User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caulk pulling away from roof fittings

I have a 2021 2400BH that I took possession of in January. After getting 'home' (campsite) I went up on the roof to look around and noticed the caulk is pulling away from most/all of the roof fittings. I assume this is not normal and something I should fix ASAP. None of the caulk is loose per se, so I was just going to apply more on top of what's there. Is that right? I'm mildly concerned about the initial conditions that lead to the poor adhesion, especially where the crack is across the caulk line where the loop connected during application.

(Sorry for the noob questions. I'm very familiar with home maintenance, but this is my first RV.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210128_144143.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	31913

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It needs to be touched up. It is not standard caulk. Refer to your owners manual for the stuff you need or talk to your dealer. They ought to at least give you a tube.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool, will do. We're pretty far from the dealer at this point, but the consensus here seems to be Dicor Ultra and I can get it at the supply store.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisandtara View Post
    I have a 2021 2400BH that I took possession of in January. After getting 'home' (campsite) I went up on the roof to look around and noticed the caulk is pulling away from most/all of the roof fittings. I assume this is not normal and something I should fix ASAP. None of the caulk is loose per se, so I was just going to apply more on top of what's there. Is that right? I'm mildly concerned about the initial conditions that lead to the poor adhesion, especially where the crack is across the caulk line where the loop connected during application.

(Sorry for the noob questions. I'm very familiar with home maintenance, but this is my first RV.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210128_144143.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	31913
    Take note that if you are within 90 days of ownership that would be covered under warranty. Call Customer support and open a case. Take and send pictures as if it that prevalent they may be more understanding. I know because I found out the hard way I had a dealer appointment set up by the GD CS rep but didn't add it to the list until I dropped off the trailer. Also consider that the caulk will shrink, pucker and wrinkle as it cures and dries out.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had been planning to do this myself, it seems not worth the aggravation to involve GD and a dealer. I imagine I'll spend more time on hold than it'll take to actually fix the problem. Would GD just write me a check for the cost of the materials perhaps?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisandtara View Post
    I had been planning to do this myself, it seems not worth the aggravation to involve GD and a dealer. I imagine I'll spend more time on hold than it'll take to actually fix the problem. Would GD just write me a check for the cost of the materials perhaps?
    If that is the only place I understand your not wanting the aggravation. If prevalent maybe rethink it. If you first check with CS I'm sure they would reimburse. However if you tell them you would do it yourself and ask they will probably send you the correct caulk to use. They will probably ask how much you need.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent, thanks for the tip!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    Take note that if you are within 90 days of ownership that would be covered under warranty. Call Customer support and open a case. Take and send pictures as if it that prevalent they may be more understanding. I know because I found out the hard way I had a dealer appointment set up by the GD CS rep but didn't add it to the list until I dropped off the trailer. Also consider that the caulk will shrink, pucker and wrinkle as it cures and dries out.
    ^^ This^^^ Not sure if your PDI included the roof but, I would open a case with GD and make the mitigation myself to prevent any water intrusion and let GD know you are mitigating. If there is a future roof issue in that area, you can fall back to the original case you reported.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, you’ll probably want to check to see exactly what you have for roofing. My reflection 303 has a TPO roof. The manufacturer states that Dicor should not be used on this roof. This was also confirmed by Emily at Grand Design, in another post.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @chrisandtara - as others have mentioned do not use Dicor. Use the Alpha Systems self-leveling sealant.

Here is a link from https://www.campingworld.com/alpha-s...be-123407.html

Amazon sells it as well - Link
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast