Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    So how long do these run on battery ?
    Define "run".....

A residential fridge is much more efficient than an RV version. Just like at home, when the power goes out, you keep the door closed, and it keeps cold pretty darn long. They only run the compressor when needed, versus the RV absorption version that runs almost constantly (and still needs 12 volt for the circuit board).

In a stand alone situation, with no outside power and keeping the doors closed for long periods, you should go for days. Add in the usage of 12 volt for everything else that you would have to use with no other outside power, and it should be a day or 2 depending on usage.

Lots of variables....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    Aren't the "standard" RV refrigerators a Norcold or Dometic Gas/Electric (as opposed to a "12volt")? If so, those gas absorption models are very inefficient IMO - takes days to get to initial temperature, and if you aren't quick with the doors it takes a long while to get it back down. A fan inside the fridge helps move air across the coils and will help cool it faster tho.

We're looking at an M or TH model, and have the same question about the residential units that the OP did. We were able to walk through a couple over the weekend with the residential and the salesman said they would run off the inverter while travelling. So how long do these run on battery (assuming 2 27 group batteries)?
    I can't answer your exact question, but this may give you some information: We ordered our Solitude 310GK-R with the residential refrigerator (hence the "-R"). I also planned to install two Battle Born 100 AH LiFePO4 batteries for the added capacity. To keep things going on long travel days or during power outages, we also ordered the 300 watt factory solar option (which comes with the charge controller, automatic transfer switch, and a 2,000 watt inverter). On long travel days with partly cloudy conditions, the batteries were still at full charge on arrival at our destination. Last summer a fencing contractor backed a Bobcat over the transformer that serves the military campground where we're staying and the park was without power for half a day. Again, the batteries were at full charge when the power came back on. All the while the residential fridge stayed at 38F and the freezer at -2 (mid- to high-80s outside that day). We spent our first 4-1/2 years full-time with a Dometic absorption fridge and never had that kind of consistent performance (not to mention that we had to have the Dometic cooling unit replaced once and the fridge died two or three other times, as well). For our lifestyle, I would be loathe to go back to an absorption fridge.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with Rob on the great asset that the residential refrigerator is in an RV.

The truck will keep your batteries charged enough to do an all day trip. It might not be at 100% but close, depending on the outside temperature.

I added 4 100A lithium batteries and a small solar array so that we could boondock a bit.

We love the residential frig. When getting ready for a trip; it only takes an hour to get down to temp. We just turn it on and fill it up. With our last rig ( 380TH ) we would turn on the absorption fridge the day before to get it down to temp.

When we bought the Solitude and did the walk-thru, we didn't notice the frig comes with a ice maker too. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are you talking the Grand Design Momentum 320g Toyhauler ,we have one a 2020 . it has the rv double fridge have had no issues at all , have had just the 1 season but it has been real good on propane . I plan on putting on a decent solar system on the trailer with inverter so will be running the fridge on 110 and propane when dry camping . We are very happy with the trailer so far love the big fridge, I am sure you will enjoy your new trailer.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HaywireRandy View Post
    are you talking the Grand Design Momentum 320g Toyhauler ,we have one a 2020 . it has the rv double fridge have had no issues at all , have had just the 1 season but it has been real good on propane . I plan on putting on a decent solar system on the trailer with inverter so will be running the fridge on 110 and propane when dry camping . We are very happy with the trailer so far love the big fridge, I am sure you will enjoy your new trailer.
    Have you looked at the current draw of an RV absorption refrigerator when running on AC? It will draw more current than a residential refrigerator and is better run on propane when dry camping.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    Ordering a new 320G today, or tomorrow, and it is definitely the residential fridge now. At least currently, you can still get the "older" style RV fridge if you are ordering new.
    What kind of deal did you get?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just field tested our Residential fridge for 4 days with solar option and battery only. Cloudy conditions.
    The battery was 13.4V the day we went on batt and 13.4 the day we shut it off.

The solar is enough to keep the batt charged with 18 CF res fridge running. In temps below 32 degs at that!
    2021 310GK-R - MorRyde suspension and pin box. Sumo Springs. Solar, 7k axles.
    2019 Lance 1062 Truck Camper, 2 slides.
    2021 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 6.7 diesel, 10 speed auto, 3.55 diff-48 gallon fuel capacity
    2000 F350 XLT HD SRW 2WD 7.3L diesel, 6-speed manual trans, 3.73 diff - Firestone Airbags-Bilstein Shocks. 82 gallon fuel capacity

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportsdad60 View Post
    We just field tested our Residential fridge for 4 days with solar option and battery only. Cloudy conditions.
    The battery was 13.4V the day we went on batt and 13.4 the day we shut it off.

The solar is enough to keep the batt charged with 18 CF res fridge running. In temps below 32 degs at that!
    You might want to think about getting a battery monitor to see measure what the State-of-charge is.
    Many use the Victron energy battery-monitors/bmv-712-smart. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Flight_rt View Post
    What kind of deal did you get?
    Just a little bit over 28% off. They gave me a pretty good deal on my current trailer as a trade in.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We have a 2020 (late 2019 build) and there was no res. fridge option. And to be honest, not sure I would have ordered it. Although, after listening to the folks brag how great they are, maybe I would have if it was an option when I purchased. One drawback I see is that you lose the cabinet above the fridge for long items. This RV fridge takes at least a full 24 hours to get cool. My old trailer would be cool in about 4 hours so not sure why this one is so much longer (it IS larger though). That is probably the most annoying part. I like the ability to run on propane when needed though and not draw the battery down.
    2020 GD 320G
    2021 Ram 3500 H.O. SRW.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast