Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question for 351M/381M & 397TH owners

We are looking at a couple of different units - the 351M/381M and the 397TH (wife likes the 2nd shower idea and the larger passthrough is a big plus). Have a couple of initial questions:

Refrigerator - is any part of the refrigerator accessible when slides are in on these units? If not, can you move just the kitchen slide to gain accessibility? For those with the residential fridge option... we were told it would run on 12v when not on shore power (of the inverter). True? And if so... what is the typical run-time given your battery setup?

351M/381M passthrough storage - seems very small, especially compared to our Reflection. Anyone use a pull-out system in that space (shelf on rollers; forget who makes LCI or Morryde maybe)?

Double vs Triple axles - We live off of a very narrow road with deep culverts on each side. My dually and another car can pass... but barely. I can get my 35ft Reflection in today (can only drive in from one direction, and must back out the same way- trailer wheels run over a tad bit of dirt on corner of drive). I will be widening the driveway at the street to accommodate our eventual new unit... but will still be a fairly tight turn. Am I looking for issues with a triple axle (43ft+ unit) with this kind of tight turn?

Thanks in advance.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have any of the above trailers but I do have a triple axle 385TH (similar to 397.)

First off, remember the Momentums are 6" (or more) wider than the Reflections, so be sure to account for that in you driveway/access calculations.

The triple axle will resist turning a bit more than a tandem axle unit so it will require a bit more space to turn (if forced too much I can see suspension damage occurring if the ground surface doesn't allow the tires to slip/scrub sideways quite a bit.)
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    351M owner here:

No, you cannot get in to the refrigerator with the slides in. There is a valve in the propane compartment that will allow you isolate the slides so you only have to open one if you in a tight spot.

You can access bathroom with no problem.

Passthrough isn't that big, you're right. However, I plan on getting rid of the angled wall and squaring it off to give more space. When I have that done, I plan on adding a Morryde slide out tray. Right now from the curb side I can fit a firepit, Blackstone 22" with the lid and stand, 6 camping chairs, outdoor rug, and hanging from the top, broom, Swiffer, and room for a few other things that are similar in nature. On the street side, it's very narrow, so I have stackable containers that contain misc. parts, gloves, rags, and hose fittings.

As far as your road, hard to say. You're really the only person who knows that answer or maybe someone who has experience with the road.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother_Bluto View Post
    We are looking at a couple of different units - the 351M/381M and the 397TH (wife likes the 2nd shower idea and the larger passthrough is a big plus). Have a couple of initial questions:

Refrigerator - is any part of the refrigerator accessible when slides are in on these units? If not, can you move just the kitchen slide to gain accessibility? For those with the residential fridge option... we were told it would run on 12v when not on shore power (of the inverter). True? And if so... what is the typical run-time given your battery setup?

351M/381M passthrough storage - seems very small, especially compared to our Reflection. Anyone use a pull-out system in that space (shelf on rollers; forget who makes LCI or Morryde maybe)?

Double vs Triple axles - We live off of a very narrow road with deep culverts on each side. My dually and another car can pass... but barely. I can get my 35ft Reflection in today (can only drive in from one direction, and must back out the same way- trailer wheels run over a tad bit of dirt on corner of drive). I will be widening the driveway at the street to accommodate our eventual new unit... but will still be a fairly tight turn. Am I looking for issues with a triple axle (43ft+ unit) with this kind of tight turn?

Thanks in advance.
    No residential fridge here but my previous 5vr had one but it ran 110v through the inverter but I have no idea how long it would have lasted. I did the wall push back on our pass thru and gained more space and use collapsible crates to hold stuff in place. As for the street, we live on a small road with culverts and I have to back in no matter what. I start my push back turn with the trailer tires going into the grass and as soon as they hit the concrete driveway, I crank it hard to nearly 90 degrees to start backing into my driveway. This keeps the front end from swinging out too far and getting into the culvert in front of the neighbors house. My future project is to widen the "funnel" of the driveway approach by at least 4' on one side OR make a circular drive so I can pull in, then back up. This should prevent the sharp backing and no front tires in the ditch opposite the driveway. I do not know the width of the approach but my drive is 12' wide. If you end up with the triple axle, you will definitely need to widen the approach since the rear wheels will trail off to the side more.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get one frig door open with the slides in and the whole freezer. If you boondock the residential frig is not a good option. You will need a large battery bank and run the genny often
    2007 Volvo 780 VNL Trailersaver Hitch
    2017 Momentum 397th
    2015 Polaris RZR 900S Voodoo Blue
    2017 Polaris RZR S1000 Matte Black
    2019 Polaris RZR S1000 Titanium Matte
    3 Yamaha Banshee's 2-Honda 400 EX's
    Honda 250EX 2016 Polaris Outlaw 110 EFI

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never pulled a double axle rig. Our 374TH-R Solitude is a triple axle rig. It tracks like a simi trailer. At an intersection turning right; I need to be on the line or a little bit to the left of it. I will need most of the lane to the left of the one I am headed to.

Pulling into a pull-thru rv spot that is maybe a 70 degrees lane, I will clip the inside grass or whatever is there for about 4 ft if I don't have extra swing room on the opposite side. Triples take forever to come-around, but they seem to ride smoother.

What type of camping are you going to do?
    The residential frig is great. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks All!

I'm definitely sold on the residential refrigerator and will be glad not to have to deal with the gas absorption models in our next purchase. I see in another post where someone mentioned they added the factory solar panel & 2K inverter - something to think about when we place our order.

Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    First off, remember the Momentums are 6" (or more) wider than the Reflections, so be sure to account for that in you driveway/access calculations.

The triple axle will resist turning a bit more than a tandem axle unit so it will require a bit more space to turn (if forced too much I can see suspension damage occurring if the ground surface doesn't allow the tires to slip/scrub sideways quite a bit.)
    Yup, I think we'd be pushing it with a triple (and the extra length) given our current road/drive. Likely will stick with a 351M.

Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Passthrough isn't that big, you're right. However, I plan on getting rid of the angled wall and squaring it off to give more space. When I have that done, I plan on adding a Morryde slide out tray. Right now from the curb side I can fit a firepit, Blackstone 22" with the lid and stand, 6 camping chairs, outdoor rug, and hanging from the top, broom, Swiffer, and room for a few other things that are similar in nature. On the street side, it's very narrow, so I have stackable containers that contain misc. parts, gloves, rags, and hose fittings.
    Sounds like you have given the storage area some thought. I'd likely follow your lead on that mod.

Quote Originally Posted by tamrick View Post
    As for the street, we live on a small road with culverts and I have to back in no matter what. I start my push back turn with the trailer tires going into the grass and as soon as they hit the concrete driveway, I crank it hard to nearly 90 degrees to start backing into my driveway. This keeps the front end from swinging out too far and getting into the culvert in front of the neighbors house. My future project is to widen the "funnel" of the driveway approach by at least 4' on one side OR make a circular drive so I can pull in, then back up. This should prevent the sharp backing and no front tires in the ditch opposite the driveway. I do not know the width of the approach but my drive is 12' wide. If you end up with the triple axle, you will definitely need to widen the approach since the rear wheels will trail off to the side more.
    Your situation sounds similar to mine. My road measures 18ft across in front of the driveway and narrows a bit past our drive. The apron of the drive is 24ft, but funnels down over the culvert to the 12ft driveway. Our Reflection routinely crosses over the the dirt mount between the drive/street that falls off to the culvert. Going to a momentum, I'd want to widen the apron/culvert span by 4-5ft... but can't do anything about the road width. Given we have a brick mailbox on one side of the entrace... I'm stuck pulling in coming from one side and backing out the same way I came in.

Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    What type of camping are you going to do?
    Well, both my wife and I grew up in a truck & camper, backpacking & tenting all across the PNW, Canada & Alaska for a few years. We have two young children (6 & 2.5) and now live in TN. My backpacking days are long gone, and wife is done tent camping. I would have loved to have had an RV when I was fishing the mouth of the CR every fall (instead of the tent or back of truck)! The kids starting to outgrow the Reflection 28BH bunkhouse, a second bathroom would be huge and want to use the garage for a bunkhouse and ability to bring various kid stuff now and likely power toys as they grow into (wife & I used to ATV/SxS before they came along). Our main goal is to just get the kids out and see different areas of the region and beyond and have a home base to explore. Likely some long-haul trips as well back to Oregon, Colorado, etc. in the next couple of years.
    Last edited by Brother_Bluto; 02-11-2021 at 08:09 PM.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you are narrowing down your choice.

I'll hold the fort down out here in Oregon. Headed to Neskowin RV Resort ( north of Lincoln City ) Saturday for a week of peace.

Safe travels, KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbiker View Post
    Sounds like you are narrowing down your choice.

I'll hold the fort down out here in Oregon. Headed to Neskowin RV Resort ( north of Lincoln City ) Saturday for a week of peace.

Safe travels, KEN
    I'm jealous and know the area well. So many great areas in the PNW. Enjoy!
    2022 Momentum 351M-R

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the residential fridge and longest trip was 12 hrs. with no change to fridge or freezer temps. Cannot get to fridge on the 351 without opening the slide.
    2021 351MR
    2017 Jayco 377rlbh (sold)