User Tag List

Thread: XLS 17MKE Bed

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

XLS 17MKE Bed

I'm considering the GD XLS 17MKE, but am unsure of sleeping on a Murphy bed vs. a conventional mattress. Is the mattress thick enough to provide adequate support and comfort through the night? I understand comfort is subjective, but I would be interested in owner experiences. I suspect swapping a different mattress may not be feasible with a MB design and still be able to fold it up out of the way.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitez28 View Post
    I'm considering the GD XLS 17MKE, but am unsure of sleeping on a Murphy bed vs. a conventional mattress. Is the mattress thick enough to provide adequate support and comfort through the night? I understand comfort is subjective, but I would be interested in owner experiences. I suspect swapping a different mattress may not be feasible with a MB design and still be able to fold it up out of the way.

Thanks.
    We had a murphy bed in our previous trailer (2019 239ML). We ended swapped it out with a folding memory foam mattress. Huge improvement and it folded into the same space.

If you're considering this route, you will want to confirm the space available.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W67PH2Q..._lEVhFbG01DZFE

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali HD
    2017 308BHTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that sounds like a good option if needed.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just bought a 21bhe and the murphy bed is laughable on how bad it is. It is like sleeping on a wood floor. It does have a bit of comfort to say you are not sleeping on a concrete floor. The even funnier thing is the Serta tag says it is the best night sleep ever. I have a 3 in mattress topper coming so hopefully my next trip out will be bliss.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested to know how the topper works out and where you ordered it from. Hope you're comfortable.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We added a 2.5" gel memory foam topper to our murphy bed mattress in our new 21bhe and it was a huge improvement. That said we do like a firm mattress but the without the topper it was too firm.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had our first couple nights with the temperpedic 3 inch topper and it was so much better. I wish it was 4 in; my side sleeping hip hit the mattress just barely. The topper removed most if not all the hot spots and made for a good nights rest. The memory foam is a tad warm feeling but the comfort outweighs the temp. issue. The bed folds up nicely with the topper, so no issues there.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought our first camper, the 2002 MKE17, in June 2020 specifically because of the murphy bed. Since it's just my wife and I we wanted the additional floor space and to not have to crawl over each other the to get in and out.

Short answer is if you like it firm it's great. It took me some getting used to because at home we have a pillow top mattress. We love the MKE17 but, I do see us upgrading the mattress at some point.

Longer answer it's got a serta mattress stock and we haven't upgraded. We immediately added a memory foam pad. We've had it out 5 times the longest being 8 nights just last week. After spending a week on the bed I can tell you to me, - the bed is firm. After the 8 nights in a row my wife just ordered a fitted mattress pad. If you like a firm bed it's good and you can definitely upgrade the mattress if its not to our liking.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just took our first trip out in our new 17MKE with a Murphy bed. We added a 2" egg crate topper and were pleasantly surprised at how well we slept. We preferred out own bedding over the manufacturer's bedspread, and I was also pleased to realize that our sheet set, a down comforter, and a quilt all folded up in the frame without a problem.
    Michele & Ivee, Hayden (son), Cocoa (princess canine)

2020 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2010 Jayco J-Series 1007

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jguzek View Post
    We had a murphy bed in our previous trailer (2019 239ML). We ended swapped it out with a folding memory foam mattress. Huge improvement and it folded into the same space.

If you're considering this route, you will want to confirm the space available.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W67PH2Q..._lEVhFbG01DZFE

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
    Just curious if you've found the memory foam mattress hot at night, especially if for example, the little misses in the camper was already feeling a bit solar at times? If so, have you found any good ways to help with that? Thanks!
    2021 17MKE in manufacturing - March 18th is the completion day! New to RV life.
    2021 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon (3.6L)