User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What TV to buy??

I know it has been discussed many times before, but I'm looking at buying a 297RSTS or a 315 RLTS and really am having a difficult time on what truck to buy.
    I'm wondering if a Chevy 2500 would tow either one of these trailers and which one would be the best for either of these trailers. I am leaning toward the gas engine as it is my daily drive. Most of our travels are here in Wis. and down to Az. for the winter so not a lot of mountains do I encounter, and if we did take a trip to the western states it most likely would be a one time trip. Thanks for any input and it will be greatly appreciated.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Go to YouTube and search on "UNDERSTANDING GVWR & PAYLOAD." It's not about "pulling," it's about payload. You can also get the numbers from the truck and trailer weight and loading stickers and enter them here:

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-calc-...eight-fw.shtml

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those are both on the heavy side - I would think ya would want at least a 2500 /F250 sized truck if you encounter mountains fairly regularly.

The 297 may be doable with a Half ton if you did alot of local camping.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2019 297RSTS I pull with an 06 Ram 2500 Cummins. Pulls like a dream. I don't think I would want to be pulling it with a gas engine. JMHO.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PETE DOLL View Post
    I know it has been discussed many times before, but I'm looking at buying a 297RSTS or a 315 RLTS and really am having a difficult time on what truck to buy.
    I'm wondering if a Chevy 2500 would tow either one of these trailers and which one would be the best for either of these trailers. I am leaning toward the gas engine as it is my daily drive. Most of our travels are here in Wis. and down to Az. for the winter so not a lot of mountains do I encounter, and if we did take a trip to the western states it most likely would be a one time trip. Thanks for any input and it will be greatly appreciated.
    We have the 315RLTS, and opted for a 1 ton diesel. We do lots through the CA mountains, do it was a good choice for us. This provides ample payload reserve. I could see a 1 ton gas if not to much mountains, and I am sure they will handle the mountains, but things I would look at would be payload, fuel consumption and noise, not necessarily capability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been towing a 2020 297 RSTS for two years now with a Chevy 2500 gasserwith no issues. It does scream doing hills and mountains but that is what it should do. It likes to be wound up. I have weighed mine fully loaded for our winter trip and came in under 8700lbs. We don't carry a lot of unneeded stuff. We travel from Md. to Tx. for 3.5 months and don't do many mountains. I would not try the 315RLTS though. I also found out coming home this year that I have enough truck to stop this trailer quickly. There are so many idiots on the road now because Covid is easing. The roads were quiet heading South in Jan. I'm sure there was more wear on my brakes in five days than over the past two years. A lot of people on here will tell you it is not enough truck for towing or stopping. They do not know what they are talking about.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s not all about pulling. A diesel exhaust brake and disc brakes on the trailer are worth every penny in an emergency.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that a 3/4 ton will do the job, but go with the 6.6 engine if you go GM.

Ford's new 7.3 Godzilla engine is stronger, however.

Both of those trailers are relatively heavy. Have you considered going one notch up and getting one of the smaller Reflection fifth wheels. They tow so much better than travel trailers and are easier to unhook, etc.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papermakermd View Post
    I have been towing a 2020 297 RSTS for two years now with a Chevy 2500 gasserwith no issues. It does scream doing hills and mountains but that is what it should do. It likes to be wound up. I have weighed mine fully loaded for our winter trip and came in under 8700lbs. We don't carry a lot of unneeded stuff. We travel from Md. to Tx. for 3.5 months and don't do many mountains. I would not try the 315RLTS though. I also found out coming home this year that I have enough truck to stop this trailer quickly. There are so many idiots on the road now because Covid is easing. The roads were quiet heading South in Jan. I'm sure there was more wear on my brakes in five days than over the past two years. A lot of people on here will tell you it is not enough truck for towing or stopping. They do not know what they are talking about.
    I also tow my 2021 297 RSTS With my 2015 chevy 2500hd and it tows just fine, just did a trip from Florida to Virginia and I didn't have any issues. First thing was a trip to the cat scale and also came under by more than 1k lbs so I was good there. Like papermakermd mentioned, on hills it'll growl but that's what it's supposed to do when going up hill. Besides that everything else is normal wear and tear from towing. I travel with my family so safety was first so before upgrading from a 28ft trailer to a 34ft I did my homework and made sure I was able to tow safely first, the dealer was saying I could tow a 5th wheel but we know they just want to sell. At the end I'm happy and comfortable towing my 297 RSTS with no issues.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2008 Chevy 3/4 with the Duramax and tow a 297RSTS. My brother had a 2014 Chevy 3/4 with 6 liter gas. I got 3-4 mpg than he did with a similar size trl. He traded in his gasser for the Duramax and wished he would have bought the Duramax in the first place. 185000 miles and no issues with the Duramax, tows well up and down the mountains and 14mpg on the flats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast