Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camping in the rocky mtns of Colorado .

We are looking at going to Colorado and Utah when we get back to normal.Are we better to
    just drive thru the mountains,from Denver to Grand Junction ,set up camp and site see the
    areas between Denver and Grand Junction or to camp part way thru and check it out,We are
    not going very far north of Hwy 70,because I want to see the Cortez and Pueblo areas.
    2016 Reflection 303 rls
    Chevrolet 2500 hd,Duramax-Allison

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpypapa View Post
    We are looking at going to Colorado and Utah when we get back to normal.Are we better to
    just drive thru the mountains,from Denver to Grand Junction ,set up camp and site see the
    areas between Denver and Grand Junction or to camp part way thru and check it out,We are
    not going very far north of Hwy 70,because I want to see the Cortez and Pueblo areas.
    I live just northwest of Denver. One thing to keep in mind is that Denver is 5 hours away from Grand Junction, in normal traffic when not pulling a camper. With that being said, I would camp along the way so you don't have to backtrack.
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When are you going? It is really cold and snowy now.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would skip Denver and the I 70 corridor all together. At Limon grab 24 west to Colorado Springs. Stay on 24 to junction with 285 at Buena Vista. Take 285 south to US 160 then west to Durango and on to Cortez, Much better scenery and lots of places to camp and things to see. All roads are good.

Or
    See Pueblo first and grab 50 west. Still all good

On edit 160 out of Walsenburg is also good.
    Last edited by powerscol; 02-10-2021 at 10:11 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    I would skip Denver and the I 70 corridor all together. At Limon grab 24 west to Colorado Springs. Stay on 24 to junction with 285 at Buena Vista. Take 285 south to US 50 then west to Durango and on to Cortez, Much better scenery and lots of places to camp and things to see. All roads are good.

Or
    WINNER ,WINNER! If I didn't live here, I'd avoid it too!
    2019 2800bh
    2018 Silverado 1500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    I would skip Denver and the I 70 corridor all together. At Limon grab 24 west to Colorado Springs. Stay on 24 to junction with 285 at Buena Vista. Take 285 south to US 50 then west to Durango and on to Cortez, Much better scenery and lots of places to camp and things to see. All roads are good.

Or
    Ok,thank you,good to know,I have never been to colorado ,sure want to see some of it.The question then is why stay away from hwy 70.I respect any travel help I get,I have never driven in mtns like you have there.We are hoping sometime in may, then we want to
    check out some of south utah in June.
    I do respect the help in planning ,I have never drove thru mtns. of the size you have there.
    2016 Reflection 303 rls

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Driving Colorado,,Is hwy #160 west user friendly going from Walsenburg on hwy #85 south.
    2016 Reflection 303 rls

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Driving Colorado,,Is hwy #160 west user friendly going from Walsenburg on hwy #85 south.
    If you mean I 25 south (85/87) than yes 160 it is also a very good road with climbing lanes and plenty of places to stop, Every town has good fuel or gas. Truckers use this all the time to stay away form the I-70 corridor. Also Wolf Creek pass is beautiful to drive over, just take it slow on the down grade. Just play this as you drive over. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ExtxpQmBQhTvK-
    Last edited by powerscol; 02-10-2021 at 11:26 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A whole lot better than the I-70 corridor, Rather than cringing at the idiots driving around you , you can actually take the time to see things. Plenty of places to stop and do things. South fork and west is beautiful and you can take side trips from there. If you fish these are the best waters in the State. Skip Denver ans see the real Colorado. To me 160 is actually easier to drive than I-70. Easier grades, less traffic and folks are friendly.

Be safe. You can PM me if you need further details.
    Keith

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend getting a copy of the Mountain Directory:

https://www.mountaindirectory.com/

I have both the East and West editions (PC version on my laptop) - but you would probably only need the West edition. It gives you all the information on grades as well as bridge, weight, and height limitations. It has really helped me make decisions on routes. I'll also sometimes use Google Street View to look at roads if I have concerns (ever meet an acrophobic pilot?).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast