User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 momentum 350G 7000# axles

I'm just ordering a 2021 momentum 350G toy hauler with std 7000#axles. The toy haulers has 3 ac's, generator, happy Jack, 3 season door and only one awning. I've recently read that loading the garage heavy (2500#s) will result in the 7000# axles being overloaded. Anyone have any experience with a heavily loaded garage with 7000# axles on a 2021 350G? I assume it could also result in a decrease in pin weight. Should I upgrade to 8000# axles? If the axles are upgraded will it also up the GVWR from 16900? Thanks for help.. excited to join the Grand Design family... Dennis
    Last edited by ratpowered; 02-10-2021 at 08:41 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are looking at ordering a 351M. If we do, we will definately upgrade the axles. With a full 150+ gallon water tank plus our Ranger (1200 lbs) in the back, there isn't much carrying capacity left. I was told upgrading the axles would increase the GVWR to 18k. I want the disc brakes too.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we have 2018 349 one of our main concerns when buying was the lack of cargo capacity. the unit has to a/c no second bath. we removed the happy jack seating tailgate fencing and no 3 season door. We hall two DH full dressed weighing just under 2,000 lb. and are always pushing the 14,000 lb. You will always be heavier on the left side from layout We our very weight cautious all the time and have checked axles several times. I would not buy now with out the 8,000 axles. We are scheduled for morryde I S with 8,000 and disc brake. I knew this will not raise the gvw but I knew that axles will be ok. I fell this will be moneys well spent. We also find hauling 75 gal of water in the front tank only went the bike are in will give a better ride. I Install a valve to shut of wear tank as it will put most of the weight on the axles

These weights with both bikes 75 gal of water holding tanks empty and we had bee on the work for a mouth so loaded. weight was taken at the GD national rally
    right front 3,200 rear 3,100
    Left front 3,675 Rear 3,550
    Total 13,525
    I had weight other time with happy jack and fencing and was over the 14,000
    My pin weight was 3,600
    I weighted the pin when new no water just the 2 m/c and the hijackers and fencing were still in
    pin 2,940 lb
    same with one m/c
    pin was 3,200

I would check with GD direct to make sour Add 8,000 lb axles it will increase gvw sticker
    Hope this will help

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 350m with 7K axles. If I were ordering new , I would definitely up grade to the 8K axles.
    Chuck & Trish
    2017 350M
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW
    2014 HD Roadking

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are 8K axles new for the -G series? I don't recall seeing this as an option a few months back...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes 8K axles w/disc brakes are an option now listed for around msrp= $4957 and the dealer was more than happy to take my money .. Now I'm wondering if the brake controller in my 2019 F350 TV is compatible with the EOH for the disc brakes... Anyone have experience with the newer Ford brake controllers and the GD EOH pumps for their disc brakes?

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a GD 320G on order with the 8K axles and disc brakes. Was a no-brainer for me when I found out that it is easy to exceed the 7K axles before the gvwr of the trailer.

I think they started offering the upgrade at the end of January. The build sheet I have was updated on 1/29, so maybe then.
    Last edited by Wileykid; 03-12-2021 at 06:52 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone replaced the 7K axles with the 8K axles after your purchase? I was wondering if it is a direct change over or if the hangers need to be replaced as well. We are over weight on our 351M and looking for a solution before we end up selling the 351M and going to the 381M.
    2020 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
    2018 351M Momentum Toy Hauler
    2015 Can Am Turbo Maverick - sold
    2019 Can Am X3 XRS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was exactly this reason that steered us away from the 2 axle trailers to the 3 axle. Then once I decided to upgrade the axles/brakes, the driver ended up being the living space of the 395MS vs the 351M or similar. In that case it was not as much a driver, but we still upgraded to the 8k axles and disc brakes to get the 21K GVW. Headroom is a good thing.

We may even eventually go with the Morryde IS, but now we have the 21K rating regardless.
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum
    2019 Starcraft Mossy Oak 26BH - Getting ready to sell!
    2021 Momentum 395MS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpowered View Post
    yes 8K axles w/disc brakes are an option now listed for around msrp= $4957 and the dealer was more than happy to take my money .. Now I'm wondering if the brake controller in my 2019 F350 TV is compatible with the EOH for the disc brakes... Anyone have experience with the newer Ford brake controllers and the GD EOH pumps for their disc brakes?
    I have a 2019 F350 and Disc brakes on a momentum 351 that I installed myself, Controller works fine. Also if you've never had disc brakes before you won't believe the difference, I would never have a big Fifth wheel again without them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast