Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Washer/Dryer Recommendations, Lessons Learned, etc

My better half wants a washer and dryer installed in the 315RLTS we're contemplating purchasing. When I searched for "washer dryer" using the forum's Advanced Search feature there were hundreds of threads, but none appeared to target the info I'm seeking. (If it's already here, forgive me in advance!)

So here's my questions:
    Combo or separate units? And why?

What brand/models do you recommend, and why?

Are there features that were a "must have" when you went shopping for your washer & dryer? (I am not assuming the small RV units are identical to the household units we are all familiar with.)

Did you buy from the dealer or somewhere else like a website (Camping World's)?

Did you have it installed or did you do it yourself?

Any "lessons learned" based on your experience related to having a washer & dryer in your RV?

TIA!

-Howard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some information you might find helpful at http://www.momentumgunner.com/rvappliances.html

I recommend separate units, including a vented dryer.

The ventless dryers are usually called "condensing dryers". They use cold water while drying your clothes. They operate by heating the air in the inner section of the drum, creating steam. This passes through holes in the inner drum to the outer drum. Cold water is passed over the outer surface of the drum, causing the water vapor inside to condense on the walls. It's collected and pumped out. You will generally find that vented dryers offer better performance, especially if you are in a more humid climate. Most people feel that their clothes never really get fully dry in condensing dryers, and the water they use while drying may be a factor - especially if you are boondocking.

We tried a couple for Pinnacle and they lasted just over 2 years. Looking at Ariston now and they seem much better from first impressions. Some of the explanation details are in the article.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <<Combo or separate units? And why?>>
    Separate for me and the reason was explained above.

<<What brand/models do you recommend, and why?>>
    I got an LG washer because I love our LG washer at home. The RV sized unit is just a mini version of that and very well built. We got a GE dryer but I don't recall why I chose it. I would have bought an LG dryer if they made one in RV sizes.

<<Are there features that were a "must have" when you went shopping for your washer & dryer?>>
    Nope

<<Did you buy from the dealer or somewhere else like a website (Camping World's)? >>
    Purchased from Lowes

<<Did you have it installed or did you do it yourself?>>
    I drove the RV to Lowes where we purchased the units and they hauled them into the rig after I removed the bedroom door. Worked great! I was worried about how I would do this myself but having Lowes do it solved that problem - and it was free!

<<Any "lessons learned" based on your experience related to having a washer & dryer in your RV?>>
    We wouldn't own an RV without a washer and dryer for the same reason we wouldn't own one without auto-leveling jacks - because they are both SUPER convenient!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RamGunner View Post
    I have some information you might find helpful at http://www.momentumgunner.com/rvappliances.html
    RamGunner--thank you!

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    We wouldn't own an RV without a washer and dryer for the same reason we wouldn't own one without auto-leveling jacks - because they are both SUPER convenient!
    Wish this was an option on the 315RLTS. Just discussed this with the wife today saying something to the effect, "Just watch--they'll have the auto-level system as an option or standard on the 2019 version after we buy ours." <sigh> (Thanks for the great info on the washer & dryer!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have had my Splendide by Ariston separates for 3 years and can't imagine life without them. They work just as well as my w/d at home. Loads are a little smaller but I can wash an entire set of king sheets at one time or about 6 bath towels. The dryer dries quickly-of course vented. We purchased ours at CW but I know a lot of other folks have bought Whirlpool and other brands also that work well. I hate the laundromat!!
    Allen and Sandi-Lexington, KY
    Home of fast horses and beautiful women!
    2015 Chevrolet Duramax 4 x 4 3500 HD LTZ
    2014 Solitude 369 RL-Oct. 2014
    2016 Momentum 376 TH-April 2016

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the Splendide 2100X combo/vented unit. Purchased at CW, surprisingly it was the lowest price I could find. I did the install myself and had to do custom vent ducting through the floor and out the vertical portion of the underbelly. We didn't have an option for separate units unless we stacked them or took up more floor space in the garage. Yes, loads are smaller, but it's nice to set the wash cycle and when it's done it switches to dryer mode. It's convenient to set a load before leaving for the day and come home to dry clean clothes. The clothes do tend to be on the wrinkly side and if you put too much in the machine, you need to run the dryer cycle again. Overall, no complaints and beats the laundromat. We have been averaging about 2 loads a day since we purchased in May, only issue was a clogged drain pump because someone left something in their pants pocket.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like FT4NOW, we have the 2100X Splendide combo/vented unit. We negotiated for it when we bought the camper and let the dealer install it. They did a good job. There was a learning curve in figuring out how to properly use it but we are glad we got it. We throw a small load in it when we leave for the day and when we return the clothes are dry most of the time. Sometimes we have to dry them a little longer. The Admiral is not gonna wash her clothes in a washer that someone's dirty underwear just came out of, simple as that. Lol! Although we like it, you honestly would be hard pressed to keep up with an active family's laundry with this unit. There are only the two of us and we generally do one or two loads a day and are still hard pressed to stay ahead, especially during the colder months when we are wearing jeans and heavier clothing. We have the combo unit in one side and put our dirty clothes hamper in the other side of the front closet of our Solitude. The dryer is vented out the sidewall.
    The Capt and the Admiral
    Joe & Marilyn
    2017 Solitude 384 GK-R
    2017 F350 DRW FX4 6.7 PS, B&W Companion
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Splendide separate units, dryer is vented. Bought at and installed by our dealer.
    Lesson learned? The spin cycle will vibrate the camper. We use a tripod to absorb some of this, others use a different method. Far better to have a little vibration, for us, than packing all the dirty clothes to the campground laundrymat.
    Tom & Nancy
    Newport, MI
    369RL, #302

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the spin cycle on our LG washer REALLY shakes our rig! Free massage
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast