Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turning The Electric Tongue Jack

I tried to do a search on this put nothing came up I thought I saw a post on this , they turned the power head from facing front to the left side or driver side so the tailgate on the truck would open all the way the ? is does the power head turn or turn the entire jack . Just got a new hip would be nice not have to get in truck bed to get stuff if I did not want to disconnect for one night . Thanks DEDennis

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The entire jack turns. If it's like the one I had on a travel trailer, the plate on the jack is triangular with three holes. put the trailer on the truck, raise the jack, remove the three bolts, rotate the jack 120 degrees, and bolt everything back together.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The entire jack turns. If it's like the one I had on a travel trailer, the plate on the jack is triangular with three holes. put the trailer on the truck, raise the jack, remove the three bolts, rotate the jack 120 degrees, and bolt everything back together.

Rob
    Rob, thanks for the response I think I can handle that will give it a try tomorrow. Hope it is warm wherever you guys are. thanks DEDennis

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DEDennis View Post
    Rob, thanks for the response I think I can handle that will give it a try tomorrow. Hope it is warm wherever you guys are. thanks DEDennis
    Warm? What's that? 26F right now and snow forecast for 7 of the next 10 days. (Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD.) We are thankful for dual pane windows and Solitude insulation.

BTW - you can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you ask a question. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rumor has it you can turn the head 90 degrees. The holes are drilled but you'll need to tap them.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    Rumor has it you can turn the head 90 degrees. The holes are drilled but you'll need to tap them.
    This is fact not rumor. I did mine, took about 15 minutes total.
    You will need a 5/16-18 tap and an "F" drill. You can also use a 1/4 and wiggle it to git it large enough for the tap to start.
    You can hand tap or use a drill to tap (slow speed) with as I did. (I never use oil when tapping thin steel)
    You'll have to remove the propane tank cover to be able to work on the back hole.
    Be wary of chips falling into the jack inners, get creative to prevent/remove those chips.
    (I never use oil when tapping thin steel)
    Good luck.

PS I helped a friend do his but the tailgate on his Chevy truck still would not clear.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did mine a couple of weeks ago. These gals show how to do it. A couple of things I would add when threading the holes. Make sure you are straight, use some oil and thread a little, back off a little, thread some more. Super easy so long as you have enough wire to remove the head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeWl...ature=youtu.be
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turning the entire jack gives you a 1/3 turn which may or may not work depending on your hitch.

I too turned my jack head. Just follow that link in the post above. Super easy to do.
    Charles and Susan
    2021 Ram 3500 Laramie, 6.4 Hemi, 4x4 CCSB
    2021 337rls w/ Andersen hitch.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As people have mention you can turn jack. I bought a longer hitch shank from Equalizer with gave me just enough clearance for kayaks in bed of pickup to clear camper in tight turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I turned my jack head also. Didn't take long at all and I have not had any troubles with the new position.
    Jim & Kathy
    Gracie, our 14 year old Rescued Beagle, waiting at the Rainbow Bridge with her big sister Bailey
    Suzy our 8 year old rescued Beagle
    2019 2500RL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast