User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andersen ultimate hitch ram short bed

Got a new 2020 ram HD with 6 1/2 ‘ bed and looking at Anderson gooseneck fifth wheel hitch. Had a slider with old truck and did not want to put rails in my new rig. I was curious if anybody has had an issue with reflection fifth wheel contacting the cab in a tight turn with the Anderson. Years ago with an old fifth wheel I blew out the corner post and back window so I’m a little paranoid.
    Thanks

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have an AUH hitch on a 6 3/4 foot Ford. You can turn pretty tight, you won't get 90 degrees. I have not had any issues backing into a driveway or camp spot towing with the AUH hitch.
    The design moves the ball location back around 4" towards the tailgate. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AU Hitch.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	31978
    2024 Ford F350 CCSB Lariat 7.3 4.30
    Sold- 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4
    Sold - 2020 Ford F350 Tremor 7.3 4.30
    Sold - 2020 GD Reflection 303RLS, 2019 GD Imagine 2250 RK

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We pulled our first 13K miles (Reflection 337) with a Sierra short bed and an Andersen (it's spelled with an "e") hitch (rail mount). The Ram beds used to be a couple of inches shorter than the GM beds (ours was 6'6") - don't know if that's the case now. Anyway, we never had a situation where we needed to get to 90 degrees, but got close to 80 or so a couple of times. Still had clearance between the cap and the cab. You'll just need to test it out with an observer in a parking lot to know what you can do and then keep an eye on things. The Reflections are narrower than the Solitudes and the front caps are designed to reduce the chances of contact.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No issues on my RAM, I did adjust the hitch.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F02D66EB-5B41-4D0C-9174-C2FF16B8331C.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	564.7 KB 
ID:	31981
    Bob and Cheryl, Puka the doodle
    2018 Ram 2500 Crew,Diesel,4x4
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    2012 Palomino 6.5 camper

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimbo, congratulations on the new truck. I have a 2017 Ram 3500 with 6'4" bed and Ramboxes. I use the ISR version Anderesen. I'm more than satisfied with the turning ability. See my attached YouTube video. Can contact occur? Absolutely it can happen. Knowing the limitations of your setup is key. I'm not extremely seasoned like many folks here but I always thought I needed to be able to make a 90 degree turn. In my camping adventures, I've never had to do that. Also looking back at the trailer tires when in a tight maneuver will help understand why the trailer doesn't like it either. Standard width fifthwheels don't seem to be much of an issue. When you get to the 100 or 101" wide units its a bit more nerve-wracking. Good luck with your setup and let us know if you have other questions.

2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Andersen hitch, I have had an occasion where I needed to hook up at an angle and it's way easier than a standard fifth wheel hitch.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS Pulled by 2019 F350 Crew cab diesel with Andersen hitch
    Still own: 2010 Heartland Elkridge 34DSRL

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadmasterD View Post
    I love my Andersen hitch, I have had an occasion where I needed to hook up at an angle and it's way easier than a standard fifth wheel hitch.
    I have the exact same setup (truck, trailer, hitch), and couldn’t be happier. It turns tighter than I want to, so I usually take a short pull-up to straighten things up a bit.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys this has been very helpful, and thank you Rob for correcting my spelling I’m going to pick up an AUH this week.
    Jim

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, don't forget to post up some pics when you get it, I don't have the AUH but I have the PullRite Super #2600 with my ram, I can get about 85% turn radius and if I needed to go far I will go back out and back up again. I had a slider hitch but I never use it, the only time I use it when I was just trying it out, so yeah I think that you will like that hitch.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered the Reese Goose Box?

I have researched both an have decided to go with the Reese Goose Box for all the same reasons that make the Andersen desirable. I just think the Goose Box offers more and it is approved by Lippert.

Good Luck! I also have a Ram Short Bed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast