User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    May in the mountains of Colorado is iffy. June is better but can still be cool at night. Southern part is warmer. Look at Pagosa Springs and its hot springs as well as Durango (Mesa Verde). If you do not swing south into New Mexico you will have to go over Wolf Creek Pass, it is beautiful but it is a climb. Down hill, gear down and take your time.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    May in the mountains of Colorado is iffy. June is better but can still be cool at night. Southern part is warmer. Look at Pagosa Springs and its hot springs as well as Durango (Mesa Verde). If you do not swing south into New Mexico you will have to go over Wolf Creek Pass, it is beautiful but it is a climb. Down hill, gear down and take your time.
    thank you,we will wait until June .
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Chevrolet 2500 hd,Duramax-Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be prepared, you can still get snow in the mountains here in June. I agree with staying off of I70 but if you have to travel it be super careful as you exit the Eisenhower tunnel system. The weather can change significantly from one side of the tunnel to the other. Also, the down grade side is steep and windy so down shift and take it slow. Last time I made the trip out west from Denver there was quite a bit of construction on I-70 in different areas so be prepared for it to take some time. I would recommend camping somewhere in the middle. It can get difficult to book camping here during the summer so you may want to plan ahead a bit. Have fun and enjoy the scenery.
    Chuck & Robin, LuLu and Georgie
    Highlands Ranch, CO
    2019 2670MK
    5.7 Toyota Tundra TRD with Towing Package
    TRD sway bar & Firestone air bags

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpypapa View Post
    @Driving Colorado,,Is hwy #160 west user friendly going from Walsenburg on hwy #85 south.
    A whole lot better than the I-70 corridor, Rather than cringing at the idiots driving around you , you can actually take the time to see things. Plenty of places to stop and do things. South fork and west is beautiful and you can take side trips from there. If you fish these are the best waters in the State. Skip Denver ans see the real Colorado. To me 160 is actually easier to drive than I-70. Easier grades, less traffic and folks are friendly.

Be safe. You can PM me if you need further details.
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thoughts would be to stay somewhere around Gunnison. That satisfies the "not too far north" part and puts you pretty much in the center of a huge percentage of many great attractions and beautiful places to visit once camp is set up. A few places for camp might be Hotchkiss, Paonia, Crested Butte and even Lake City. Those would put you sort of equi-distant from Colo. Springs, Grand Junction, Cortez, Pueblo and Alamosa with great scenic drives to each one.
    those who say "I can't", will always be right

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12