User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F450 owners...any regrets?

Hey guys and gals, upgrading my RV and going to a large 5th wheel and looking to move away from my 2500HD. I was set on a SRW 3500 but I’ve been looking at the F450s a lot. Any F450 owners regret purchasing one for just normal everyday driving, not towing. Of course under tow they are most likely fantastic but just looking for a opinion on living with one for non towing. I’m not full time and 90% of my driving is not towing but want that dually for towing as we travel thousands of miles every year in the RV.

Thanks

Chad
    2021 GMC 3500HD
    2021 Montana High Country 385BR
    2018 GMC 2500 HD (Traded in)
    2019 GD312BHTS (written off by fallen tree RIP)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chad,
    We picked up our new Momentum 320G in Nov and bought a 2019 F-450 Lariat at end of Dec. The 450 is awesome. Cannot beat the turning radius on it and can tow just about anything. The turning radius is one of the deciding factors for us. We looked at the 350's (DRW) as well but the 450 has a tighter turning radius which is a benefit for us.
    We have been using the 450 as a daily ride while our F-150 is getting some work done.
    My input - the ride is stiff (suspension wise) as it was made to be. Not very forgiving with bumps. I have no other issues with it for a daily ride. We do 70 on the interstates unless we are towing. We have been getting about 15 mpg as an avg for daily driving. Towing obviously less! Truck handles great, stable, comfortable and solid. Parking can sometimes be challenging as if you have the nose of the truck even with the parking line the rear can be over. Happens with the long bed but we park out far enough where we have no problems if we hang over a bit in the rear and does not interfere with other cars parking. My wife drives it as well and has no problems. I am sure others that use it as daily ride (longer) can give better input.
    Good luck with your decision!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With any long bed truck back it in when parking. That will make it easier to get the truck straight without having to jockey it back and forth too much. Thatalso makes it easier getting out of the parking space.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad1383 View Post
    Hey guys and gals, upgrading my RV and going to a large 5th wheel and looking to move away from my 2500HD. I was set on a SRW 3500 but I’ve been looking at the F450s a lot. Any F450 owners regret purchasing one for just normal everyday driving, not towing. Of course under tow they are most likely fantastic but just looking for a opinion on living with one for non towing. I’m not full time and 90% of my driving is not towing but want that dually for towing as we travel thousands of miles every year in the RV.

Thanks

Chad
    No regrets whatsoever. But you will find a hard time balancing out the 19 and 1/2 half commercial tires. The best setup I have found so far in 5 years of ownership is the Cooper roadmaster tires and hub centric balancers, and have the tire shop balance the wheels to. Mine's a daily driver as well as regular tower. You will love the way that it can handle U turns and sharp corners backing in. And the peace of mind having heavier duty breaks and running gear underneath you. And smoother ride when empty because it has a different Spring package than the standard F350.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reached out via text tonight to my Ford sales guy and his response was quite odd as I’ve never heard this before.

“Ford Canada has told all the dealers that super duty allotments are full” which according to him means they won’t allow me to order a 2021 F450. That’s a first for me, he’s gonna call me tomorrow but he’s pretty sure I can’t order one till 2022 models are out.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like any long bed, the F450 can be difficult to find parking for in an urban area. We normally just don't take it when we visit the big cities unless they have outdoor parking lots. Otherwise the only other big drawback is the ride can be fairly harsh on bad pavement. I'm going to swap out the worthless OEM fake Rancho shocks for Fox or King shocks and also install Sulastics. Hopefully that will soften up the ride. Also the oem Continental tires are not the greatest. I would consider swapping them out for 19.5" Toyo all terrains instead.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reached out via text tonight to my Ford sales guy and his response was quite odd as I’ve never heard this before.

“Ford Canada has told all the dealers that super duty allotments are full” which according to him means they won’t allow me to order a 2021 F450. That’s a first for me, he’s gonna call me tomorrow but he’s pretty sure I can’t order one till 2022 models are out.
    This sounds aboit right. There's a production scheduled floating around the internet and I think this is accurate.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll chime in on the F450. I've had mine a year now and it still makes me smile every time I drive it, especially every time I tow with it. I have no problem running around town in it, just park out a ways as others have said. Guess I got lucky on the Continentals because they are very smooth on good roads, on rough roads you have to remember it's a heavy duty truck and will hit the bumps hard. I've found that letting 10-15 psi out of the rear tires really smooths it out. My two favorite things are the turning radius and the 4:30 gears. Combined I'm at 26K pounds and it will accelerate up an on ramp like I'm towing a little pop up camper. You will not be sorry you got the 450 it's just getting one that's tough, this semi conductor shortage is hitting the auto industry hard right now. Good luck!
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told the same thing for new 450's (US). Dealers put in their 450 needs/wants and they get one or two if lucky. I was told there was an allotment on new 450's for dealers. Not sure why. Maybe higher demand for other models?
    We looked for months to find a good used 450 with options we wanted. We were prepared to take a road trip to pick it up as well. Lucked out and finally found one 70 miles away but dealer had others that were very interested in it as well. Visited the dealer that day and drove home with it!
    Good Luck.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Chad
    The 450 was my first dually and second diesel. I traded my Ram 3500 SRW before getting into my current 5vr. No regrets. Took me some gettin used to since it was my first dually. The truck rides good empty but if you add a little weight in the bed, it smooths out. And yes, a rough road will make for a rough ride. It wont fit into most drive thru but that isn't a bad since I always try and park the farthest from the building anyway. The turning radius makes for outstanding maneuvering in parking lots.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast