User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie here: No lights with 300watts of solar

We brought home our brand new 3740BH yesterday. Has the dealer installed GD 300watt solar package. Got it home. Refrigerator is running. Slides are running. The TV had power. But we couldn't get any lights to turn on. What are we doing wrong? We looked at the dealer installed batteries (Battle Born coming this week). In the battery compartment there is the "Jaboni" box with the battery symbols; one has a red light under it and one has a green light under it. The charge controller in the pass through storage reads 11.2.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Were they working before? Lights are 12v, maybe verify the fuse in the panel. Is that the only thing that isn't working? Do they work when you're plugged in?

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you plugged in to shore power? If so, the converter/charger should supply the 12VDC for lights. Make sure the circuit breaker for that did not get turned off. If not on shore power, check the battery cut-off switch. The other things you mentioned are before the batteries. If the battery cut-off switch is off, no power will get through to the DC systems.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Are you plugged in to shore power? If so, the converter/charger should supply the 12VDC for lights. Make sure the circuit breaker for that did not get turned off. If not on shore power, check the battery cut-off switch. The other things you mentioned are before the batteries. If the battery cut-off switch is off, no power will get through to the DC systems.

Rob
    The circuit breaker is good. By battery cut off do you mean battery disconnect? Am I correct that if by chance the battery disconnect was off at the dealer we wouldn't have known if we were connected to shore power?

I think my original post wasn't articulated well.....We were connected to shore power at the dealer during our PDI and all was well. We ran everything while the tech walked us through the RV, and it was plugged into the dealer shore power.

We have 300watts of solar, so when we got home we expected to be able to turn on lights. However, there is no power for lights, outlets, etc. Nothing. When we originally went to see the RV on the dealer lot it was not connected to shore power. It had power for lights and outlets without shore power; presumably the power to the batteries was being supplied by the solar panels. That's what we were told and it makes total sense.

Besides breakers and battery disconnect is there anything I should be looking for? We've checked the breakers. I haven't looked at the battery disconnect because while I'm reading your comments it's storming outside. I'll check when I don't have to get soaked doing it.

Thank you for your help.

Kim

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kengqiuist View Post
    Am I correct that if by chance the battery disconnect was off at the dealer we wouldn't have known if we were connected to shore power?...

We have 300watts of solar, so when we got home we expected to be able to turn on lights. However, there is no power for lights, outlets, etc. Nothing. When we originally went to see the RV on the dealer lot it was not connected to shore power. It had power for lights and outlets without shore power; presumably the power to the batteries was being supplied by the solar panels. That's what we were told and it makes total sense.

Besides breakers and battery disconnect is there anything I should be looking for? We've checked the breakers. I haven't looked at the battery disconnect because while I'm reading your comments it's storming outside. I'll check when I don't have to get soaked doing it.

Thank you for your help.

Kim
    You are correct - if connected to shore power, you would not have known that the battery disconnect switch was in the off position. This is because when on shore power, 12VDC power is supplied to the rig by the converter/charger (not solar). Solar only charges the batteries and the batteries have to be on-line in order for them (charged by the solar) to supply 12VDC to the rest of the rig. The battery disconnect seems the most likely culprit. If you haven't already, make sure the dealer connected the batteries and did it correctly.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015