Quote Originally Posted by timsos View Post
I recently put my travel trailer on the market. Had a text from a buyer that said he’d take it. I asked him if he wanted to see it, he said no and he didn’t negotiate. So I blew it off, he text again asked where to send the check. I sent him address of a camp site I use. So the check I can track through usps. I told the buyer that I wasn’t releasing title until the check cleared the bank. Which may be three to four weeks. I know this is a scam but what are they trying to get out of this?
Just my 2cents worth.

If they don't want to see the trailer it is probably a phishing expedition to see if they can get your personal information.

When we sold our Jayco a few years ago the buyers came to our storage lot and looked over the trailer. They wanted the trailer and really were very nice folks but I still insisted on cash.

Several years ago (early 2011) I had my identity stolen and they were able to get my credit card numbers, drivers license number, social security number. Using that information they were able to get several "speedy cash" loans for $5,000. The person was caught and was sentenced last week (Feb 3, 2021) to 1yr 3 months in jail and 300 hours of community service. NO RESTITUTION TO US. I had to fly from Texas to Ohio for his court case - which came out of my pocket. The sad thing is that he was being scammed by a website that was promising him a girlfriend from India if he would just send $3,000.00 to pay for her airfare and paper to come to the USA. If I remember correctly he stole the identify of 6-7 people with 2 "speedy cash" loans each. He sent over $20,000 to get this girl to the USA. She never did show up.

Good advise on this post, but use your gut feeling. If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. If it was me I'd insist that he come look at the trailer. You can say something like "since it's used we need to document all of the defects that we agree on and attach it to the bill of sale and title. If he's legit he should be okay with that, if he says that it's not important to him you can bet it's a scam.