there separate connections for 30 and 50 amps? Or do I get a 50 amp protector and then a 50-30 amp connector? Sorry for such a naïve question
    JayRay
    2021 2600 RB; GMC Sierra HD

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum.

Most camp sites are either 30A or 30A/50A. The sites with both have separate breakers and receptacles for each power source. I would get the 30A if your trailer is 30A. It's good to have a 50 to 30 adapter in the event there is only 50A. Make sure the surge protector is an EMS type unit, not just a surge protector.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks much; your post plus a post I found on Camp Addict cleared up my confusion. For anyone else seeing this question down the road, see: https://campaddict.com/best-rv-surge-protector/
    I'm going with the PT30x EMS. It's portable, so I know I need to buy a lock, but at this stage one less thing to sort out - installing a permanent EMS.
    Thanks much.
    JayRay

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JayRay View Post
    Apologies for a really basic question, I'm a newbie and not an electrician. Seems like forum members here and elsewhere speak to Progressive Industries protectors; awesome. I have a 30 amp TT, so when I'm out and should happen to be at camp site that is 50 amp, are there separate connections for 30 and 50 amps? Or do I get a 50 amp protector and then a 50-30 amp connector? Sorry for such a naïve question
    I second what @FT4NOW said and would add the 50A to 30A adapter is also handy in a pinch if the 30A receptacle is bad (loose or whatever) you can use the 50A. Just be aware that the 50A breaker will not correctly protect your 30A wiring. Which is why I said use it in a pinch. Otherwise try to use the 30A receptacle.

Chris

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks very much; I went w/ the Progressive PT30x; your replies + a post on CampAddict (https://campaddict.com/best-rv-surge-protector/) were very helpful. I appreciate y'all
    JayRay

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget to lock it. Its pretty easy for someone to pick. For that reason, if you can afford to get the built in version, it less trouble and more secure.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

Most camp sites are either 30A or 30A/50A. The sites with both have separate breakers and receptacles for each power source. I would get the 30A if your trailer is 30A. It's good to have a 50 to 30 adapter in the event there is only 50A. Make sure the surge protector is an EMS type unit, not just a surge protector.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I agree with FT4NOW also. It is good to have options in case you are somewhere only 50 A sites are left. Definitely EMS it will actually shut off instead of just alarm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin & Deb. 2021 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 Diesel SRW Platinum
    Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum Edition

[/SIGPIC]

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried to reply to the posts; not sure why they are not posting. Thank you for hte replies, I ended up going w/ a Progressive EMS PT30x, and have some heavy duty cable locks to keep them somewhat secured. thanks for the help
    JayRay

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased the same one and briefly looked through the manual. My understanding for use is, power the breaker off, plug in the EMS and power the breaker on - if no errors, power the breaker off, plug into rv and then plug rv into ems and then flip the breaker back on and wait?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Average Jane View Post
    I purchased the same one and briefly looked through the manual. My understanding for use is, power the breaker off, plug in the EMS and power the breaker on - if no errors, power the breaker off, plug into rv and then plug rv into ems and then flip the breaker back on and wait?
    Yes the short wait is for the system to verify before it powers the RV. I normally do this while the RV is running the self level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin & Deb. 2021 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 Diesel SRW Platinum
    Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum Edition

[/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast