User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sumo spring vs road master

Wondering if anybody out there has any experience with sumo springs and or shocks? I’m wanting to put one or the other on my 311 BHS the spring and I’m trying to figure out which one would be the best route to go because they are about the same price. I currently have the CRE4000 and I’m trying to do whatever I can to make things a bit smoother.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matt, Trish, Conner & Ethan
    2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There have been a number of discussions about this. Using the search function and entering either sumo or shock or shocks will produce some of those theres.

Here is one such example....

I've got a set of Sumo Springs on order and should get them in early next week.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    There have been a number of discussions about this. Using the search function and entering either sumo or shock or shocks will produce some of those theres.

Here is one such example....

I've got a set of Sumo Springs on order and should get them in early next week.
    Thanks. I would like to know what you think of them what you get them on if you don’t mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Matt, Trish, Conner & Ethan
    2022 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 Ram 3500 Laramie
    Both Retired USAF

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems like the Sumo or Timbrens might offer a somewhat harsher ride as compared to air bags. There's a gap between Sumo and Timbrens and first contact. That means that it's not until the suspension compresses that either one of the two are in contact. So there would be some jarring or harshness when this happens. Big Truck Rv's YouTube channel demonstrated this. So if you're driving around unloaded with the Sumos or Timbrens out of contact, then hit a bump or dip that causes the suspension to compress, you might feel some jarring or harshness.

Air bags OTOH are in constant contact during their entire travel. There is no gap, so there should not be a harsh transition between loaded and unloaded. You can vary the air pressure in the air bags which would alter the rebound rate.

What would be interesting is to pair Sulastics with air bags. That would seem to be the ideal combination.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjlebsa View Post
    Thanks. I would like to know what you think of them what you get them on if you don’t mind
    For sure! I'll be running from Central FL up to Brunswick, GA on I-95 the first of February. We been on the road a lot. So I am looking forward to what, if any, difference there is (and hoping for a bit less 'bound' in the RV). Keep your fingers crossed.....

Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    It seems like the Sumo or Timbrens might offer a somewhat harsher ride as compared to air bags. There's a gap between Sumo and Timbrens and first contact. That means that it's not until the suspension compresses that either one of the two are in contact. So there would be some jarring or harshness when this happens. Big Truck Rv's YouTube channel demonstrated this. So if you're driving around unloaded with the Sumos or Timbrens out of contact, then hit a bump or dip that causes the suspension to compress, you might feel some jarring or harshness.

Air bags OTOH are in constant contact during their entire travel. There is no gap, so there should not be a harsh transition between loaded and unloaded. You can vary the air pressure in the air bags which would alter the rebound rate.

What would be interesting is to pair Sulastics with air bags. That would seem to be the ideal combination.
    Did BTBRV have the Sumos on a truck or on a fifth wheel? From what I see and the way the Sumo installation instructions read the "spring" get pre-loaded upon installation. So until there is a good bounce they should be in contact with the frame. Time will tell.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If there is a gap they were not correctly installed as per the instructions. Installation of the RV trailer models are different than truck suspension types. They come with two spacers and two sets of bolts to insure positive contact. When sitting on the ground the Sumos should be preloaded. There is no jarring or harshness imparted to the ride, quite the contrary. The construction of the foam used is engineered as an absorption medium as well.
    Powerscol in doing modifications raised his frame and went to Supersprings with his problem. They provided additional spacers and longer bolts to install properly.
    My experience with over 1300 miles on them is I'm happy with the results. IT was money well spent for an easy quick solution. Ride and especially handling is a profound difference. Stability around curves is greatly increased. The best thing is they are completely passive, no need to adjust or fuss after installation.
    Last edited by Wicked ace; 01-20-2021 at 03:14 PM.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ordered mine a few days ago after some advice from Powerscol and waiting on delivery. I'm in place until late March or early April so won't be able to report results for awhile. I'm not especially mechanical so this should be interesting.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fast forward to 10:00 on this video. You can clearly see that the Timbrens are not in contact with the axle as the vehicle is going down the road.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exjUpKA6OJ8

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked ace View Post
    If there is a gap they were not correctly installed as per the instructions. Installation of the RV trailer models are different than truck suspension types. They come with two spacers and two sets of bolts to insure positive contact. When sitting on the ground the Sumos should be preloaded. There is no jarring or harshness imparted to the ride, quite the contrary. The construction of the foam used is engineered as an absorption medium as well.
    Powerscol in doing modifications raised his frame and went to Supersprings with his problem. They provided additional spacers and longer bolts to install properly.
    My experience with over 1300 miles on them is I'm happy with the results. IT was money well spent for an easy quick solution. Ride and especially handling is a profound difference. Stability around curves is greatly increased. The best thing is they are completely passive, no need to adjust or fuss after installation.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fast forward to 10:00 on this video. You can clearly see that the Timbrens are not in contact with the axle as the vehicle is going down the road.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exjUpKA6OJ8
    Sorry The Lexx but that video is about install on a truck. Wicked Ace is talking about install on a Trailer.
    2013 Ford Eco Boost CC ( previous)
    2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Reflection 297 RSTS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papermakermd View Post
    Sorry The Lexx but that video is about install on a truck. Wicked Ace is talking about install on a Trailer.
    What would be the difference? Isn't the principle the same? I'm interested because I'm debating whether to install Sumo/Timbrens vs Roadmaster Slipper Springs and Shocks vs Independent Suspension such as Dexter Torflex or Timbrens IS on my trailer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast