User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Triple Axle brakes and drums

Have our 376th for 3 years and maybe close to 10k on it brought it in for the warranty work on the microwave recall and had them check the breaks and tires they called and said the pads are worn out and left groove in the drums ask had to be replaced $1800.00 dollars trying to understand how they can go bad in less than 10k have f350 dually 6.7 power stroke with engine break aways when I pull .. does this sound right. Feel someone is trying to take advantage of me or could they be gone that quick in three years and is that normal price.
    Last edited by ClowcColorado; 02-10-2021 at 04:03 PM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesnt sound right at all. I had well over 15k on my Momentum, also triple axle, and the pads were not worn down. I'd ask for photos or to see the damage they claim. Maybe your brakes were set too tight for the initial adjustment or the gain was too high.

New assemblies are less than $100 per wheel, not sure on hub pricing, check etrailer, they sell it all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by FT4NOW; 02-10-2021 at 05:27 PM.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClowcColorado View Post
    Have our 376th for 3 years and maybe close to 10k on it brought it in for the warranty work on the microwave recall and had them check the breaks and tires they called and said the pads are worn out and left groove in the drums ask had to be replaced $1800.00 dollars trying to understand how they can go bad in less than 10k have f350 dually 6.7 power stroke with engine break aways when I pull .. does this sound right. Feel someone is trying to take advantage of me or could they be gone that quick in three years and is that normal price.
    I agree with @FT4NOW this does not sound right. Have you every had the bearings repacked (should have pulled the drums them) and/or had the brakes inspected before? What was the result? I would certainly require good pictures of the worn out pads and the drums. Were the brake assemblies damaged (not holding the brake shoes correctly) or other cause? If all brakes were worn out the same, I doubt it would be from damage. Do you have a diesel and use the exhaust brake when towing?

I have a double axle Solitude 310GK (typically about 11k# on the axles) and I run at a fairly high setting on the trailer brake controller. The last time I pulled the drums and checked the friction material and surfaces they were all good (between 0.170 to .210" of friction material (not including the backing) left). This was after 3 years of use and a little over 11k miles. The caveat is I pull, check and adjust the brakes (while inspecting and repacking the bearings) every year myself. I set the brake up so the wheel will spin multiple revolutions by hand without brakes applied (so little drag) and will still hold when retorquing the wheels (110 ft-#). This is cold and with the break away switch pulled.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, doesn't sound right. Definitely get some pics.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are pictures they sent me not an expert but they do look worn hard to tell for me.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xjsdsnb85...a_I7gFuLa?dl=0

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These are pictures they sent me not an expert but they do look worn hard to tell for me.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xjsdsnb85...a_I7gFuLa?dl=0
    Bottom line those shoes look cooked (as in excessive heat) and need to be replaced. It also looks like at least one of your inner wheel seals was leaking and contaminated the shoes and magnet. From the pictures, the drums/hubs could be serviceable if they were trued on a brake lathe, but nobody seems to do that anymore. Takes too much time and they don't want any potential liability.

Price wise, you'd have to look up the parts cost for both drums/hubs, wheel seals and possibly bearings (they would need to be cleaned and inspected prior to reuse), and brake assembly, times six. Then include labor at typically $120 per hour (I'd guesstimate 4 to 6 hours labor).

Just for reference, when I set my brake controller, I try to balance the truck and trailer. Optimally, I don't want the truck to feel like it's being pushed by the trailer (not enough gain), nor do I want to feel like the trailer is stopping the truck (too much gain). It should feel like it's stopping like one cohesive mass. Too much gain will overheat the trailer brakes and lead to premature service.

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with John above. But I will add...Before you spend the money to replace the drums get disc brakes.

My 2 cents worth.

Red
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leaking grease seals and bad drum brakes. Not sure what caused the shoes to lose bits of the material but to me, it looks like the shoe was bad. The cost of repair they quote should pay for all the disc brake parts required for a conversion. I also recommend changing over to disc brakes. It is a night and day difference with stopping power.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New brake assemblies are a little under $100 ea. Drums are another $100 ea. So there is about $1200 in parts alone for a 3 axle trailer. I'm thinking they were fair with you at $1800.
    Pam & Ed
    "Just Kruse'n"

Momentum 376TH (New 11/04/2016)
    Full Timing since 11/04/2016
    2017 Ram 3500 DRW Aisin 3.73

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tamrick View Post
    I also recommend changing over to disc brakes. It is a night and day difference with stopping power.
    No question about it. If you're replacing a bunch of drum brake parts, just throw them all in the recycle bin and get a disc brake conversion.
    Not only does it work far better than a crappy magnetic drum system, it's FAR easier to maintain. Pad swaps are super easy.

Here's where I got most of my parts - https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...Conversion+Kit
    signature

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast