Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

395ms with Ram Megacab Short Bed

I believe we have the RV narrowed down and its the Grand Design Momentum 395ms. Also have a new tow rig on order (1/8/2021) and its a 21 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW. I know its a short bed and will need some care in turns unless you go with a slider or other device to limit (or really increase) cab to trailer distance.

So - one option I would lean towards is the Reese Goosebox. I have the GN prep included because I want the holes clean and like the puck system. Was thinking about swapping out the oem GN hitch for a B&W one that has the square hole so I can use the 4" offset ball. Million dollar question is do you feel this will get me close to 90* or at least to a point where I don't need to pucker-up every time I make a wide turn or try backing into a spot.

Really don't want to do a slider.

Suggestions and comments welcomed. Thanks guys.

Rolling Along
    Whatever state the landing gear sits upon (Texas c
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NDanecker View Post
    I believe we have the RV narrowed down and its the Grand Design Momentum 395ms. Also have a new tow rig on order (1/8/2021) and its a 21 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW. I know its a short bed and will need some care in turns unless you go with a slider or other device to limit (or really increase) cab to trailer distance.

So - one option I would lean towards is the Reese Goosebox. I have the GN prep included because I want the holes clean and like the puck system. Was thinking about swapping out the oem GN hitch for a B&W one that has the square hole so I can use the 4" offset ball. Million dollar question is do you feel this will get me close to 90* or at least to a point where I don't need to pucker-up every time I make a wide turn or try backing into a spot.

Really don't want to do a slider.

Suggestions and comments welcomed. Thanks guys.
    I would be uncomfortable with the goosebox hitting the sides of the truck bed. I've seen a few with issues of it coming into contact with the truck bed before it would come into contact with the cab depending on angle of trailer. It's harder to tell as well. There's a youtuber called SwitchItUp and he's a bit off but has a goosebox on a 395MS with a Ram 3500 DRW and I bdlieve it's a short bed. Might be able to comment on his video and find out.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to keep in mind about the Reese Goosebox is that the pin weight capacity is only 4,000lbs, which you are likely to exceed with a fully loaded 395ms.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have a long bed crew cab (same as my old 2014 truck). With the kids getting bigger and needing a place for our 80lb lab I picked the Megacab this time around. I honestly hope the pros outweigh the cons of the shorter bed.

They do a nice job walking through the Momentum 395ms if anyone is interested.

https://youtu.be/nYykdajXX3U

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alkbch View Post
    One thing to keep in mind about the Reese Goosebox is that the pin weight capacity is only 4,000lbs, which you are likely to exceed with a fully loaded 395ms.
    Good catch. Looks like Gen Y has some solutions albeit that will most likely void the Lippert frame warranty.