Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face 5th Wheel desires

Hi all,

I am brand new to the Rv community, I love the outdoors and looking to get into a 5th wheel. MAN who thought it would be so hard to select something.
    but after a year of research i think we are moving towards some comfort in Grand Design.

I thought I would join the forum to hear the good the bad and the ugly prior to making our final decision.

I have not bought my truck yet, and we are looking between 27 - 30' RV,
    We are in our 50's have 2 kids 2 grand kids and a BIG dog, other than the Dog the kids or Babies would not be on every trip. so bunk house or no bunk house is the constant questions.

Reflection or the 150 lighter design. (is the structure the same in the frame and roof etc)

any thoughts and suggestions are totally appreciated.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome. Best thing to do would be to look at floor plans online, look at walk through videos of models you like and see if you can find one in person to explore. Spend some good time inside, sit on toilet, stand in shower, pretend you are cooking. Just get a good idea if that layout is something you like. Imagine where all your cookware and dishes will be stowed, etc.

Once you get the model narrowed down, you can figure out which truck is best, plenty of discussion on this forum about selecting the right truck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, In Ontario Canada right now during lock down is so hard to get out and see anything. hoping in the next week or so, that we can start to get out to touch and feel. It was such a bummer to hear the RV shows this year were all going to be on line. but I am hopeful that we select something that we can take possession of and start going RV this summer

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lookingtogorving View Post
    Hi all,

I am brand new to the Rv community, I love the outdoors and looking to get into a 5th wheel. MAN who thought it would be so hard to select something.
    but after a year of research i think we are moving towards some comfort in Grand Design.

I thought I would join the forum to hear the good the bad and the ugly prior to making our final decision.

I have not bought my truck yet, and we are looking between 27 - 30' RV,
    We are in our 50's have 2 kids 2 grand kids and a BIG dog, other than the Dog the kids or Babies would not be on every trip. so bunk house or no bunk house is the constant questions.

Reflection or the 150 lighter design. (is the structure the same in the frame and roof etc)

any thoughts and suggestions are totally appreciated.
    One thing I’ve learned in over 40 years camping and 6 different RVs is to get the one that best suits you and not others that could potentially come with. I bought a fifth wheel several years ago that would accommodate all my children, their significant others and my 2 grands only to find that they couldn’t get along together for more than a few hours! Sold that trailer for a huge loss.
    Last edited by Bungy; 02-08-2021 at 08:04 AM.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    One thing I’ve learned in over 40 years camping and 6 different RVs is to get the one that best suits you and not others that could potentially come with. I bought a fifth wheel several years ago that would accommodate all my children, their significant others and my 2 grands only to find that they couldn’t get along together for more than a few hours! Sold that trailer for a huge loss.
    I'll second this. When we first went full-time, our daughter was really upset with us (I usually use a different verb) for not getting a huge bunkhouse so she and her bus-load of kids could join us. We told her that we would meet them anywhere they wanted to camp... they have two large tents and all the equipment and her husband is willing to schlep it around and set it up. Why would we want a floorplan that doesn't suit us and a lot of extra useless space for the possibility that they may spend less that 0.5% of the time with us? Turns out that, in 5-1/2 years of full-timing, they've actually met us to camp only twice. We served as the camp kitchen (wore grandma out cooking) and watched the youngest while the rest of them went out and did all the things that school-age kids want to do and we don't have the energy to keep up with. You're not going to be comfortable in a 150 series with that many people and animals in it, anyway. Get what suits the three of you (counting the dog, here).

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 02-09-2021 at 07:43 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My suggestion is to buy one for yourself and not any one else that that may or may not be accompanying you. You can always make room for extra guests on a sofa sleeper or for the kids the floor works. The salesman that sold us our 5th wheel was telling us how many grand parents bought 5th wheels with the intention of the grand kids coming with them only to come back later wanting to trade in the bunk house they just purchased 6 months ago. Take your time and do a lot of research, we just bought our 3rd rig. We had a list of 10 units we thought we wanted along with the must haves and nice to haves. Each time we went to look at them we crossed off a couple. When your down to what you think the final unit is, go look at it multiple times on different days, you can't always remember what you looked at. Yes it will drive the sales person nuts, but it's your money you are spending and that doesn't come easily. Good hunting.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2018 RAM Laramie 3500 DRW
    Retired Navy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had gone to shows for a few years and had some general ideas about what we wanted and what we didn’t like. When we made a list of the must-haves and no-way items, it made our selection much easier than we had imagined.

Just to give you an idea, our list was basically:

Comfortable seating with direct viewing of the TV. No couches or looking sideways at the TV.

At least a queen bed with access on all sides.

Kitchen design with room for two people to work.

50A service.

Bedroom “isolation” so one of us can watch TV etc. while the other sleeps.

We didn’t limit our search to 5th wheels or TTs and didn’t concern ourselves with size or brand either. Once we had the list, it was easy to see online which models were of interest. The first place we shopped was chosen because they had several models in stock that met our wants list.

We looked at several and both quickly agreed we liked a particular travel trailer floorplan.

My wife had been leaning away from 5th wheels because she was unfamiliar, but I had been leaning toward them because I pull goosenecks a lot. When our salesman went inside to answer a call from his arguing children , I did a little scouting and found a 5th wheel with the same floorplan just a few spaces away. When he got back, he let us into the 5th wheel. We went back and forth between them, and my wife quickly fell for the higher ceilings and extra storage in the 5th wheel.

We went home with at least one good option in mind, and I began scouring manufacturers sites for similar floor plans. We quickly selected our rig after that.

I described our process not to convince you to go with our preferences, but to tell you how easy the selection process was once we figured out the things that were important to us. We really went from no particular idea to being almost certain what we wanted in a week or less.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've received great advice so far and I agree with them all. So I won't repeat. Along with what has been said so far, another feature that is important to us is access to the bath with all slides in. I took us 2 years to finally fall in love with a floor plan. Take your time. One thing you are really doing right is buying your TV after you select a trailer but still, keep growth in mind. Not knowing exactly what your looking at and what your camping style will be another thing to consider is the length. If you plan on doing parks then staying below 35' is almost a must. Where about in Ontario are you? We're from Ottawa.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Thanks for the info, we have been looking for a year now, I am 100% in, it's just getting the hubby on board..

I am close to Toronto (Bolton) used to travel to Ottawa every month prior to this covid

really looking forward to simple times at some great camp sites.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lookingtogorving View Post
    I am 100% in, it's just getting the hubby on board...
    Well, that should be easy, happy wife, happy life, right? Or as my wife likes to me remind me, she is ALWAYS right.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast