User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EMS Questions and Install on the Momentum’s

Lots of research on ‘Day one Purchases’ and dang there are a lot. Anyways this question is for the EMS. I plan on going with the Hughes PWD50-EPO-H and install it myself. Not sure what the wiring looks like in the 353G but I assume its the same as the 350/320Gs. Few questions:

1) Anyone have pics of one installed?
    2) Anything I need to know before I order one?
    3) It goes between the outside 50amp plug and the transfer switch right?
    4) While I am doing this is there anything else I should upgrade in that area?

From my research the watchdog does everything I need it to except step up low voltage for that I would need an Autoformer. So if I am thinking correctly, in a low voltage situation the watchdog will trip and not let me use the bad power. If I am at a camp ground, without the autoformer, then I would have to run off the Genny or move campgrounds/power poles. Am I thinking correctly?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI, I have recently installed the same EMS. I suggest you buy a few feet of Romex 6-3 wire, in order to avoid having to cut the one coming from shore power to the ATS. I found that having a wire stripper for 6gauge wire made the install easier. You can also checkout the EMS install video of Changing Lanes, he installed a different EMS but the steps are similar.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, already watched changing lanes pretty easy install. Just curious where folks are putting them in the G-class haulers.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok install question: where??? Just did a walk thru of our new 353g and it’s super clean in the front box almost no wires! No thick 6 gauge ones anyways. Do I have to take off some panels in the basement to find where the plug and transfer switch are?
    2021 F350 6.7
    2021 Momentum 353G

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. I have a different Momentum than yours but getting to the ATS typically requires taking off one of those fake walls in the basement.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bigger question is how did he (Changing Lanes) run the control cable the first time. Easily the hardest part of the project.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep I am totally by passing the control panel with the Hughes Watch dog as it has a Bluetooth app.
    2021 F350 6.7
    2021 Momentum 353G

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LivyZoe View Post
    Yep I am totally by passing the control panel with the Hughes Watch dog as it has a Bluetooth app.
    Same here, that's one of the reasons why I chose the Hughes Watchdog

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also plan on using Victron controllers when I do a solar setup. Just haven’t decided if I need to yet. I have a 50w or 100w panel (can’t remember) left over from my boat solar build and all the associated wires and bits, a Victron controller and a Victron battery monitor that is Bluetooth so I can see the charge state of the battery. They only thing I would really use solar for is to keep the batteries maintained and maybe to get enough to run a heated dehumidifier while it’s parked for the winter (I use one on my boat).

Anyone know of something that will translate Bluetooth signals to cellular? I would love to see the state of my batteries from anywhere or see the EMS too. I was thinking of setting up an old iPad with cellular that I could remote into. I can get cellular for my iPad for 10 bucks a month, write some sort of script that pulls the info and just sends it to me. Somebody probably has that figured out though. I would love to be able to check up on the RV when it’s in storage or we are not at the site.
    2021 F350 6.7
    2021 Momentum 353G

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed the Watch Dog in my 351M and it was a pretty simple task. It spliced right in line so no added wiring was needed. If you use a small Honda generator, you will need to by the ground plug for the Honda or else the Watch Dog see's it as an open ground and will not let the power flow. The Honda has what they call a ''floating ground''. Just FYI.
    2020 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
    2018 351M Momentum Toy Hauler
    2015 Can Am Turbo Maverick - sold
    2019 Can Am X3 XRS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast