User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb 2600 RB Propane Tank Question

Hello, a newbie here.

The 2600RB comes with 2 20# tanks. I was interested in possibly going to two 30# tanks; the reasoning was added capacity for running 2 honda EU22001 paralleled with propane conversions. Trips would generally be 3 days. Is it possible, is it a worthy consideration? Or am I just a newbie who has ventured a little too far off the trail?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I will be picking it up this week, so I figured I would throw it out there for modification before pick up if I can get credited for the original tanks.

Should it be relevant, I have a 1500 RAM with a 12000# tow rating with an r3 Recurve WD Hitch.

Thanks, and see ya out there!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last trailer was a 2008 19' Aerolite, and it had two 30lb bottles. 30's seem to be more common on older trailers. It seems to me that it's just another way for the dealers to save a few pennies. Are there any other reasons? There is only a 32lb difference in weight for two full bottles. Maybe you can request your dealer to deliver it to you with the 30's.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like having 20# tanks because you can get a exchange tank at a lot more places then you can get a 30# one filled

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for the replies. I may be overestimating how much propane that would be needed. Being able to fill or buy a 20# on the road is probably the better way. It that is the cost of not needing to carry gas so be it!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than go to the expense of fitting 30# tanks on the trailer, why not just get another 20# for the generator?
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    My last trailer was a 2008 19' Aerolite, and it had two 30lb bottles. 30's seem to be more common on older trailers. It seems to me that it's just another way for the dealers to save a few pennies. Are there any other reasons? There is only a 32lb difference in weight for two full bottles. Maybe you can request your dealer to deliver it to you with the 30's.
    Dealers don't save any pennies...we don't install the tanks.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Dealers don't save any pennies...we don't install the tanks.
    So, what is (are) the reason(s)? I really liked having the extra capacity of the 30's.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExNihilo View Post
    Hello, a newbie here.

The 2600RB comes with 2 20# tanks. I was interested in possibly going to two 30# tanks; the reasoning was added capacity for running 2 honda EU22001 paralleled with propane conversions. Trips would generally be 3 days. Is it possible, is it a worthy consideration? Or am I just a newbie who has ventured a little too far off the trail?

Towing
    Any thoughts would be appreciated. I will be picking it up this week, so I figured I would throw it out there for modification before pick up if I can get credited for the original tanks.

Should it be relevant, I have a 1500 RAM with a 12000# tow rating with an r3 Recurve WD Hitch.

Thanks, and see ya out there!
    Towing rating is irrelevant. What is the payload capacity rating of your Ram 1500.

We changed out our 2 /20 lb tanks for 2/30 lbs one and added a third 30 lb one. ( the batteries are moved into the pass through next to the inverter/ Charger) . We have however a Ram 2500 with a payload capacity of 3300.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExNihilo View Post
    Thank you all for the replies. I may be overestimating how much propane that would be needed. Being able to fill or buy a 20# on the road is probably the better way. It that is the cost of not needing to carry gas so be it!
    Our Westinghouse 4500df comes set up a a duel fuel generator. It has a 3.5 gallon gas tank which gives about 18 hours of run time. The old 20 lb propane tank would last about 32 hours on half load. We primarily use propane and only use the gas in an emergency.

If you set up the Honda’s for propane do you still have the gas option available to you?
    Do you have both Honda’s running off one tank at the same time when usually them in tandem.
    I would run a propane tank through at some point to see what the hours capacity is .

All this complication and potential failure points and attention could be avoided by a 1 - Westinghouse like I have. Not to mention it’s way less than the price of one Honda + specialized soft start +conversion kits + multiple hoses and valves for propane. Seems like throwing good money just to compensate what other units have as standard.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    So, what is (are) the reason(s)? I really liked having the extra capacity of the 30's.
    It saves tongue weight for those that are at or near their max tongue weight.

Also, for the reasons mentioned previously, they are easy to swap if needed, versus filling.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS