Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp AdirondackCamper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should I Hire a RV Inspector?

I have concerns about the quality control with my newly ordered 2800BH. Even before reading anything on this forum I expressed concerns with my wife about manufactures being stretched to their limits and pumping out these trailers too quickly to keep up with demands. And after reading some threads here has me concerned enough to possibly hiring an RV Inspector to inspect my trailer.
    Anyone have thoughts on this? Has anyone used and inspector before? I could inspect it myself but don't feel confident that I would know what to look for as an RV inspector would.
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2800 BH (Proposed Delivery Date is May)
    2007 Ford F-250 CCSB King Ranch W/Tow Pkg 6.0 Diesel (Bullet Proofed)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely positively yes.
    We just finalized purchase of a new Solitude 310 yesterday.
    Best $700 we spent was for the base ($500)plus mechanicals ($200) deep dive inspection. He did the PDI for us, way more thorough and knowledgeable than us newbies could have been.
    FWIW, our rig was complete in Dec 2020 and Jeff reports it’s the best rig he ever inspected, had to work very hard to find anything (the dealer did their own cleanup also, but just a few things here and there).
    I know they are flexed up on production, but, if our rig is average product coming off the line, you should be fine. This is reason #1 why we choose GD.

Use the national org website to find a local person, or:
    If you are within 200 Miles of Greensboro, NC, I HIGHLY recommend Jeff:

Jeff Paisley
    Appalachian RV Repair and Inspections
    Phone: 704-402-2901
    Email: [email protected]

—-
    ‘21 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71 SRW
    ‘21 Solitude 310 GK-R
    Last edited by JM0397; 02-07-2021 at 10:42 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know they are flexed up on production, but, if our rig is average product coming off the line, you should be fine. This is reason #1 why we choose GD.
    This is also why we chose Grand Design. Nervous though.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear ya!
    Similar concerns here also, some good info and advice from the forum here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-fixing-issues

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JM0397 View Post
    I hear ya!
    Similar concerns here also, some good info and advice from the forum here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-fixing-issues
    Thanks I’ll check it out.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdirondackCamper View Post
    I have concerns about the quality control with my newly ordered 2800BH. Even before reading anything on this forum I expressed concerns with my wife about manufactures being stretched to their limits and pumping out these trailers too quickly to keep up with demands. And after reading some threads here has me concerned enough to possibly hiring an RV Inspector to inspect my trailer.
    Anyone have thoughts on this? Has anyone used and inspector before? I could inspect it myself but don't feel confident that I would know what to look for as an RV inspector would.
    If you're buying from a reputable dealer I wouldn't waste money on an inspection. Walking through everything with your dealer and taking your time will uncover the majority of things worth finding. Just make sure they're repaired on the spot if something is found. Coming back another day with the rig should be avoided if possible. Everything of operation should be demonstrated thoroughly and cosmetic things just take time to find. Be patient when looking. Expect a long day when picking up the RV.
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Will Not Be Dictated To
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing to do with Hiring an Inspector, but....

Quote Originally Posted by AdirondackCamper View Post
    Nothing to do with hiring an inspector, just my 2 cents worth, which may be worth that or less or more. Our 297RSTS is our third TT, so we are not exactly novices at this. I learnt fairly quickly that a TT RV is not built like a car/truck or a house or a Wanderlodge. I now understand that for $40-$50K, you can't expect the quality of a $200K unit. I believe all RV's are some level of junk, ranging from crap to really well made. As lots of people often point out the components for most RV's are the same, made by a relatively small number of companies. The essential difference is how the unit is made and who made it. In my personal opinion GD makes a better than most TT unit, comparatively speaking, it is a better made unit that our then new 1996 Coachmen Catalina (crap), and our then new 2007 Dutchmen Adirondack (not as crappy), but it is by no means a Van Leigh or Luxury Suites level unit. You get what you pay for.
    I left the Forum due to dictatorial administration

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No way would I spend 500-700 ????? Oh my

In a years time of rumbling down the highway and other things falling apart that money will be a waste imo

My PDI was 10 minutes. My choice. Drove 14 hours and had a longer drive back so wasn’t bothering with a long drawn out inspection
    If the dealer was close I guess it would matter but in my case if something was wrong I was taking it anyway
    GD inspects it and my dealer inspects it twice

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew 1840 payload
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with most here and save your money. Take your time during the PDI and test everything. Dont sign the final papers or give them any money prior to your pdi. If you search this forum you'll find that one of our member created a pretty detailed check list.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have hired an inspector to perform an inspection before we took possession. That gave us the peace of mind that we were getting a rig that was ready for us to move in full time. The inspector found no major defects, and only a few minor issues, that were resolved promptly.