User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My approach has been to get a price WITHOUT taxes and tags - but including any additional "fees". Since the taxes and tag costs will vary by state, etc. for comparison with others.
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum
    2019 Starcraft Mossy Oak 26BH - Getting ready to sell!
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My numbers do not include any tax, docs fees, licensing, etc. Just simply the price off the MSRP. On the lot units might get a little better pricing depending on the model. Some models become less popular so dealers are more willing to bargain. Not saying this is your case, just a general comment for all to consider.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LivyZoe View Post
    Question when you guys say 30% off is that off MSRP for an out the door price?
    That is before taxes, title or registration. These all vary from state to state. Oregon has a small sales tax (.5%?) on vehicles now. It used to be zero. I never pay document fees, freight, dealer prep or any other "add on" charges from the dealer. In your case $60k would be a good deal on an $86k MSRP if it's a 2021 model.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep 2021 model, I have found 2 2020 models but one was 67k and one is the same 60k so why not go newer. I'll let you know what the real deal is when it's done. Using your guys logic I am at about 62.5k or about 27% off MSRP (when I take taxes/reg out of the mix).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We ordered our 381M two weeks ago. MSRP was about $110,000.00 Final price out the door was $77,000.00 Hope this helps

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    My point is the dealer doesn't charge any more (or lower your discount) for the paint option. It's built into their MSRP pricing just like any other option.
    Ah, I see what you're saying. It is built into the MSRP. What I meant is the price the dealer actually pays the factory for the paint addon vs the additonal MSRP markup margin for the paint add on is less vs other in house add ons so the dealer has less room to hide his cost.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    Ah, I see what you're saying. It is built into the MSRP. What I meant is the price the dealer actually pays the factory for the paint addon vs the additonal MSRP markup margin for the paint add on is less vs other in house add ons so the dealer has less room to hide his cost.
    Let me try it another way.

Grand Design knows how much all of their options cost and they add their profit and dealer profit into their MSRP price. Yes, full body paint is done off site but that has no affect on their cost. They just add their usual markup and list the MSRP accordingly. The full body paint option is no different than the 8,000lb axle option as far as Grand Design is concerned. They both have a cost to them and they both get a markup for MSRP.

If you think about it, why would Grand Design list an option like full body paint with a lower margin than any of their other options? Makes no sense.

Having said that - I absolutely could see a dealer trying to make more money by telling a potential customer that they can't discount the full body paint as much (for whatever reason they think the customer might believe).
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Let me try it another way.

Grand Design knows how much all of their options cost and they add their profit and dealer profit into their MSRP price. Yes, full body paint is done off site but that has no affect on their cost. They just add their usual markup and list the MSRP accordingly. The full body paint option is no different than the 8,000lb axle option as far as Grand Design is concerned. They both have a cost to them and they both get a markup for MSRP.

If you think about it, why would Grand Design list an option like full body paint with a lower margin than any of their other options? Makes no sense.

Having said that - I absolutely could see a dealer trying to make more money by telling a potential customer that they can't discount the full body paint as much (for whatever reason they think the customer might believe).
    There is not a blanket margin on a product offering. Any operation will not have just a single markup margin % (well, except those that specifically state they are a "cost plus" operation or similar) on anything. I am sure the margin % varies across the upgade options and is constanly negotiated internally, with suppliers, and outside vendors/contractors. It's reasonable that some options cost more and have a lower margin to keep the overall MSRP at a more attractive price to consumers.

Now to argue the validity of how much the % of margin varies between the add ons from naufcaturer to dealer is a different story. There are a lot of factors that can affect dealer costs such as cost of delivery of the unit, discount by volume contracts, etc. I am certainly suspect of sales tactics, but for 4 different dealers to all offer closer to 30% off MSRP without paint package and then to all drop the total MSRP Discount I would think there has to be at least some truth, or at least an industry standard practice to not off past a certain discount on certain upgrades.

IF there were any consistency in the sales, then this conversation wouldn't exist.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Texas.Yankee View Post
    IF there were any consistency in the sales, then this conversation wouldn't exist.
    Very true!

I got about 30% off MSRP for all three of my Grand Design 5th wheels and the last two had full body paint. The paint slowed delivery but had no affect on my deal or the discount I got. Grand Design has been raising their price for full body paint so I'm guessing that as demand has increased, their paint contractor has raised prices. MSRP for FBP on our 2019 Solitude 373FB-R was $11,241. The MSRP for FBP on our 2020 310GK-R was $12,373 (and the 310 is 7' shorter - less work). MSRP for FBP on the 2021 310GK is now $13,046.

And BTW, I agree there is no blanket margin. I was trying to explain something in simple terms but failed miserably.

As an aside, we tried to order a Solitude 373FB-R in late 2017 to replace our Reflection but after sending requests to around a dozen dealers, none of them would sell at 30% off MSRP so we didn't buy anything. A year later we tried again with a 2019 Solitude 373FB-R and our home town dealer accepted the 30% off MSRP offer so we ordered from them again. None of the other dealers were interested. A year ago I started with my home town dealer for the 30% off MSRP on our current 2020 Solitude 310GK-R and they accepted. I was happy with that price so I didn't try any other dealers. I might have been able to get a better discount but I feel my local dealer was giving me a good price and they do a fantastic job with the PDI. We've had just minor issues with all three of our Grand Design 5th wheels and I think part of that is because the dealer does such a great job prepping the RV's prior to sale.
    Brian & Kellie

Previous setups:

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again guys, we are getting closer to the 30% mark and I am happy with the deal. Should hear back from the dealer today to see if they accept our counter offer, I’ll post my final deal cost.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast