User Tag List

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator water separator/fuel filter install

So the onan 5500 generator in my Momentum began to have long crank times to start it in Mammoth Ca at 7000 feet, surging was also present while running. Generator has 20 hours on it and I use Stabil in the fuel tank. My first thought was the fuel filter was plugged, maybe junk in the tank from manufacturing. Judging by the amount of sawdust and other stuff left behind by GD in all parts of the trailer fuel tank might have been a mess inside too. First the onan filter is very small so it would not take much to plug it. Second thought was fuel varnish in carb. I decided to add a fuel filter/water separator near the generator. Bought a filter head and filter on Amazon for $20, a primer bulb and 1/4 barb x 3/8 npt fittings and 3’ of 1/4 fuel line. The mount was made from a 4” piece of 2x2 angle bolted to the generator enclosure. Pretty easy mod took about an hour. The primer bulb is there to make sure the line from the tank is full because the generator is a long way from the tank. I also installed a filter on the tank with the fuel pump. That job was just a filter head a stainless 3/4 90. The filter is also a water separator both from Amazon. While I was at it it put a quality 15 foot hose on the pump. The one that comes with the trailer in about 4 feet long and not very Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8676D493-BB2F-4690-AA4F-86A91CF83834.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	988.3 KB 
ID:	31985Click image for larger version. 

Name:	47D19108-DD1A-405A-AFD5-64721BC58763.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	31986useful. So whatever the issue was it’s gone. Maybe the onan filter which I changed or the carb cleaner I shot into the carb. I also saw a YouTube video that said if you fill the oil to the top of the full line it will cause the issues I described. I drained some oil out so the level was halfway between full and add.
    Last edited by RSteele; 02-08-2021 at 06:42 PM.
    2019 Momentum 351m. 1200 watts solar, Victron Inverter/charger, Battery monitor, 150/100 solar charge controller, 3 170 ah Renogy LIPO batteries. 2017 Ram 3500 SRW SB wireless 1 airbags. Reese Gooseball, B&W turnover ball.