Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where to put Sure Guard remote panel on 310GK

I just installed a hardwired Southwire Surge Guard unit in my 2021 310GK and was looking for ideas about where people are placing the remote monitoring panel inside the rig. I've heard it can be a pain using the existing wire routing holes.

The Surge Guard is mounted in the basement.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210207_231549791.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	99.7 KB 
ID:	32026

Thanks,

Brian
    Brian and Lisa - Longmont, CO
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2022 F350 Lariat DRW Powerstroke
    Firestone airbags - WirelessOne Airlift
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brandtb1919 View Post
    I just installed a hardwired Southwire Surge Guard unit in my 2021 310GK and was looking for ideas about where people are placing the remote monitoring panel inside the rig. I've heard it can be a pain using the existing wire routing holes.

Thanks,

Brian
    I installed the Progressive Industries unit in our 310GK. I made a wooden filler piece and mounted the remote display below the convenience panel. I routed the wires from the basement up the hollow wall and out behind the filler piece. Pulling the wires was the hardest part. I removed the convenience panel to access and pull the wires.

Name:	20180510_170024.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	32027

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that idea Chris, it's kind of a wasted space anyway. Did you make your own holes in the hollow wall or use the existing ones GD used? Those things are stuffed.

Why are our pictures rotated? I cannot figure that one out.

Thanks,

Brian
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that idea Chris, it's kind of a wasted space anyway. Did you make your own holes in the hollow wall or use the existing ones GD used? Those things are stuffed.

Why are our pictures rotated? I cannot figure that one out.

Thanks,

Brian
    The Progressive Industries remote included a cord with phone/LAN connectors on each end. I drilled one hole in the bottom of the shelf above the display (pull out the light switches for good access) just large enough to get the RJ45(?) connector on the end of the factory cable through. The shelf is hallow and Grand Design uses it to route all of the wiring for the switches above the counter. It is at the top middle and you can not see it. I do not travel with anything on that shelf, so I am not worried about anything hitting the cord.

Rotated pictures are a common problem (or feature if you prefer). They can be corrected by editing the picture (anything to change the file slightly) and then resaving. Lots of discussion in the forum. Use the search function (upper right of every page) to find some of them.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks,

Brian
    Photos of my installation here.....
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed the Progressive Industries HW50C which has a remote monitor like your device.

I thought I wanted the monitor display inside the trailer with other trailer controls, but after frustrating attempts to snake anything through the existing wire conduits I gave up and installed it in the rear wall of the water control closet.

I've become very pleased that I wasn't competent or patient enough to snake the wire. I REALLY like having the display in the utility area so that I can watch it while setting up. I know immediately if there's a problem with the campsite pedestal or power quality, well before I finish setting up. IMO it should be checked every time shore power is connected.

In the years since I've had to go outside to look at the display just several times. Not a big sacrifice for the convenience of having it where I need it most of the time. YMMV.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    I installed the Progressive Industries HW50C which has a remote monitor like your device.

I thought I wanted the monitor display inside the trailer with other trailer controls, but after frustrating attempts to snake anything through the existing wire conduits I gave up and installed it in the rear wall of the water control closet.

I've become very pleased that I wasn't competent or patient enough to snake the wire. I REALLY like having the display in the utility area so that I can watch it while setting up. I know immediately if there's a problem with the campsite pedestal or power quality, well before I finish setting up. IMO it should be checked every time shore power is connected.

In the years since I've had to go outside to look at the display just several times. Not a big sacrifice for the convenience of having it where I need it most of the time. YMMV.
    Thanks Mark, I did consider that as well, especially since I plan to move the basement walls to gain back some of the area in the plumbing/wiring section. I figure I can get back a few square feet, it wasn't quite the rat's nest I was expecting.

Brian
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Mark, I did consider that as well, especially since I plan to move the basement walls to gain back some of the area in the plumbing/wiring section. I figure I can get back a few square feet, it wasn't quite the rat's nest I was expecting.
    Lucky you. Maybe GD is responding to criticism because "rat's nest" has certainly been the norm. People say that all trailers have been built like that for years. I wouldn't know, but our two 2018 Grand Design trailers have certainly both deserved that description.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brian
    Yes, Brian - as Mark shared, your one picture showing the basement street side area looks pretty non "rats nesty" lol ! Next time you have the basement panels removed, I would be curious how pictures look towards the middle and street side areas. Heck, your picture seems to show that the basement area looks pretty clean......nice !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canyonlight View Post
    Yes, Brian - as Mark shared, your one picture showing the basement street side area looks pretty non "rats nesty" lol ! Next time you have the basement panels removed, I would be curious how pictures look towards the middle and street side areas. Heck, your picture seems to show that the basement area looks pretty clean......nice !

Dan
    I just happen to have more pictures. The area behind the entry side is not too interesting, just the central vac. I was however disappointed to discover that the nut for the shower drain was completely loose. I'm sure the basement would have flooded after the first full shower. Goes to show how careful you are at the PDI, there is always something. I have not bought a perfect trailer yet. Gonna have to do more poking around and see what else was missed.

Name:	PXL_20210131_204220000.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	32037

Name:	PXL_20210131_204226332.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	98.6 KB 
ID:	32038

Name:	PXL_20210131_204235376.jpg