User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trailer saver BD3 Hitch

Looking at getting the Trailer saver BD3 hitch for towing our 345GK Solitude. Anyone else using this hitch for towing a Solitude and is it worth it, etc?
    Last edited by RVfreedom; 12-11-2023 at 08:33 AM.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread moved to Fifth Wheel Hitching Topics.

Have you searched the forum for "BD3 hitch?"

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hitch comes up but not BD3

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVfreedom View Post
    Looking at getting the Trailer saver BD3 hitch for towing our 345GK Solitude. Anyone else using this hitch for towing a Solitude and is it worth it, etc?
    The BD3 is limited to 18k lbs trailer weight and 3500 lb pin weight, so I’d consider the BD5. Always hard to know what the future holds, and you won’t want to upgrade later…they are pricey.

We have a BD5, and love it. It removes the shock that’s transferred from the truck to the trailer, and vice versa. Of all the upgrades I’ve done, this is by far the one I would never want to do without. Whether the cost is justified really depends on how much you plan to travel. If your rig is going from the dealer to a campground and never moving, I wouldn’t spend the cash. If you are going to travel the US, I wouldn’t be without ours.

When you order, they will want to know the brand of truck you have, as the hitches are configured differently for GM or Ford. They are the same hitch though, with the exception of the steel straps on the front and back. The end plates are merely swapped from one side to the other. I actually have a BD5F (Ford), but it’s in a GM truck.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't have that particular hitch or a Solitude, but do have an air hitch and it is the smartest and best thing we did for my back and trailer. You won't regret it for a moment.

We do have a friend that has the Trailsaver for a heavier trailer and they love it.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are you located? I have one for sale to fit Ram pucks in Southern California.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in Florida. Don't have the Ram puck system. BW turnover ball installed.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RVfreedom View Post
    I have had the Trailer Saver BD3 hitch for several years. Absolutely "Love it".
    PM me if you have questions.
    David Lent

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    The BD3 is limited to 18k lbs trailer weight and 3500 lb pin weight, so I’d consider the BD5. Always hard to know what the future holds, and you won’t want to upgrade later…they are pricey.

We have a BD5, and love it. It removes the shock that’s transferred from the truck to the trailer, and vice versa. Of all the upgrades I’ve done, this is by far the one I would never want to do without. Whether the cost is justified really depends on how much you plan to travel. If your rig is going from the dealer to a campground and never moving, I wouldn’t spend the cash. If you are going to travel the US, I wouldn’t be without ours.

When you order, they will want to know the brand of truck you have, as the hitches are configured differently for GM or Ford. They are the same hitch though, with the exception of the steel straps on the front and back. The end plates are merely swapped from one side to the other. I actually have a BD5F (Ford), but it’s in a GM truck.
    I'm buying a new F-450 and will likely buy a new hitch. Currently have the Ford hitch (Reese 26K) and works OK. Hard to disconnect at times and have to brake hard in reverse to get it to release. Just found the BD5-F and looks like it would be a good upgrade for ride. Any problems disconnecting from this hitch? Does it sit below the bed rails so a tonneau cover can be used? I currently have a Bakflip cover with the Reese hitch and works well. Did have to reverse the pull handle so it points down and not up for clearance. Any other issues/comments about the BD5-F I should know? Thanks.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    I'm buying a new F-450 and will likely buy a new hitch. Currently have the Ford hitch (Reese 26K) and works OK. Hard to disconnect at times and have to brake hard in reverse to get it to release. Just found the BD5-F and looks like it would be a good upgrade for ride. Any problems disconnecting from this hitch? Does it sit below the bed rails so a tonneau cover can be used? I currently have a Bakflip cover with the Reese hitch and works well. Did have to reverse the pull handle so it points down and not up for clearance. Any other issues/comments about the BD5-F I should know? Thanks.
    I don’t have any problems with ours releasing. I suppose if you have enough forward pressure on it, it could be hard to release. I never have to put undo reverse pressure on it to get it to release though. Oftentimes when I do release it, the truck will roll forward slightly, so it had some pressure on it and I still didn’t have any problem.

It sits below the bed rails, and I use a roll-type tonneau cover over it when not towing. There are adjustments up and down.

Nothing else of note. It’s a fantastic hitch. Seeing how much it moves at the abrupt bridge joints will make you glad you have it to cushion the (otherwise) shock to the trailer frame.

I run ours with enough pressure to be just above the midpoint of travel. I may add a
    little air once a week, or if you go into a colder area.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast