User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Venting the mattress frame

Having dealt with condensation under rv and boat mattresses in the past, i’ve tried many of the products and tricks to eliminate it. But this new trailer having a mattress base and frame, allowed me a chance to build a frame just like home. The Slat spacing allows full venting. It added about 20 lbs over the factory plywood, and the lift struts still work with the, also new, Sleepys Plush 10.5” mattress. Lastly im a storage hound, and opened the forward area under the bed, via two wide slots.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AD99849A-2FAD-4396-B0E5-28C124B3B8EA.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	39366

Name:	54AFEE97-CA9B-4B3C-A0CB-A0C489A63177.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	39367

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tckhan View Post
    Having dealt with condensation under rv and boat mattresses in the past, i’ve tried many of the products and tricks to eliminate it. But this new trailer having a mattress base and frame, allowed me a chance to build a frame just like home. The Slat spacing allows full venting. It added about 20 lbs over the factory plywood, and the lift struts still work with the, also new, Sleepys Plush 10.5” mattress. Lastly im a storage hound, and opened the forward area under the bed, via two wide slots.

Name:	AD99849A-2FAD-4396-B0E5-28C124B3B8EA.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	39366

Name:	54AFEE97-CA9B-4B3C-A0CB-A0C489A63177.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	39367
    Nice work! I'm thinking this is on my to-do project list! I was looking at the fiber mat but...

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You actually don't need to be open to the storage box. You just need to have some cross-flow. Putting slats atop the plywood deck in the same orientation will do the trick, or you can buy foundation drain board, either geonet style or cuspated and lay it on the deck and put the mattress on it. Because I manufacture both styles, it's what we use and works great. The advantage is that it make it easy to pull the Purple mattress out of the slide box to put a fitted sheet on it!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Foundation drain board

Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    You actually don't need to be open to the storage box. You just need to have some cross-flow. Putting slats atop the plywood deck in the same orientation will do the trick, or you can buy foundation drain board, either geonet style or cuspated and lay it on the deck and put the mattress on it. Because I manufacture both styles, it's what we use and works great. The advantage is that it make it easy to pull the Purple mattress out of the slide box to put a fitted sheet on it!
    OK, I'll bite...can you provide more info on foundation drain boards? I tried googling "geonet" and "cuspated" and "mattress drain board" and none of these things are really helping. Thanks!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sukist View Post
    OK, I'll bite...can you provide more info on foundation drain boards? I tried googling "geonet" and "cuspated" and "mattress drain board" and none of these things are really helping. Thanks!
    Did you happen to look at the images with the searching? Search geonet and look at the images and there should be hundreds. The drainboard can be tricky if you don't know the jargon. This is a cuspated style:
    https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-q5y4...0.1280.jpg?c=2

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Did you happen to look at the images with the searching? Search geonet and look at the images and there should be hundreds. The drainboard can be tricky if you don't know the jargon. This is a cuspated style:
    https://cdn10.bigcommerce.com/s-q5y4...0.1280.jpg?c=2
    So the mattress doesn't conform to all the spaces in that foundation board? I too, was wondering what was meant by foundation board, but after seeing the pic, I assume it's designed for building foundations, so likely available from the the big box hardware stores?
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    So the mattress doesn't conform to all the spaces in that foundation board? I too, was wondering what was meant by foundation board, but after seeing the pic, I assume it's designed for building foundations, so likely available from the the big box hardware stores?
    Lol. Yeah, it is a drain board used in keeping basements dry. These are very versatile materials used in applications all around but most would never know. The same principle as to why someone can lay on a bed of nails is how these materials spread load across the high points. Keep in mind, these are used in applications where soil pressure reaches hundreds of pounds per square foot. A mattress and sleepers are nothing. I can tell you that the products I manufacture can be found at any real contractors' supply. Big box stores may or may not depending on area and demand.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Dri-Deck plastic 12x12" interlocking panels. Got them off ebay so obviously didn't pay the price in this listing but I just did a quick search to show them
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/dri-d...22?recordNum=3